Proposal: Off Season Trade Thread vol. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The worst part about this - Murray is apparently only shopping him to the west even though he has one year remaining on his contract in which he can sign in the east a year from now anyways.

If you can't afford him/don't want the player long-term, you shouldn't give two ***** where you trade him to as long as you get the best deal possible.

I always hated how GMs would refuse to trade a player to the same conference.

Well he traded Bishop...to the same division.

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
Love the optics on this one; for months there have been rumours about Spezza being shopped. Then last week its reported (I think it was Yost) says that Melnyk is reallly sensitive to another backlash ala Alfie. Now we're hearing about the exit meeting, blah blah. Yeah, Jason's idea - has definitely not been run out of town by a combination of ownership and the media.

Oct 10, 2010
Love the optics on this one; for months there have been rumours about Spezza being shopped. Then last week its reported (I think it was Yost) says that Melnyk is reallly sensitive to another backlash ala Alfie. Now we're hearing about the exit meeting, blah blah. Yeah, Jason's idea - has definitely not been run out of town by a combination of ownership and the media.

They'll probably turn this into trying to make Spezza the bad guy like they did with Alfie.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
The worst part about this - Murray is apparently only shopping him to the west even though he has one year remaining on his contract in which he can sign in the east a year from now anyways.

If you can't afford him/don't want the player long-term, you shouldn't give two ***** where you trade him to as long as you get the best deal possible.

I'd actually say thats the best part... it suggests that they will shop him with an extension. Otherwise they likely wouldnt care where he goes.

Oct 10, 2010
I'd actually say thats the best part... it suggests that they will shop him with an extension. Otherwise they likely wouldnt care where he goes.

You could be right, but why shop him to the west with an extension and not the east?

all that should matter is who gives the best deal possible.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
You could be right, but why shop him to the west with an extension and not the east?

all that should matter is who gives the best deal possible.

Spezza is a huge impact player, if he goes to a good team out east it makes it that much harder to get out of the east. Ultimately, you build your team to win your conference. Adding 2-3 good pieces while ensuring that you wont be facing Spezza until the finals at the earliest is a nice luxury. Its exactly what Boston did with Seguin. He was shopped almost exclusively to the West. Now, you might say theyre different cases due to Seguin being young, but if Spezza signs a 4yr/25mil extension, you get him for just as long as you get Seguin.

Simply put, signing him to an extension and trading him out West gets the best return (compared to unsigned and shopped league-wide), and has by far the lowest risk.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
That's like saying Malkins departure doesn't affect Crosby, it clearly does

Two centers. If you said does this affect Turris? I'll say yes. It's like saying Neal's departure doesn't affect Crosby, which it doesn't, since they don't play together or whatever.

If Spezza is gone, it affects Turris who is already locked up so we're good. His line-mates only played with him so we're good.

The only way it affects Ryan is if he doesn't think Ottawa will win soon(3-4 years since he is still young). MacArthur already signed with Ottawa knowing he'd be just a second liner at most and he LOVES Turris so far.

The OTHER major concern we have is if it also affects Karlsson... but thank God he's locked up so we're good too and him and MacLean get along well so phew.

Meh, I just think Murray spilled the beans on purpose so that it makes it look like he's in the drivers seat in this trade because he wants a western team and hence, it'll create much more noise from a team in the East if they really want him.

Win-win(not trade but possible scenario relative to what could happen).

The Fuhr*

Ryan the last two years
116GP 34G 78Pts 184Hits

Kadri the last two years
126GP 38G 94Pts 203Hits

Just saying... Kadri would not be a bad center piece for Spezza... A lot of love on this board for Ryan and Kadri has been his equal since the lockout

John Holmes*

Where did it say that Murray is only shopping Spezza to the west?

All I read was that there were two western teams interested at the deadline.

Nothing about the west exclusively.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Where did it say that Murray is only shopping Spezza to the west?

All I read was that there were two western teams interested at the deadline.

Nothing about the west exclusively.
If it's a reported rumour then it's a fact for the people around here.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
They'll probably turn this into trying to make Spezza the bad guy like they did with Alfie.

People would have to be brain dead to believe this. He's not bad his type of game may be better elsewhere. Anybody who has a sniff knows that Spezza's game has hurt this team more than it has helped. It was only after Hemsky that Spezza's game somewhat improved. PMac and BM hated Spezza's 140ft game! The players hated Spezza's 140 ft game. Most fans(who don't think offence is everything) didn't like Spezza's overall game. With 19 gone you will see a better club this year, one that makes the playoffs.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
:laugh: So Spezza doesn't like this coach either? I remember a Spezza interview right after Clouston was fired where he got extremely pissed off about this team being labeled as "coach killers". First time I ever saw Spezza not laughing like a doofus in an interview. Another piece of the puzzle falls into place.

I kept telling people that retooling is a farce, that the old core was rotten and needed to be blown up to bits. But Murray blew up smoke and propped up a bunch of mediocre propsects and people suddenly thought we were ready to contend again.

The reality is we passed up on the opportunity to move some assets while their value was at their peak (I'm looking specifically at Neil and Phillips) and we'll now be starting things over from a weaker stand point.

Retooling = Flushing a couple of years down the toilet and realizing that you would have better off rebuiling anyway.

Well done Murray.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
how come now people are all worried about spezza being traded to the east? hes barely serviceable in the NHL.. turris and zibanejad (generationally elite 1a 1b centers) will eat him alive... and karlsson (generationally elite defenceman (some might say the best defenseman ever for 17 games in 12/13)) will also handle spezza.. why is the tune changing around here. we are literally imploding with generational talent, and that talent gets magnified without spezza.
WELL that's my cynical, sarcastic take on it. on a serious note , spezza wont be traded as a rental unless the team that acquires him is going to use him as a rental.. if the team that we trade him to is sure they can sign him they will give us pieces appropriate to the situation.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
:laugh: So Spezza doesn't like this coach either? I remember a Spezza interview right after Clouston was fired where he got extremely pissed off about this team being labeled as "coach killers". First time I ever saw Spezza not laughing like a doofus in an interview. Another piece of the puzzle falls into place.

I kept telling people that retooling is a farce, that the old core was rotten and needed to be blown up to bits. But Murray blew up smoke and propped up a bunch of mediocre propsects and people suddenly thought we were ready to contend again.

The reality is we passed up on the opportunity to move some assets while their value was at their peak (I'm looking specifically at Neil and Phillips) and we'll now be starting things over from a weaker stand point.

Retooling = Flushing a couple of years down the toilet and realizing that you would have better off rebuiling anyway.

Well done Murray.
and alfie

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
My biggest worry is that Murray makes a 2014 first rounder the center piece of a deal coming back. I want a real player, someone who can slot into the top 6 or top two D pairings. No draft picks (unless it's something like an Edmonton, or other bottom feeder, 2015 first rounder).

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
My biggest worry is that Murray makes a 2014 first rounder the center piece of a deal coming back. I want a real player, someone who can slot into the top 6 or top two D pairings. No draft picks (unless it's something like an Edmonton, or other bottom feeder, 2015 first rounder).

Quality for quantity is definitely a no-go (See the Heathley disaster). I'd personally like to see Spezza traded straight up for the top prospect of a team, regardless of what conference he plays in. It seems crazy to me to pass up on a better deal that Florida would have offered just so you can ship Spezza out west when he can turn around and sign a contract in Toronto in one year anyways.

Type of deal I would like to see: Spezza for Jonathan Drouin.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Quality for quantity is definitely a no-go (See the Heathley disaster). I'd personally like to see Spezza traded straight up for the top prospect of a team, regardless of what conference he plays in. It seems crazy to me to pass up on a better deal that Florida would have offered just so you can ship Spezza out west when he can turn around and sign a contract in Toronto in one year anyways.

That idea might work...but it's also risky. A kid coming into the league and playing with the big boys for the first time has enough on their plate. Having to replace a mainstay player like Spezza (and who will always be compared to Spezza by media and casual fans) might be a bit much to expect a rookie to handle.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
these prospect that come in better be perennial selke winners/contenders, if not, so help the poor kids.
the "hes just like spezza" arguments might actually be too much for me, forcing me to move away from ottawa

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

don't disagree.. take the best deal period. I honestly think we can get some good packages.. because Toronto and st Louis will drive the price up. but I have no issues with a one for one.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Wait until others want out too. Will take us awhile to replace Spezza.

Because cup winners are built with one dimensional soft centermen with wonky backs who 'disconnect' from coaches who want them to backcheck?

Having a Spezza is the last thing we need, winners are no longer built with players like Spezza, we're not the mid 80's anymore.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm interested to see what kind of return Spezza will bring, and disappointed that he won't be a Senator for life. Such is sports though. He'll end up at a team that can insulate him better and, hopefully, we end up with some decent pieces to move forward with and better transition to the low-scoring, defence first league that the NHL is turning into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad