OT: Off Season / Summer Thread

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I once saw a rating of major cities and how many "good" weather days they have per year, with good being defined as not cold, not too hot, not too windy, not raining or snowing, etc. The top city in the world had something like 240 of those days.winnipeg had like 16....lol. sounds absurd but i think I can think of 1 day since last September.
1654011917647.png

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah it's wearing me down. I've got a week booked for camping in mid July and I'm starting to fear it's going to be a slog in the muck the whole time.

Reactions: hockeyarena

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I once saw a rating of major cities and how many "good" weather days they have per year, with good being defined as not cold, not too hot, not too windy, not raining or snowing, etc. The top city in the world had something like 240 of those days.winnipeg had like 16....lol. sounds absurd but i think I can think of 1 day since last September.
We are down to 15 now because Friday was a beauty day. :laugh::help:

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ladies and gents, looking for some advice and not sure where to post this?

Pet insurance for a dog. Yes or no? If yes, what do you have experience with?

Thanks!

Reactions: macmaroon

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Thanks!

I got pet insurance a while back for my new Dog. I have it all in a file at my office. I will dig it up Monday and report back. My friend told me I should get it. I asked my vet what the most common one was. I was not a scientific shopper it was a bit of an impulse buy. As I recall it’s about $50 a month.

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland

Thanks!

from my experience it's better to put 50 bucks every month in a savings account and in case you need it, take it from there. swiss insurances don't cover everything and I ended up paying for most stuff anyway.

But Canadian/American insurances are different though. it all comes down to what they actually cover.

Last edited:

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I'm grateful it was just knives - there's no "collateral damage". If this was in the USA, bystanders would have been hit by stray bullets. And if the perp had a semi-auto, it's much worse...

Interesting though - China essentially banned knives in Xinjiang when a company I was connected to worked in that province - to 'keep people safe' from Uyghur 'terrorists' (the region our manager lived was mostly farmers). Each knife had a serial number engraved on it, and restaurants that were allowed to have knives had to chain them to the tables. It's crazy. They also have CCTV's at literally every street corner, with facial recognition and tracking. And more police per capita than Soviet-era East Berlin, all with quotas to arrest x # of Uyghers per week.

Safety and freedom is a balance, and we often get it wrong - both sides can end in harm. But no one needs a semi auto. If you're fighting a corrupt government as a militia, their military will just bomb the tar out of you (a la Russia in Chechnya). And no hunter or sport shooter needs anything more than a rifle (though I'm more of an archery guy). Statistics show that citizens with guns result in more innocent bystander deaths consistently across the decades (far outweighing the 2 or 3 stories we hear about 'a good guy with a gun')

Anyway, I think with problems like these, one solution is never enough - have to treat as many contributing factors as possible. Psychological, social/community elements, economical, legislative, etc. If we pretend like one thing will solve everything (like "fire Maurice"), we will fail. Some solutions are easy and have a big instant impact and should be implemented, and banning Assault rifles is certainly one (firing Maurice sooner would have helped the Jets, too - just was never the *whole* solution).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bongo420

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I'm grateful it was just knives - there's no "collateral damage". If this was in the USA, bystanders would have been hit by stray bullets. And if the perp had a semi-auto, it's much worse...

Interesting though - China essentially banned knives in Xinjiang when a company I was connected to worked in that province - to 'keep people safe' from Uyghur 'terrorists' (the region our manager lived was mostly farmers). Each knife had a serial number engraved on it, and restaurants that were allowed to have knives had to chain them to the tables. It's crazy. They also have CCTV's at literally every street corner, with facial recognition and tracking. And more police per capita than Soviet-era East Berlin, all with quotas to arrest x # of Uyghers per week.

Safety and freedom is a balance, and we often get it wrong - both sides can end in harm. But no one needs a semi auto. If you're fighting a corrupt government as a militia, their military will just bomb the tar out of you (a la Russia in Chechnya). And no hunter or sport shooter needs anything more than a rifle (though I'm more of an archery guy). Statistics show that citizens with guns result in more innocent bystander deaths consistently across the decades (far outweighing the 2 or 3 stories we hear about 'a good guy with a gun')

Anyway, I think with problems like these, one solution is never enough - have to treat as many contributing factors as possible. Psychological, social/community elements, economical, legislative, etc. If we pretend like one thing will solve everything (like "fire Maurice"), we will fail. Some solutions are easy and have a big instant impact and should be implemented, and banning Assault rifles is certainly one (firing Maurice sooner would have helped the Jets, too - just was never the *whole* solution).
I think part of the problem may be that you're not really as certain of your terminology as you think you are. An AR-15, the symbol for the anti-gun lobby is a semi-automatic rifle. But a Browning Mark III is also a semi-automatic rifle that if you saw a picture of you wouldn't bat an eye at. It looks just like a comparable bolt action rifle minus the bolt and doesn't have a scary magazine that an action hero would slap in place.

A semi-automatic weapon is simply a weapon that can automatically load the next cartridge into the chamber to be fired again by pulling the trigger again (this may be a rifle, shotgun or pistol). Does that increase the ability to fire more rapidly? Yes, to an extent it certainly does. But my suspicion, based on the description you provided, is you are thinking of an automatic weapon. An automatic weapon can fire repeatedly simply by holding down the trigger, resulting in the spray type pattern you are imagining occurring in a violent shootout or military type situation. The media and politicians alike are very poorly versed in terminology for firearms and in general get it wrong more than they get it right. Magazine capacities can certainly contribute to the issues, which is the biggest issue with an AR-15. If an AR-15 had a reduced capacity magazine it would be roughly as scary as any other semi-automatic rifle of similar capacity. Many media and politicians assume the "AR" stands for automatic rifle, which it is not, it is short for ArmaLite Rifle.

Rifles may be single shot (bolt/lever action) or may be semi-automatic as well, meaning the next round is chambered by the mechanism in place and ready to fire by pulling the trigger again. I think your statement on whether hunters need a semi-automatic weapon is subjective - there are many factors that go into making an accurate shot - wind, distance, caliber, etc. This means that not every single shot, no matter how good you think someone should be, is a kill shot. Being able to fire a second shot more rapidly may result in the faster killing on an already wounded animal that may otherwise escape or move out of range and subsequently die a lingering, painful death. As for sport shooters you are welcome to your opinion, but nobody really needs a car that goes faster than 60 kmh, so maybe we should ban anything that does, perhaps starting with the electric cars that have vastly improved and entirely unnecessary acceleration? Agree? Yes, that's hyperbole, but be careful how you impose your views lest others impose their views on yours. Let me put it another way: why does anyone need anything but a simple recurve bow? Shouldn't we ban compound bows and crossbows? I mean really, if you're just shooting targets, why does fps matter?

Canada, to this point, has reached a reasonable position on firearms ownership. The restrictions and rules in place are substantial. That said, none of them prevent exactly the type of crimes you are worried about. Take a look at Toronto and find out what weapons are being used and how many bystanders are shot in just the type of situation you're worried about (hell, look at the gun crime rate in Chicago, the city with the strongest gun control regulations in the U.S.). But the locks, transport rules, more severe rules on restricted firearms and a general lack of gun culture has Canada in a far better place than the U.S. What is baffling is the current reductions in gun penalties for offenders while placing further restrictions on law abiding gun owners.

Not trying to make this political, but let's get terminology correct.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
So random but can someone explain to me how a company like bell mts is allowed to dig up every yard in the city, even if you're not their customer, to run cable, that you might maybe use one day? Just seems insane to me, especially considering what a lying scumbag company they are.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So random but can someone explain to me how a company like bell mts is allowed to dig up every yard in the city, even if you're not their customer, to run cable, that you might maybe use one day? Just seems insane to me, especially considering what a lying scumbag company they are.
They can do this because "your yard" does not extend to the street. That first 5 metres or so (the boulevard) is city property. That is where the new fibre conduit and connection boxes are located. To trench a line from the box to my house, I had to give them permission.

Reactions: Jetland162702

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Manitoba Marathon cancelled after 90 minutes due to ridiculous heat.

Oh Winnipeg how I love the

From hellish winter, to high water at the lake, to 100 degrees today (converted for our American posters).

The ride is never boring

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Only 240? I guess it depends on what is considered a major city and whether this is global or just North America.

I spent some time in Quito, Ecuador. It is 18.5 degrees celsius (give or take depending on cloud cover, solar activity) 365 days per year. During the wet season, you get a 30-60 minute thunder storm each afternoon, otherwise sunny. It was gorgeous, I'd call that 365 days of good weather.

Sadly, Ecuador is still basically a third world country, which is why I resisted my friend's encouragement/invitations to sell everything like he did and buy a coffee plantation outside the city.

Reactions: mondo3

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Wasn't me, but if it's a free bet, that's absolutely the way to go.

For those who don't know, a "free" bet is a promotional item where you get a bet placed for you, and if you win, you DON'T get the original amount if you win. So let's say you have a $10 free bet. You can bet it on one of two things:

A. on an even-money team. If they win, your $10 free bet "pays" a total of $20, but you don't get the original stake, so you only get $10; your "2-to-1" turned into "1-FOR-1", or
B. on a 99-to-1 longshot. If they win, your $10 free bet "pays" a total of $1,000 but you don't get the original stake, so you only get $990; your "1,000-to-1" turned into "999-FOR-1"

Obviously B is a much better use of freebets, which is why most every sports book will limit the maximum odds on freebets. I won't name the start-up chain that limited my freebet promos to a maximum of 2-1 underdogs(!) except A: it's not PlayNow, they're not f***ing chiselers and B: I was literally looking for any game, any sport, anywhere where the dog was a 1.95-to-1 to 1.99-to-1 dog and betting on them with my freebet tokens. E-sports, Latvian table tennis, even a dog show.

Anyways. If the guy managed SOMEHOW to get his freebet on a triple-futures-bet parlay and win it? More power to him :)

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Just drove through this super cell just outside of Swan River at 7:30 ish
Scary shit View attachment 563433
The Ducks are infamous for supercells...

Once had a river flowing through my tent when I arrived back to my campsite...

Could see it hammering the area as I hiked back 2 to 3 miles downhill from trout fishing in one of the rivers off the East escarpment...

It's it's own little eco system...

Awesome territory... :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad