OT: Off-Topic Thread Episode VIII: Daisy Dukes Sharkinis On Top

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
ok Flames fans, I come here with a completely random question. Sure I could have gone to any of the Canadian team forums for this, but the pizza GDT showed me that your collective personality styles jive just right with mine.

Anyways,

My wife loves watching shows on HGTV, like Property Brothers, House Hunters, and Love it or List it. The latter seeming to take place in a lot of different areas around Canada. Here's where our question comes in.

Are the prices of homes up in Canada just insanely expensive? These couples have houses that are valued at 500k and up and seek out stuff in the 700k-1 million range. Now, being a homeowner myself, I can get an incredibly nice house for say 350k here in Minnesota. That's a house with like 3 car garage, 4 bed, 3 bath, finished basement, beautiful kitchen, etc etc. Given these shows, 350k would get us like a RV up there. Where as we see people dropping 800k for a single story house. So, people of Calgary, help us understand the housing situation in Canada.

Thanks in advance.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Depending on the city, you'll find drastically different prices.

In Calgary, you might be able to get a one bedroom condo for about $225,000. That's about as cheap as you'll find.

I think the average price for a home here in Calgary is currently around $450,000. Edmonton is probably similar. You'd be looking at $600,000+ for a nice house, and near a million for a fantastic house.

Other cities (Winnipeg, Regina, Vancouver) will have different values.

www.realtor.ca - will give you an idea of prices.

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Depending on the city, you'll find drastically different prices.

In Calgary, you might be able to get a one bedroom condo for about $225,000. That's about as cheap as you'll find.

I think the average price for a home here in Calgary is currently around $450,000. Edmonton is probably similar. You'd be looking at $600,000+ for a nice house, and near a million for a fantastic house.

Other cities (Winnipeg, Regina, Vancouver) will have different values.

www.realtor.ca - will give you an idea of prices.

nice, thanks for the ultra quick reply (see why I love you guys)

So then it seems like it boils down to the difference between the CAD and the USD. But even still, when I look at the exchange rate, there is only a quarter worth of difference. Gonna play around on realtor.ca and see what I can come up with. I can say though, it looks like there are some beautiful nature scenes in various parts of the country. Unfortunately the shows don't say what cities they are working in.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Any of those shows that show a Canadian city, you can almost guarantee it'll be in Toronto or surrounding areas, which aren't inductive of what housing prices are with the rest of Canada. Places in Vancouver and Toronto are going to be much more expensive than places compared to Calgary or Edmonton.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Not bad, was fairly easy except for that one Ch. 7 (I think that was the chapter) question. You?
Totally blanked on the early stuff from chapters 2 and 3 but I figured it out (I think) after jumping ahead to the more recent stuff. Overall I was pleased with how it went.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Right on, that makes sense. Major metro cities command a higher price tag everywhere.

Another thing to consider is what your occupation is and what you are willing to handle in terms of your daily commute. Living out in the suburbs you'll get a lot more for your dollar, but if you have a white collar downtown job, your daily commute can be as much as an hour each way, plus parking in downtown Calgary is ridiculously high.

If you don't need to be in the city or mind the extra drive, surrounding towns (about ~1/2 hour from Calgary city limits) such as Okotoks, Cochrane, Airdrie, and/or Chestermere offer even more for your dollar, have lower property taxes, and you still get the scenery without the big city hustle and bustle. I work with a lot of people who live in these towns and they don't mind the commute at all.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It's funny you mention that, commute is an issue that comes up a ton. Makes sense though.

For people that choose to commute from far, are there adequate public transport options?

Depends on where you live. If you're near the train stations, it's great. Not so much if you're not. The further out you are, the buses are less frequent.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Kind of weird. I'm coming up to the time when I can enter the housing market myself, so I've been paying attention to this kind of thing. Looking at the price-range of about $400K or so, that buys me an absolute ****hole within the city limits here in Victoria. However, if I'm willing to live in one of the suburbs which requires a commute going through the "Colwood crawl" (it's a crazy bottle-neck stretch of road that backs up for kilometres during rush hour), then that same money can get me a nice-sized property with a house with three bedrooms, three bathrooms etc.

As they say, location location location.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Guys?

I need to convince the Mrs. to let me get the half season package of Gamecentre Live for the next four games.

Give me some valid arguments, other than "BUT I WANT IIIIIIIIIIT" or "These are very important games."

If she can't understand the importance of a playoff race... :shakehead

:sarcasm:

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
RaginStajan, I bought EU IV and all its DLC for $28 on Steam this afternoon. I ended up playing it last night till 1:30 in the morning not realizing how much time had passed until I looked at my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad