Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VIII: Spring approaches and less (fewer) things are happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I see Pardinho is finally ready to return. I had high hopes for him. Hope he finds his game again.

Pardihno's in a weird spot because a lot of the scouting reports say that the thing that set him apart as a prospect was his polish/advanced feel as a 16-year old. But having just lost significant time to injuries he's lost that advantage and now it's like everyone looks at him as far less interesting as an undersized guy with a couple of good pitches, a couple of potentially good pitches, and decent control in an undersized and injury-prone body.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Also in unrelated news: Jordan Groshans is now my favorite prospect

:laugh:

Though he loses some points for not catching his autocorrect's screwup on "Autobots"

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Also in unrelated news: Jordan Groshans is now my favorite prospect

:laugh:

Though he loses some points for not catching his autorcorrect's screwup on "Autobots"

tenor.gif

Reactions: Discoverer

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Do we still have Maese's rights or did I imagine him because he's been been injured for the last 47 years?

edit: Just found this. Healthy as of 6 months ago so I assume he's probably injured again by now

Last edited:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I'm totally fine with them giving Kirk a couple months in AAA.

Backup catcher isn't going to sink us and I still have some hope for McGuire.

Reactions: aingefan

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
do we still have to hate eachother? Isles fan here, I am tired of harboring grudges. I know too many leaf fans IRL lol. No ill-feelings towards your team or Johnny Hockey. I do miss him :(

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I'm totally fine with them giving Kirk a couple months in AAA.

Backup catcher isn't going to sink us and I still have some hope for McGuire.

Excluding a trade, it depends on how McGuire does in ST. Last year in 45 PA he had a -0.7 WAR. That won't cut it even for a backup catcher. If McGuire can provide decent offense, then he likely starts with the team allowing time for Kirk in AAA.

I just read this and it seems Kirk does have a shot. The best outcome I think, McGuire does well enough to make the team and Kirk is in AAA working on his defense. Later on, he gets called up.

Kirk has 'realistic' shot at Opening Day roster

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
do we still have to hate eachother? Isles fan here, I am tired of harboring grudges. I know too many leaf fans IRL lol. No ill-feelings towards your team or Johnny Hockey. I do miss him :(

Jays threads are hosted on the TML board, but they're pretty much neutral ground as far as hockey rivalries go. We have posters in here from like 10-12 different NHL allegiances and it's fine because 99% of the time nobody cares what hockey team you like when we're talking baseball. And the odd time that it does come up it's usually just good-natured ribbing (I make Sharks jokes lots of times when the Jays choke, for example)

Reactions: Morgs

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Excluding a trade, it depends on how McGuire does in ST. Last year in 45 PA he had a -0.7 WAR. That won't cut it even for a backup catcher. If McGuire can provide decent offense, then he likely starts with the team allowing time for Kirk in AAA.

I just read this and it seems Kirk does have a shot. The best outcome I think, McGuire does well enough to make the team and Kirk is in AAA working on his defense. Later on, he gets called up.

Kirk has 'realistic' shot at Opening Day roster

Also this Alejandro Kirk making opening day roster serves both him and Toronto Blue Jays best - TSN.ca

Seems like they will try to trade McGuire if he does well in Spring Training.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
We. Don’t. Need. You...
Listen, things were said, emotions were high. New Yawkers are a passionate bunch. I won't defend the more nasty comments, but I will at the very least defend the context for that night... isles fans emotions were running high. I am sure you guys can sympathize with being laughed at by other fans around the league right? Look at that Ottawa game where people were quick to jump on you despite the fact you guys are killing it this year. Isles fans were being mocked so they had a bit of a complex at the time and wanted to send a message. Did some take it too far? Sure.

Reactions: smitty10

weems

Jul 3, 2008
How does everyone see the Bullpen shaking out?

It looks to have the potential to be pretty good.

Based on K%

Romano 36.8
Yates 32.0
Dolis 31.0
Merryweather 27.3

Based on wOBA

Romano .226
Merryweather .268
Dolis .273
Yates .397

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
How does everyone see the Bullpen shaking out?

It looks to have the potential to be pretty good.

Based on K%

Romano 36.8
Yates 32.0
Dolis 31.0
Merryweather 27.3

Based on wOBA

Romano .226
Merryweather .268
Dolis .273
Yates .397

Closer: Yates
Setup: Romano
Setup: Dolis
Middle Relief: Chatwood
Middle Relief: Phelps
Lefty: Borucki
Longman: Stripling/Matz/Roark(whichever doesn't make the rotation)
8th Guy: Liriano/Merryweather/Murphy/Thornton/whoever

I'd go Matz and Merryweather for those last 2 but they seem hellbent on trying to make Merryweather a starter until he gets hurt again.

Reactions: weems

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Full Transcript of Mariners President Kevin Mather’s Remarks to Bellevue Breakfast Rotary Club - Lookout Landing

On the minor league side, Jarred Kelenic, we’ve been talking about him for a year and a half now. He’ll be in left field in April. He’s a 21-year-old player who, um, is quite confident. We offered him a long-term deal, six-year deal for substantial money with options to go farther. After pondering it for several days and talking to the union, he’s turned us down and in his words, he’s going to bet on himself. He thinks after six years, he’ll be such a star player that the 7th, 8th, 9th year options will be under value. He might be right, he might be right, we offered and he turned us down.

Q: I’m a little confused about the Kelenic kid. My recollection is that he’s a top prospect we have out there, and I’m a little confused about your statements about them earlier. It sounded like you wasn’t happy with [the] contract opportunity long term. Is he in the system, is he going to be in the system, or is, is he actually gone, or going?

KM: He’s in our minor league system...In 2019, we promoted him to AA. He is a very good player. And quite frankly we think he’s going to be a superstar. We control his major league career for six years. And after six years, he’ll be a free agent. We would like him to get a few more at-bats in the minor leagues. Probably AAA Tacoma for a month, and then he will likely be in left field at T-Mobile {ark for the next six or seven years, and then he’ll be a free agent...He won’t commit beyond his free agent years. I wouldn’t say he’s unhappy, he appreciates the offer, he just refused to sign it. He thinks he’s going to be that good. And he thinks he will be a very well-paid player after six years, and I think he might be right. Hopefully with us, but we’ll see where we end up...he’s not unhappy, I guess I would say he’s unhappy that he hasn’t played at T-Mobile Park, but he thought he should have been in left field at T-Mobile Park, three years ago. I mean, he does not lack confidence.

Q: Baseball today has a lot of players from other countries, obviously from the Caribbean and Venezuela, but now from Korea and Japan, etc. What does the club do to help these players learn English?

KM: Some clubs are better than others. 20 years ago, if we signed a 16 year old in the Dominican, we’d send them to a dumpy old academy with no hot water and a lousy rock-filled field. Then when he was 18 or 19, we’d send him to Peoria, Arizona, put him up at the Hampton Inn, and give him $30 a day. He doesn’t even know how to make change! $30 a day for per diem, and surprise surprise they’d get in trouble because they wouldn’t know how to speak the language or make change or even buy dinner.

That’s all changed. We have an academy in the Dominican now, our Venezuelan and Dominican kids are there for several years. English is taught, English classes are mandatory, high school diplomas are mandatory. And life skills, here’s a dollar bill, here’s a quarter, here’s how it works. Really critically important, as much as their skills as a pitcher or hitter or shortstop, critically important skills so they can survive and thrive in the United States, which is what we’re ultimately hoping they do! Some teams [are] better than others, I’d like to think we’re on the front edge of that, we’ve got a really nice academy.

As far as Korea, Japan, Taiwan, those players are typically older. They don’t come over as 16 or 18 year olds, they come over as 28, 30, 32 year olds. We typically...it frustrates me...For instance, we just re-hired Iwakuma, he was a pitcher with us for a number of years. Wonderful human being, his English was terrible. He wanted to get back into the game, he came to us, we quite frankly want him as our Asian scout, interpreter, what’s going on with the Japanese league. He’s coming to spring training. And I’m going to say, I’m tired of paying his interpreter. When he was a player, we’d pay Iwakuma X, but we’d also have to pay $75,000 a year to have an interpreter with him. His English suddenly got better, his English got better when we told him that! For the older players from the Far East, we have an interpreter that travels with them. For the younger Dominicans, Venezuelans, Caribbean players, we really invest in them at a young age before they get here. Good question! It’s important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad