OT: Off Season / Summer Thread

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
For several years now, the only times I ever listened to CJOB was when I was in the car and either the Jets or the Bombers were playing.
In my younger days, I set my alarm to CJOB on work days. If I set it to one of the rock stations, I would be inclined to lie there and listen to the music. CJOB (specifically Red Alix and Laurie Mustard) was annoying enough to make me get out of bed. :laugh:

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
:eek3:
You're an evil man.

6mxhnk.jpg

:sarcasm:

:laugh: :skeptic:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah OB is primarily just for listening to Bomber and Jets games when I'm away from a TV. But I have a perverse fascination with how terrible a lot of the rest of the content is. The drive home show with Cloutier is utterly abysmal. Just terrible listening.

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
I'm literally going on holiday again later today for a week. Unless something big happens and it's on the espn app, I won't know. Dear hockey gods, please let us have some good signings when I'm away.

Thank you.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah OB is primarily just for listening to Bomber and Jets games when I'm away from a TV. But I have a perverse fascination with how terrible a lot of the rest of the content is. The drive home show with Cloutier is utterly abysmal. Just terrible listening.

I think I listened to CJOB once this year. I think they had on some Jets press conference that was linked here that I tuned into and for the life of me I can’t remember what it was. Maybe it was when Maurice stepped down? It was something big. Before that maybe a few years ago? I don’t listen to football or hockey on the radio and I couldn’t tell you what else CJOB broadcasts other than adds? :laugh:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I think I listened to CJOB once this year. I think they had on some Jets press conference that was linked here that I tuned into and for the life of me I can’t remember what it was. Maybe it was when Maurice stepped down? It was something big. Before that maybe a few years ago? I don’t listen to football or hockey on the radio and I couldn’t tell you what else CJOB broadcasts other than adds? :laugh:

I actually kind of enjoy listening to games on the radio. I can do other stuff while I listen instead of just being parked on the couch watching TV.

But let me help you out with the other content! :laugh: We start your day with the morning drive show which is basically the couch potato dudes plus a female add-on. It's mostly in-offensive. I can listen to it without getting stabby. Then we segue into Hal Anderson's show which again I can tolerate usually - at least in terms of the host. The content is often excruciatingly un-interesting ranging from deep dives into what the weather is going to be like for the next six months to discussions about what to do about crime which usually feature people calling in with incredibly stupid hot takes. Then we have an hour of Jets talk at lunch with Toth and another guy which often devolves into long debates between the two after Toth says something dumb. (reminiscent of his time on 1290 with Westwood :laugh:) After that, Toth takes the helm solo for a couple hours of general current events talk...and it's always awful. He's not even able to discuss sports with any sort of intelligence. Listening to him try and talk about any other local or (gag) world events is brutal. After that it's the drive home show with "investigative reporter" Richard Cloutier. It's terrible too. Cloutier is essentially Les Nesman without the charm. He adopts a variety of personas depending on what is being discussed. When he's talking to some politician or representative or something about a "serious" topic he'll slip into "hard case" mode and try and sound all tough and aggressive (laughable) with his questions. If it's banter time he drops into "lame dad" mode and tries to be funny - which he literally never is. He also often slips into this "vocal fry" mode where he's trying to sound uber-smooth and with it/bored with it which I find incredibly irritating. And oh god if he ever has to say a French word get ready for a real show of verbal hyperbole. "LAHHHGimohDI-AIRRRRRRE"

There's a couple other things in the evening (Couch Potatoes and the coach's show I think) that I pretty much never hear and then there's a slew of paid adverts that are disguised as shows and there's Weekend morning shows too which I sometimes have on for some reason.

Now I don't actually listen to any of these shows start to finish or anything and I certainly don't make any sort of point of tuning in. I just hear bits and bobs while I'm in and out of the car through the day. I do a lot of job-related driving in a company van and I just find whenever I scroll through the stations to try and find music I hate everything I hear and so I just end up leaving it on OB.

Last edited:

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I listen to the Jets on JOB regularly while I am working. The NHL website gives both options, on occasion I'll listen to the other team's commentary but I like the familiarity of the home team announcers. I get get all of the Bombers games on ESPN+ which has been a treat for the past two seasons.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I used to listen to Peter Warren when I was a parts delivery driver as teen. I always found it fascinating. I still remember some callers stories.

Like the what are you thankful for call in at Thanksgiving.

Lady from Pinawa..... Peter I'm thankful that the river is freezing up and the wolves can come into town and get rid of these Deer.

Or the bear story day. Guy calls worked a logging camp in nopoming Park. Bear broke into the cook house. Drank up all the deep frier grease and nothing else.

I was trained at a very young age to listen to CJOB and when need something, go directly to Canadian Tire.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I used to listen to Peter Warren when I was a parts delivery driver as teen. I always found it fascinating. I still remember some callers stories.

Like the what are you thankful for call in at Thanksgiving.

Lady from Pinawa..... Peter I'm thankful that the river is freezing up and the wolves can come into town and get rid of these Deer.

Or the bear story day. Guy calls worked a logging camp in nopoming Park. Bear broke into the cook house. Drank up all the deep frier grease and nothing else.

I was trained at a very young age to listen to CJOB and when need something, go directly to Canadian Tire.

When I was a kid, my parents always took me and my siblings to this lady who ran a barbershop out of her home near Redwood ave. She always had CJOB playing in the shop and I'd hear Warren and his callers while we got our hair cut.

Reactions: WaveRaven

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
When I was a kid, my parents always took me and my siblings to this lady who ran a barbershop out of her home near Redwood ave. She always had CJOB playing in the shop and I'd hear Warren and his callers while we got our hair cut.
I hope when you sat in her chair, you said to her, "Let's get right down to business". :laugh:

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Used to listen to CJOB when someone else had the dial at work.
The best one we heard was Peter talking to a caller about some street level crime issue.
Peter asked if the woman was telling the truth. Her response was "honest officer, I mean Peter."

Living on the coast I tried listening to TSN Winnipeg. It really sucked compared to the Vancouver version. Then they all were shut down and the morning guys were snapped up by Sportsnet. Their morning show (Halford & Brough) is really good because they seem to have some fantastic connections and regularly have A list sports interviews.
After that I can't digest anything on the radio, its all crap so its Radio Paradise streaming for me.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure where else to post this, so I'll post it here.

This is probably the best time in Winnipeg's history to be a sports fan. The Blue Bombers are winning Grey Cups and we have three professional hockey teams in Winnipeg.

Ice games are cheap fun. The fact that I got to see Conor Bedard, Conor Geekie, Benson & Savoie for under $20 a seat last season is amazing. I will be able to do it again, this season (hope other people are starting to realize how nice it is to have the WHL in town).

The moose are cheap entertainment. Almost all Jets draft picks came through the AHL prior to playing on the Jets (with the exception of Laine). Again, tickets are under $20.00.

We have more access to Jets content then I could have dreamed of as a kids. A bunch of podcasts, websites & apps that will give you AS MUCH JETS/NHL CONTENT AS YOU COULD POSSIBLY NEED. The winters were incredibly boring for those 15 years we didn't have a team. On top of that, we get to see McDavid, Makar, Shesterkin for $60.00 a seat. In 1999, if you wanted to see Gretzky/Federov, you'd be paying hundreds to drive/fly + hotel etc.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Not sure where else to post this, so I'll post it here.

This is probably the best time in Winnipeg's history to be a sports fan. The Blue Bombers are winning Grey Cups and we have three professional hockey teams in Winnipeg.

Ice games are cheap fun. The fact that I got to see Conor Bedard, Conor Geekie, Benson & Savoie for under $20 a seat last season is amazing. I will be able to do it again, this season (hope other people are starting to realize how nice it is to have the WHL in town).

The moose are cheap entertainment. Almost all Jets draft picks came through the AHL prior to playing on the Jets (with the exception of Laine). Again, tickets are under $20.00.

We have more access to Jets content then I could have dreamed of as a kids. A bunch of podcasts, websites & apps that will give you AS MUCH JETS/NHL CONTENT AS YOU COULD POSSIBLY NEED. The winters were incredibly boring for those 15 years we didn't have a team. On top of that, we get to see McDavid, Makar, Shesterkin for $60.00 a seat. In 1999, if you wanted to see Gretzky/Federov, you'd be paying hundreds to drive/fly + hotel etc.
Mark Chipman confirmed.

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
I'm literally going on holiday again later today for a week. Unless something big happens and it's on the espn app, I won't know. Dear hockey gods, please let us have some good signings when I'm away.

Thank you.

yawn :(

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I suspect Toth spends a substantial portion of each day choosing what gif he's going to use for the next day's show bumper on Twitter.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Going into this season folks.

Scheifele was seemingly very unhappy based on his exit comments.
If it was only one season that he displayed lackadaisical defensive play then easy to dismiss as simply
frustrated with the season.
In my opinion he hasn't been all in for a few seasons.

PLD's agent and just general chit chat about Pierre wanting to play for the Canadiens eventually doesn't inspire
general fan confidence.
The PLD presser did little to sway fans to come around to his side.

Wheeler reportedly being open to being moved and yet TNSE seemingly unwilling to take salary back is odd.

To me you are either all in in or you are out.

I think the 3 players who are willing to be moved or have expressed extreme frustration are red flags for me going into next season.

You have not heard that from any of the other valued players who seemingly want to play here.

I am hoping Bowness can overcome these 3 guys who are 1/2 checked out.
If we stumble out of the gate early it will get ugly fast.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
You had a say? Dad would just bring a bowl from home and hand it to the barber. :nod:
You all are lucky. You had the barber do the "Edward scissor-hands deed" around the bowl. I had old drunk neighbor Edward do it himself. I would try exchanging for the largest bowl as my head was very tiny, but my tips of my ears were always snipped and bleeding.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
I have 4 tickets to the Goldeyes game Saturday night that I can no longer use. Section P, on the aisle. I paid $108 for all 4, but would sell them for $75 if anyone is interested? If you have never been, it's a great time in a great venue, and it looks like it will be a nice night. PM me if you are interested! Mods: apologies if this is the wrong thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad