OT: 'Off topic' thoughts

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I get tired of the assumption made by people I speak to that their being a parent makes them busier than me, de facto. The way in which we are each busy looks quite different, but my schedule would make some of their heads spin.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CHECK ON THE GODFATHER OF HOCKEY

Screenshot_2024-06-14-07-17-44~3.png

TEH ILLUMINATI HAVE ALREADY DEPLOYED HIS DOPPELGANGER.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY YA'LL, GOD HELP OUR SOULS.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Keep the politics out of this thread, unless your goal is to get it shut down. Thanks in advance

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Any blues fans here? I've always known Slash as the guitarist for Guns and Roses which isn't my thing, didn't realize that he's also a solo artist and he has a blues album coming out soon. A few days ago I stumbled across this single from the upcoming album which was released only a few days ago I think and I thought wow, this is the best new thing I've seen in some time. Featuring Brian Johnson from AC/DC on vocals (who sounds most excellent singing in a lower register) and Steve Tyler on harp. I didn't know he played harp and you know what, his solo on this excellent. I also love the fact that they feature the original artist Howlin Wolf on the video, full marks from me for everything!

I've been a big blues fan since the 60s, listening to early Stones, John Mayall, Silverleaf, and so on. I found CJRT when it first started up, and one of the first times I listened they played three very different versions of 'House of the Rising Sun' in a row.

Speaking of Howlin' Wolf, I have an original pressing of 'The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions', featuring him playing with Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Bill Wyman, and Charlie Watts. It also includes Ian Stewart, Klaus Voormann, and Ringo Starr on a few cuts.

Here's their version of 'Killing Floor':

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I've been a big blues fan since the 60s, listening to early Stones, John Mayall, Silverleaf, and so on. I found CJRT when it first started up, and one of the first times I listened they played three very different versions of 'House of the Rising Sun' in a row.

Speaking of Howlin' Wolf, I have an original pressing of 'The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions', featuring him playing with Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Bill Wyman, and Charlie Watts. It also includes Ian Stewart, Klaus Voormann, and Ringo Starr on a few cuts.

this is worth a listen, recorded in the Hammer..........

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Listening to this now, thanks for sharing, sounds amazing!!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Listening to this now, thanks for sharing, sounds amazing!!
That cut isn't on the original vinyl, but there was a 2 CD set issued in 2003 (?) that included it, along with lots more.

Another great one is the 2 CD + DVD live recording of John Mayall's 70th birthday party concert in Liverpool, in 2003. It happens to be the first time Eric Clapton and Mick Taylor played with the Bluesbreakers since the 60s.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That cut isn't on the original vinyl, but there was a 2 CD set issued in 2003 (?) that included it, along with lots more.

Another great one is the 2 CD + DVD live recording of John Mayall's 70th birthday party concert in Liverpool, in 2003. It happens to be the first time Eric Clapton and Mick Taylor played with the Bluesbreakers since the 60s.
Yes I've seen that DVD, excellent stuff!

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
So I'm doing a Quebec tour with the family next week, QC, MTL ending in Ottawa at a buddies. He just told me he got stoned the other day and bought us tickets to Blues Fest on the Fri to see Nickelback live... He found it amusing. 😂. That's one band I'd never thought I'd see live. Can't wait to eat poutine all week tho! Chez Ashton's here I come!!!

• Love
Reactions: BallardEra

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Took the kids to Wonderland yesterday.

Here are a few highlights:

$26 for 2 slices of pepperoni pizza

$40 for a footlong BLT and 3 pops

$16 for a tall boy

$45 for gate. Not bad!!! (But an additional $125 + hst for fast pass. Kind of important if you actually want to go on more than 2 rides all day)

Water park included with gate price!!! ($40 for a locker to store your stuff)

$30 is the cheapest option for arcade card - no pay as you go option.

We go once a year basically. I know that it's going to be expensive going in to it.

I'm a pretty successful guy and do well for myself - this isn't going to affect me financially at all. That said, that was obnoxious. I really feel for your average family who have to wait in the 2 hour lines, eat their packed lunches in the parking lot and not get to play any of the games.

Those are all 1st world problems - I get it, but for once a year families like ours, it would be nice to go and have fun, treat the kids with some treats and games and not worry about the rest of the weeks groceries.

Signed,

A die hard Capaitolist

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I get tired of the assumption made by people I speak to that their being a parent makes them busier than me, de facto. The way in which we are each busy looks quite different, but my schedule would make some of their heads spin.
you may be the exception, but it is a fair assumption for most... especially if you're a parent with >1 kid

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
you may be the exception, but it is a fair assumption for most... especially if you're a parent with >1 kid

I don’t think it really is a fair assumption necessarily without knowing what people have going on in their lives. Also while there are obviously plenty of single parents out there, the majority of child care/raising is split amongst a group of people (mother, father, grandparents, aunts/uncles in some families play bigger roles, daycare, teachers/educators, coaches) and the level of day to day busyness varies highly by the number of the children, their ages and interests. Would certainly never minimize how busy children make their parents lives, but I dont often see the same respect in reverse. A great many people without their own children can and do also lead exceptionally full and busy lives.

Last edited:

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I don’t think it really is a fair assumption necessarily without knowing what people have going on in their lives. Also while there are obviously plenty of single parents out there, the majority of child care/raising is split amongst a group of people (mother, father, grandparents, aunts/uncles in some families play bigger roles, daycare, teachers/educators, coaches) and the level of day to day busyness varies highly by the number of the children, their ages and interests. Would certainly never minimize how busy children make their parents lives, but I dont often see the same respect in reverse. A great many people without their own children can and do also lead exceptionally full and busy lives.
Your really busy, apparently, now do it with children and no sleep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad