Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

broc

Dec 20, 2010
So there was a reason why they didn't actually get 13. Nobody gave anything for him the Jets wanted. Their leverage isn't going to improve or even stay what it was two days ago now that there is more uncertainty around everyone's draft position for next year. I don't think teams are really willing to give what Jets fans are being led to believe is out there.
Jets have heard for YEARS,”you’re not going to get fair value”, or to “be prepared to be underwhelmed at the return”, “Jets don’t have any leverage”

We’ve heard this about Evander Kane, Jacob Trouba, PLD, Laine,etc

Each time Chevy got back good.

So yeah, the terrible offer of a 2nd rd pick isn’t gonna make Chevy blink

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
To :hawks
W Rutger McGroarty

To :jets
D Wyatt Kaiser
Leafs 2025 1st round pick (Top 10 protected)

Jets get a 21 yr. old dman who plays both LD or RD (Shots left) and played in NHL/AHL last year finishing year in NHL (Before going back for AHL playoffs) and a 1st for coming draft

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
W Rutger McGroarty

D Wyatt Kaiser

Jets get a 21 yr. old dman who plays both LD or RD (Shots left) and played in NHL/AHL last year finishing year in NHL (Before going back for AHL playoffs) and a 1st for coming draft
this doesn't help the jets at all

Reactions: Snowman

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
W Rutger McGroarty

D Wyatt Kaiser

Jets need RHD
This does nothing for us

Reactions: Snowman

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
But we took Rutger at #14 and he has since continued to perform at at least that quality - why would we downgrade to ~35?
I think the other poster is off on his compensation for the loss of a 1st rounder. As I understand it, the Jets would get the 14th pick in the 2nd round if it came to that. By my math that would be 46, not 56. Ultimately I think what he/she is getting at is that the Sharks 2nd round pick next year is likely to be much better than the Jets compensation pick of 46 when that time comes - not chance it comes to that in my opinion.

Not a Jets fan so just an outsider. Clearly that isn't enough even though I understand the logic. There are multiple teams with interest so even if the draft compensation comes down to a 2nd, there will be more involved to get McGroarty. I have no idea what that is but I'm anxiously watching Columbus closely on this one. Althoug based on what it appears Waddell wants to build, I'm not sure McGroarty is the high end skater he appears to covet, but he has so many other traits that fit what I think CBJ is trying to get to.

Reactions: squashmaple

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Do Jets fans have a list of RDs they'd consider acceptable? I'm not seeing a ton out there that makes sense from the rebuilding teams.
Hard to say because it depends on several factors…
Is it McG alone, McG + pick(s), or maybe a Ehlers + McG package…or will it be Ehlers (+) for and RHD and McG for a young C/RW prospect
I know what I’d like to see happen, and that is likely different from what other Jets fans want…and also depends on if it’s even an available option.
Also, because nothing absolutely needs to be done until next TDL at the earliest, Chevy has all kinds of time to shop and deal
It’s a fluid situation that’s hard to call

Reactions: Buffdog

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I just don't think any team trades for him without some sort of ironc.ad guarantee....sign and trade or something
I think any team trading for him will know that he will sign, just like 90% of the free agents who will magically have there contracts done at 12:01 tomorrow

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Is it still expected that this kid gets moved despite it not happening at the draft? If I was the Jets I wouldn't really have a huge amount of urgency to get it done now unless someone meets their asking price, can always wait til the deadline and move him for help then when you have a better understanding of where other teams 2025 first are gonna land.

Also I know some Jets reporters have said the bruins are one of teams that are really interested, but I just don't see a package that really gets to 13 OA level value. Like would our 2025 first + Lysell get it there? Probably not, and I don't think the bruins would even consider either Lohrei or Poitras.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad