OT: Off-Topic Thread Episode VIII: Daisy Dukes Sharkinis On Top

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
3 movies you guys should check out are...

Birdman: First, this cast was stellar. It just one best ensemble at the SAGs and it deserved it. It said so much about films today. You are absolutely drawn into the film from the first scene. The film didn't drag at all. When it finished you just wanted more and more. It's just such an experience.

Nightcrawler: Nightcrawler gives you a haunting look a the behind the scenes of the nightly news. This the best character piece of the year that Jake Gyllenhaal perfectly plays. He transforms and you don't see any Jake Gyllenhaal in Louis Bloom. It's this generations Taxi Driver and also draws comparisons to American Psycho. This also had some great dark comedy

Whiplash: As soon as the movie starts, it sucks you in. Miles Tellar and J.K Simmonds are brilliant together. J.K Simmonds gave the best performance of the year IMO. The ending was exhilarating and made you want to watch it again right after. watching Miles Teller chase his dream and try to explain why he loves drumming so much was very hard to watch at some points but it's something everyone can relate to. It stays with you for weeks after you see it. It brilliantly plays of the student/mentor relationship and really makes you think weather he was pushing him to be great or discouraging him.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
That new Kendrick song tho

55d07a15409e187ba6d45d80857f6ed7.375x375x52.gif

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Late night thoughts of a typical young adult time

Still very uncertain about what I want to with my life, in my fourth semester of Business and have decided to go towards Accounting due to my inability to ever like anything I have ever taken. Have been told it is a secure and rewarding job if you are fairly decent with numbers, which I am, although I have done little research because I just dont care tbh. I have spent all my time since high school "getting by", because the thought of working FT at a non-perfect job is worse than what I am doing. I spent all summer doing FT labor and I absolutely hated it (hit a life low point). I severely lack any skills, I suffer from being very average, I have always been naturally intelligent enough to get by but have absolutely 0 motivation. My work ethic is awful, I will maybe study for an hour for midterms/finals or write an essay the morning its due. My marks arent awful, but like anybody they could be better (id say average but above average for someone as lazy as me). I am poor at communicating, a mix of feeling everyone else either has it figured out or just are really good at pretending they do. I dont advertise myself at all, I make it very clear I do not want to be where I am but in a self conceited way (I dont run around complaining about everything, I dont like talking about myself because I have no clue what to say). I turned 18 in 2013 and started to drink A LOT (well 1-2 times a week but to the point of black out), I assumed it was a phase at first but now two years later not much has changed (only once a week now, still black out, but VERY good at managing drunk self). Even at this point I am not quite sure where I am going with this rant, just like my life. I want to have goals, I want to feel good about myself, I want others to see I actually give a ****. I have no clue where to start, I honestly dont like anything worth making a career out of. I also dont want to opt out of school when I have already put multiple years into it unless I am 100% sure about pursuing something else (but what?). I was just wondering if any of you have been in this position and made a decision that made a big impact or wish you had. I havent actually told anybody this stuff before except for my brother and mother. I have known I needed change in life for about a year now but cant for the life of me figure out how. I have friends, a loving family, not too shabby with the ladies ;), and am psychically fit, so I dont understand why I cant be proud of that and do something with my life.

EDT: Btw, I have been told a lot that I lack self confidence and am known to give up easy (which is why I dont want to give up on Accounting)

Last edited:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Still very uncertain about what I want to with my life, in my fourth semester of Business and have decided to go towards Accounting due to my inability to ever like anything I have ever taken. Have been told it is a secure and rewarding job if you are fairly decent with numbers, which I am, although I have done little research because I just dont care tbh. I have spent all my time since high school "getting by", because the thought of working FT at a non-perfect job is worse than what I am doing. I spent all summer doing FT labor and I absolutely hated it (hit a life low point). I severely lack any skills, I suffer from being very average, I have always been naturally intelligent enough to get by but have absolutely 0 motivation. My work ethic is awful, I will maybe study for an hour for midterms/finals or write an essay the morning its due. My marks arent awful, but like anybody they could be better (id say average but above average for someone as lazy as me). I am poor at communicating, a mix of feeling everyone else either has it figured out or just are really good at pretending they do. I dont advertise myself at all, I make it very clear I do not want to be where I am but in a self conceited way (I dont run around complaining about everything, I dont like talking about myself because I have no clue what to say). I turned 18 in 2013 and started to drink A LOT (well 1-2 times a week but to the point of black out), I assumed it was a phase at first but now two years later not much has changed (only once a week now, still black out, but VERY good at managing drunk self). Even at this point I am not quite sure where I am going with this rant, just like my life. I want to have goals, I want to feel good about myself, I want others to see I actually give a ****. I have no clue where to start, I honestly dont like anything worth making a career out of. I also dont want to opt out of school when I have already put multiple years into it unless I am 100% sure about pursuing something else (but what?). I was just wondering if any of you have been in this position and made a decision that made a big impact or wish you had. I havent actually told anybody this stuff before except for my brother and mother. I have known I needed change in life for about a year now but cant for the life of me figure out how. I have friends, a loving family, not too shabby with the ladies ;), and am psychically fit, so I dont understand why I cant be proud of that and do something with my life.

EDT: Btw, I have been told a lot that I lack self confidence and am known to give up easy (which is why I dont want to give up on Accounting)

This hits home for me. I'm right there with you, man (even at the same school... in the same degree program... although I'm no good at accounting lol)

I don't know what to do with my life either. It causes me a lot of anxiety thinking about how I'm supposed to graduate next year but I have no real direction unless I get a burst of inspiration in the next 18 months. My biggest goal at this point (regarding my career) is to just find something I like doing, but it's never that easy. It could take cycling through hundreds of jobs before I find something I legitimately enjoy. But the thought of spending x years of my life doing something I have no passion for... that sounds like a nightmare. Money is cool but it's not really important to me if I'm not happy.

All this to say, I don't really have any advice for you. But it might help to know that you're definitely not alone in your way of thinking. :)

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
FF18 and DBU, you're not the only two either. I am currently not in school and just working the 40 hour grind, knowingly that I need to eventually start going to school if I ever want to progress in life. My story is a little different though. Ever since my ex broke up with me after 19 and a half months, I barely socialize. Because my life pretty much revolved around her after work, now I don't do anything. I want to go to school, but I am super lazy. I have motivation to do anything, but I just don't do it. I've struggled getting back out there. I only really socialize if I go to church. I have a loving family as well, but my friends all live on the other side of the valley. As for girls, haha... That could use work. I haven't really necessarily flirted or looked for "potential prospects" since my break up 3 months ago. It's still hitting me hard, and do know it's the center to my problems. I want to get over her, but it's been hard.

Back to school, I was in for the accounting degree as well, but I only did a semester and am not into it anymore. I know I want to do something in business, but just don't know the right job for me. My fear is I go to school for something, work hard on that degree, and then some other job I love more comes along.

Anyway, aside from my mixed thoughts, just know you two aren't the only ones.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Guys, by the sounds of things you all sound young. I'm sorry to hear that you're all going through struggles, but let me assure you that struggles in life never end. What is troubling to hear though is the lack of motivation/passion you have. Have any of you ever consider travelling? I'm talking about going to a place like Australia or Europe over an extended period of time. Canada is amazing, but it's only one place. Going to other parts of the world (rich and poor places) is very eye opening and I find really makes you self reflect and teaches you things about yourself and what you like. It is also way more educational than anything I've ever learned in a textbook.

While you guys are still young and are not tied down with families, I'd highly recommend to go and explore different parts of the world.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

From what you have posted here it sounds like you have the intelligence to succeed but lack the motivation to do so. It seems like a lot of people go to school expecting to find their 'passion' and 'dream job'. The reality is that most people end up doing pretty regular jobs, like being an accountant. Instead of focusing on being motivated for the job itself, try and focus on what having that job would allow you to do, and what passions having a good stable job would allow you to pursue.

If you are consistently blacking out from drinking, and doing it often then you absolutely have a problem with alcohol. The thing about that is that no one can make you accept that you have a problem with it but you.

I can really relate to being poor at communicating because I was like that for years and years, even in college. Someone had to get to know me quite well before I would open up. If you feel you are poor at communicating then like anything else only practice will make you better at it. You should maybe consider joining Toastmasters or a similar organization. It will teach you people, presenting and socializing skills without the expectation that you actually be good at it from the start.

Remember that there are a ton of people who feel exactly the way the you do when they young adults. The illusion that everyone has their stuff so much more together than you is just that, an illusion. There is a significant number of people in the same situation as you feeling the same way and viewing their peers just like you do. Accept the fact that its okay to not have it all figured out yet. Its okay to make mistakes, even big ones like pursuing something that in the end you end up not liking. That is how you figure out what you really want to do in the long run. Try to always keep your own problems in perspective and you will probably realize that the crises that you feel are weighing you down are manageable and that you are capable or dealing with and defeating them.

Also if any of you guys ever want to just meet up and grab a beer I am down, you all seem like good dudes.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Guys, by the sounds of things you all sound young. I'm sorry to hear that you're all going through struggles, but let me assure you that struggles in life never end. What is troubling to hear though is the lack of motivation/passion you have. Have any of you ever consider travelling? I'm talking about going to a place like Australia or Europe over an extended period of time. Canada is amazing, but it's only one place. Going to other parts of the world (rich and poor places) is very eye opening and I find really makes you self reflect and teaches you things about yourself and what you like. It is also way more educational than anything I've ever learned in a textbook.

While you guys are still young and are not tied down with families, I'd highly recommend to go and explore different parts of the world.

Yeah. I've actually booked a five week trip to Europe for this summer for that reason. I mean I don't want to put that kind of pressure on it because I want to enjoy myself and just forget about life for a bit, but I do have a bit of hope that maybe I'll learn something about myself that will help me figure out my path.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Same here guys. Accounting isn't my first choice, would love to do History but English isn't my forte. I just can't motivate myself to do the work sometimes. I get headaches when I start thinking too hard, because of the concussions I have sustained over the years. It's rough. I only went into accounting because my parents badgered me about it"good job, Set for life" etc.. and I am pretty good with numbers, so yeah.

Semester 2 isn't going as well as the 1st.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Instead of focusing on being motivated for the job itself, try and focus on what having that job would allow you to do, and what passions having a good stable job would allow you to pursue.

II dropping some serious wisdom here. Exactly right. Your life isn't about what you do at work. Work is a means to an end in the vast majority of cases. You want to be stably employed so that you never have to worry about money, and you can just go out and do all the things that interest you in your free time. You want to get to a state where no matter what it is you want to do, you know it's just a matter of time.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Same here guys. Accounting isn't my first choice, would love to do History but English isn't my forte. I just can't motivate myself to do the work sometimes. I get headaches when I start thinking too hard, because of the concussions I have sustained over the years. It's rough. I only went into accounting because my parents badgered me about it"good job, Set for life" etc.. and I am pretty good with numbers, so yeah.

Semester 2 isn't going as well as the 1st.

Hey, you and I are pretty much in the same boat. You're just further ahead.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
From what you have posted here it sounds like you have the intelligence to succeed but lack the motivation to do so. It seems like a lot of people go to school expecting to find their 'passion' and 'dream job'. The reality is that most people end up doing pretty regular jobs, like being an accountant. Instead of focusing on being motivated for the job itself, try and focus on what having that job would allow you to do, and what passions having a good stable job would allow you to pursue.

If you are consistently blacking out from drinking, and doing it often then you absolutely have a problem with alcohol. The thing about that is that no one can make you accept that you have a problem with it but you.

I can really relate to being poor at communicating because I was like that for years and years, even in college. Someone had to get to know me quite well before I would open up. If you feel you are poor at communicating then like anything else only practice will make you better at it. You should maybe consider joining Toastmasters or a similar organization. It will teach you people, presenting and socializing skills without the expectation that you actually be good at it from the start.

Remember that there are a ton of people who feel exactly the way the you do when they young adults. The illusion that everyone has their stuff so much more together than you is just that, an illusion. There is a significant number of people in the same situation as you feeling the same way and viewing their peers just like you do. Accept the fact that its okay to not have it all figured out yet. Its okay to make mistakes, even big ones like pursuing something that in the end you end up not liking. That is how you figure out what you really want to do in the long run. Try to always keep your own problems in perspective and you will probably realize that the crises that you feel are weighing you down are manageable and that you are capable or dealing with and defeating them.

Also if any of you guys ever want to just meet up and grab a beer I am down, you all seem like good dudes.
That bolded is some seriously great advice II.

I will also add that even if you find that job you love where you enjoy going to work everyday that it's not all roses. What you love may be rewarding on a personal level but often it is not on a financial level.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Great words II!

One more little piece of advice I'd like to add is this, "be happy". It sounds so simple but it's really what life is all about IMO and probably the most complex question you will ever try to solve in your life.

That's why I suggested to go travelling because that uncovers a lot about yourself that you may not of known. Sometimes, depending on what you do your job may be irrelevant as II said, it is just enabling you to enjoy the things that you really like to do. But in other cases, work may be a real issue because you spend the majority of days working and if you absolutely hate your job, only you have the control to change the path you want to go down. If you don't love your job, but don't hate either and it's paying supporting you quite well, then really I would say focus on doing things in your spare time that you are passionate about.

For me personally having a family really changed my life, and I'm not saying to go out and get people knocked up either lol. But seriously, it really put **** in perspective for me. Before I had my daughter I never wanted kids. I loved my life, I answered to no one, had/have a good job, could work out every day, drink every weekend and be a couch potato the next day and not have to worry about what everyone said. I turned 30 which was the best year of my life, but it literally went by in the blink of an eye. So one day when I was 31, I thought was thinking to myself after a hard night of drinking, that I've been doing the same damn thing every single weekend for basically the last 10 years of my life. Then I asked myself is this what I really want out of life. Shortly after that, me and my then GF took a trip to Cabo and started trying to have a kid on that trip, she was pregnant after one month of trying lol.

Since we've had our daughter our relationship has improved greatly. I never wanted to get married either, but after seeing my little girl I wanted to have the full family experience for myself, wife and especially my daughter. Again I'm not saying to anyone to do what I did, but I was very honest with myself and had a TON of self reflection about what I wanted out of life. I work for living, but my life is my family. Find out what really drives you and don't let anyone stop you from getting it. If you don't know what that something is, well then you need to go on a journey (not necessarily a literal journey) to discover what that something is.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
For my part, every time I've reached a crossroads so far in my life, I've taken the path of least resistance and just stayed in school. Got to the end of my Bachelor's and didn't know what I wanted to do, so I went into grad school. Got to the end of my Master's and didn't know what to do, so I'm transferring to a PhD. I think my fall-back is to eventually become a teacher, but I think I can be most effective as an R&D scientist with some kind of evil corporation.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

****. This is so true and I'm a sucker for forgetting it all the damn time. I just worry about everything so much that I get in the mindset of "I must do what I love or it will be a waste of time" but as you said, it won't be a waste if it helps me pursue stuff I actually enjoy. I really need to write that point on my forehead or something lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad