Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VIII: Spring approaches and less (fewer) things are happening

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
I read an article that said Sportsnet will only show games when they can pick up another team’s feed.

The article made it sound like very few games will be on TV and I think it said a max of 5 will be on the radio.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I read an article that said Sportsnet will only show games when they can pick up another team’s feed.

The article made it sound like very few games will be on TV and I think it said a max of 5 will be on the radio.
Rogers would do this shit, if they could get away with it, every year. And still charge $200 for their app.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I would rather "Stand Pat" and do nothing else. Porcello and Leake arent better then what we already have. The Jays will piece together a rotation with Ryu, Pearson, Ray, Matz, Roark and Stripling. To be honest it would have been nice to bring Walker or Odorizzi in but at what they are asking and going to receive its better to save our bullets for later. Lets see what we have. We have a sure thing in Ryu and if Pearson can become 75% of what they project him to be that is a solid #2. The wildcards are going to be Ray, Matz, Roark and Stripling. All 4 of them have been successful in the past, we just need 2 of the 4 to be solid, eat innings with the 3rd being passable. With our offence, if it clicks like its expected we should be able to provide enough runs to be in every game.

I don't see how that rotation is anywhere near good enough. It's basically Ryu (who is not the most durable guy) and a smattering of wild cards.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Would be nice to get 1 more good starter.

Wonder what the hold up with Odorizzi is. Last year we were allegedly in on him but he took the qualifying offer to bet on himself. He was hurt last year and seemingly lost the bet. Rumor I recall was we were ready to offer a 3-4 year deal.

If healthy he’d slot in nicely. Still only 30.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I don't see how that rotation is anywhere near good enough. It's basically Ryu (who is not the most durable guy) and a smattering of wild cards.
I'm really confused by this off-season. We have a good lineup already and they go out and sign Springer to the biggest contract in Jays history. They sign Semien, a massive defensive upgrade with huge potential with the bat. Sign a few solid relievers(I realize this isn't in order) and *crickets*. I just dont understand the first few moves without addressing the problem with the shitty rotation. Ryu is a great pitcher, but after that? Pearson will be an ace one day but who knows when. The rest are wild cards. It's weird to invest all that money into guys like Semien and Springer and not add another starter.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Odorizzi is the main guy I’ve wanted of the three. Hope it happens. His numbers in the AL are solid.

I liked Walker and Paxton as well, and wouldn’t have been upset with any of the three, but I tend to think Odorizzi’s ceiling is highest of the three

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I'm really confused by this off-season. We have a good lineup already and they go out and sign Springer to the biggest contract in Jays history. They sign Semien, a massive defensive upgrade with huge potential with the bat. Sign a few solid relievers(I realize this isn't in order) and *crickets*. I just dont understand the first few moves without addressing the problem with the shitty rotation. Ryu is a great pitcher, but after that? Pearson will be an ace one day but who knows when. The rest are wild cards. It's weird to invest all that money into guys like Semien and Springer and not add another starter.

In 2014, the Jays were 5th in wRC+ and 22nd in ERA. They proceeded to add two impact position players and bet on the young kids (Sanchez, Stroman, Norris) and wild cards (mainly Estrada) to improve the rotation.

It's really frustrating that Rogers won't pay a bit more to fill the holes, but if you're limited in how much you have to spend I think adding Springer and Semien - an elite player and a really good player with elite potential - and gambling on the rotation is a better option than spending money on decent pitchers who are still gambles.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Maybe Odorizzi gets offered a bigger one-year deal, or something very inventive with inventives?

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
They plan on trying Gurriel at 3B/1B?? Listening to FAN590 and thats what they said... Jays plan on running a 5 man infield cause wut

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
They plan on trying Gurriel at 3B/1B?? Listening to FAN590 and thats what they said... Jays plan on running a 5 man infield cause wut

Its because of the OF logjam. This way there's a way to have all of Gurriel, Springer, Hernandez, and Grichuk in at the same time if they're all playing well. Or to shuffle things around if one of them comes in to pinch hit for a non-OF player.

Plus a utility role was the original endgame for Gurriel. So why not see if he can still do it? Add some value. It's not like they're asking him to play short and 2nd again.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Its because of the OF logjam. This way there's a way to have all of Gurriel, Springer, Hernandez, and Grichuk in at the same time if they're all playing well. Or to shuffle things around if one of them comes in to pinch hit for a non-OF player.

Plus a utility role was the original endgame for Gurriel. So why not see if he can still do it? Add some value. It's not like they're asking him to play short and 2nd again.

It sounds like he's working on 3B more as a late-game emergency option as opposed to a regular thing, too.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

Can't wait for the Jays to play, and we should be a really solid team. But also love following prospects and college baseball, so glad games are being played again!

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Blue Jays should be nipping on the heels of the Yankees this year - Sportsnet.ca

Jayson Starks says Jake Odorizzi is a perfect fit for the Jays.

Says if the Jays don't add another pitcher before the season starts, then it is strategic with the AL going back to the 5 team playoff format. Says there will be more sellers at the deadline as a result which may lead to better players available with more sellers and more importantly, less buyers than the team's going after pitching now believing they are in the race.

Springer got the most votes for best signing in his survey. Bauer for worst signing.

Semien got the most votes for best value signing.

Says he loves the addition of Yates. Doesn't like Matz and Chatwood.

Has the Jays ahead of the Rays and Red Sox and right on the heels of the Yankees.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Paxton: There was mutual interest with Jays, but no offer - Sportsnet.ca

Interview with James Paxton. The interviewers have a very good relationship as they were joking a lot. They asked Paxton to apologize for playing for the Yankees. Paxton says he was traded there so he had no say in the matter. They said you could have sat out to which he laughed.

Paxton said he communicated A LOT with the Jays and he was "very surprised" he isn't a Blue Jay as they never offered a contract.

Last week on Joey Vendetta's show, Scott Boras corrected Vendetta and said Paxton didn't have an arm injury, said he only had a back injury. In this interview Paxton said he had a back injury, came back too early then hurt his arm. So Boras was exposed, Paxton did have an arm injury with his back injury that led to surgery. Perhaps the Jays stayed away for that reason.

Says the Mariners will start the season with a 5 man rotation then in June or July they will move to 6. If they are in the playoff race, they will stick with 6 to finish the season. If they are out they will go to 5.

When mentioning how disappointed they were that Paxton didn't sign with the Jays, Paxton said "who knows what will happen in the future".

Honestly it sounded like Paxton was really disappointed he isn't a Blue Jay.

Reactions: Lumberg

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Fangraphs has started using different abbreviations to denote positions. The one that jumps out at me is "SIRP" Anyone know what that means and what other new ones are? The only thing I can think of is "Single-Inning Relief Pitcher."

It's getting kind of silly. It's like football sites that have stopped using "DE" so they can start writing "EDGE"

Fewer things are happening. Fewer.

It was a test. Congratulations, you passed.

Everyone else: I'm very disappointed in you. As are, I'm sure, your high school English teachers.

Reactions: BigBlu

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Fangraphs has started using different abbreviations to denote positions. The one that jumps out at me is "SIRP" Anyone know what that means and what other new ones are? The only thing I can think of is "Single-Inning Relief Pitcher."

It's getting kind of silly. It's like football sites that have stopped using "DE" so they can start writing "EDGE"

Everyone else: I'm very disappointed in you. As are, I'm sure, your high school English teachers.
2021 Top 100 Prospects

Reactions: xxOCZMSxx

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

It takes everything in me to not correct this stuff, but it's the internet... I would never have time for anything else! It made me happy to see someone else do it, though!

Reactions: BigBlu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad