GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
I think that's being generous to him. I thought he was brought in to play for Charlotte.

Yea, I can't see him beating out anyone at this time.
Maybe he can be a gem find, but I just see him as a 4th line guy if he sticks.

He hasn't scored over 15 goals since his AAA days.

Would be a bad fit next to Luostar and Lundell if you want any offensive spark on the 3rd. lol

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Entwistle was -29 so I'm not sure if he's any better in his own zone.

I'll be disappointed if Entwistle beats out samo, sourdif and gadjo honestly.

He is playing on a basement dweller getting bottom 6 minutes I don't think thats really any indication on how he will play for the Panthers. He brings a nice amount of leadership with him also. He captained back to back to teams to OHL championships. I don't think some of you really understand what kind of player he is. He is literally perfect fit for the Panthers style. Greta along the boards, fights, brings leadership and is 100% hustle. He is very similar to Mason Marchment but with less offense. I have no doubt he'll be on the roster.

RCGP2

Mar 8, 2018
He is playing on a basement dweller getting bottom 6 minutes I don't think thats really any indication on how he will play for the Panthers. He brings a nice amount of leadership with him also. He captained back to back to teams to OHL championships. I don't think some of you really understand what kind of player he is. He is literally perfect fit for the Panthers style. Greta along the boards, fights, brings leadership and is 100% hustle. He is very similar to Mason Marchment but with less offense. I have no doubt he'll be on the roster.
If he's getting bottom minutes on the worst team in the league, then he shouldn't be getting anything other than call-up minutes for Florida. There's a reason he got a 2 way deal.

He hasn't really been productive at any level. This team isn't lacking in leadership. He didn't captain the 2019 Guelph Storm either that was Ratcliff, as he was a deadline add. He is valuable for depth reasons, and I'd rather sign a guy like Entwhistle who at least could have some upside rather than the typical 30 year AHL vets.

If he starts the season on the roster that means that Samo/Sourdif didn't do enough in camp, which would be disappointing.

Bottom 6 hopefully is:

Luostar-Lundell-Samo
Greer-Nosek-Bolqvist
Gadjovich

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
So on D the change is from Monty/OEL to Schmidt/Boquist. Maybe a slight downgrade but not necessarily.

On O the change is from Stenner/Lombo/(Tara*) to Boquist/Greer/Nosek. Tarasenko in parentheses with an asterisk because he was a known rental. So the Tarasenko loss can’t be compared until TDL. Therefore I think the 4th line is either a wash or improved. And Samo/Sour/Entw are wild cards who might become solid.

On G the change is from Stoli to Driegs. As long as Drieger isn’t injured, IMO it has a chance of being a wash, plus Knight is a year more along the road which is good for a goalie.

I think we’re slightly improved from last year starting off because Ek isn’t slated to be out, Balinskis and Knight are a year more mature, and we have potential young 3rd liners ready to break out.

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
If he's getting bottom minutes on the worst team in the league, then he shouldn't be getting anything other than call-up minutes for Florida. There's a reason he got a 2 way deal.

He hasn't really been productive at any level. This team isn't lacking in leadership. He didn't captain the 2019 Guelph Storm either that was Ratcliff, as he was a deadline add. He is valuable for depth reasons, and I'd rather sign a guy like Entwhistle who at least could have some upside rather than the typical 30 year AHL vets.

If he starts the season on the roster that means that Samo/Sourdif didn't do enough in camp, which would be disappointing.

Bottom 6 hopefully is:

Luostar-Lundell-Samo
Greer-Nosek-Bolqvist
Gadjovich

That's just an awful argument. Our entire bottom 6 last year was playing bottom six minutes elsewhere.... Lomberg was a bottom 6 player before the Panthers. Lorentz and Stenlund were bottom six players, as was Jonah. Lustorainen was playing bottom six before being acquired. Marchment and Verhaghe were playing in the bottom six before becoming Panthers. Forsling was a waiver pickup not even able to crack an NHL roster. It makes zero sense whatsoever. Sourdiff is not an NHL player, I have no idea why you are so high on him. Samo can make the team, but not likely. He's better off playing top line minutes in the AHL than playing sheltered on the Panthers.

Also in regards to leadership, why did we add Okposo at the deadline if the team doesn't value leadership? One of the the main criteria that Zito looks for in his players is will to win, leadership, compete level, and forechecking ability. Now all of a sudden we don't need it anymore? I mean none of these arguments make any sense at all. "We have enough leadership" don't you think we have enough scoring already? Five players on the team are 20 plus goal scorers and we have a collective top 10 offense but somehow you think we need scoring from a one dimensional player? Especially one who doesn't fit the team system, isn't physical, doesn't play along the boards, doesn't backcheck. None of this adds up at all...

***Side note*****

AHL Scoring Pace Career Performance :

Entwistle:

39 pts / 80 games = 0.4875 PPG

Sourdiff:

62 pts / 108 = 0.5740 PPG

For someone who is an "offensive dynamo" not much of a difference in scoring pace. Entwistle of course adding hitting and fighting to the mix as well. Sourdiff is not a top 100 prospect on ANY of the major prospect lists. Mackie is at least in the top 50 on most lists. For the life of me I cannot fathom the love affair with this player?

Last edited:

RCGP2

Mar 8, 2018
That's just an awful argument. Our entire bottom 6 last year was playing bottom six minutes elsewhere.... Lomberg was a bottom 6 player before the Panthers. Lorentz and Stenlund were bottom six players, as was Jonah. Lustorainen was playing bottom six before being acquired. Marchment and Verhaghe were playing in the bottom six before becoming Panthers. Forsling was a waiver pickup not even able to crack an NHL roster. It makes zero sense whatsoever. Sourdiff is not an NHL player, I have no idea why you are so high on him. Samo can make the team, but not likely. He's better off playing top line minutes in the AHL then playing sheltered on the Panthers.

Also in regards to leadership, why did we add Okposo at the deadline if the team doesn't value leadership? One of the the main criteria that Zito looks for in his players is will to win, leadership, compete level, and forechecking ability. Now all of a sudden we don't need it anymore? I mean none of these arguments make any sense at all. "We have enough leadership" don't you think we have enough scoring already? Five players on the team are 20 plus goal scorers and we have a collective top 10 offense but somehow you think we need scoring from a one dimensional player? Especially one who doesn't fit the team system, isn't physical, doesn't play along the boards, doesn't backcheck. None of this adds up at all...
What specifically makes you think he can handle a bigger role? You said he was bad on Chicago because he wasn't given meaningful minutes. If he couldn't earn meaningful minutes on Chicago, why should he be gifted more meaningful minutes here? Stenlund was getting bottom 6 minutes on a good team before coming here. Lomberg was coming off a good AHL season, he couldn't crack a good flames lineup at the time (1st in the west), and came to Florida for a better opportunity (out of the playoffs). Verhaeghe had stellar Junior and AHL numbers, couldn't crack a good Tampa lineup and came to a team out of the playoffs, that's an awful comparison. Marchment I'll give you, as he was an afterthought and evolved into an NHL player seemingly out of nowhere, he is an exception not the rule. The situation is different now, Florida is the elite team with cup aspirations, not the place handing out better minutes and roles to players not getting a chance.

Sure Entwhistle could improve, I have no problem taking a lottery ticket on signing him, but why are we penciling him into the 3rd line?

Sourdif isn't an NHL player right now, he's also shown more in juniors and the AHL than entwhistle did at the same age. I don't think Sourdif will make the team over Samo either, I was listing him as a option.

If Samo isn't ready then sure he will benefit for more AHL time. If he can contribute then no sense in keeping him down.

Okposo is a vetern of 17 NHL seasons, an NHL captain and we got him for basically free. Entwhistle is a 24 year old whose played 3 season on the rebuilding Blackhawks, and it's arguable that he wouldn't have been in the NHL on a different team on that time frame. How is that leadership comparable? How is junior hockey leadership what this team requires?

If Entwhistle makes the team (or Lockwood, or Okuliar, or any of the Charlotte players), likely that means that Samo, and to a lesser extent Sourdif (who are our closest to ready prospects) didn't do enough to show they deserve a spot, which will be disappointing.

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021
That's just an awful argument. Our entire bottom 6 last year was playing bottom six minutes elsewhere.... Lomberg was a bottom 6 player before the Panthers. Lorentz and Stenlund were bottom six players, as was Jonah. Lustorainen was playing bottom six before being acquired. Marchment and Verhaghe were playing in the bottom six before becoming Panthers. Forsling was a waiver pickup not even able to crack an NHL roster. It makes zero sense whatsoever. Sourdiff is not an NHL player, I have no idea why you are so high on him. Samo can make the team, but not likely. He's better off playing top line minutes in the AHL than playing sheltered on the Panthers.

***Side note*****

AHL Scoring Pace Career Performance :

Entwistle:

39 pts / 80 games = 0.4875 PPG

Sourdiff:

62 pts / 108 = 0.5740 PPG

For someone who is an "offensive dynamo" not much of a difference in scoring pace. Entwistle of course adding hitting and fighting to the mix as well. Sourdiff is not a top 100 prospect on ANY of the major prospect lists. Mackie is at least in the top 50 on most lists. For the life of me I cannot fathom the love affair with this player?
To be fair some top 6 type talent guys struggle in the AHL before getting to the NHL because there are a bunch of 30+ year old has beens and never was running around taking kids heads off. That happens a lot less often in the NHL these days.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
What specifically makes you think he can handle a bigger role? You said he was bad on Chicago because he wasn't given meaningful minutes. If he couldn't earn meaningful minutes on Chicago, why should he be gifted more meaningful minutes here? Stenlund was getting bottom 6 minutes on a good team before coming here. Lomberg was coming off a good AHL season, he couldn't crack a good flames lineup at the time (1st in the west), and came to Florida for a better opportunity (out of the playoffs). Verhaeghe had stellar Junior and AHL numbers, couldn't crack a good Tampa lineup and came to a team out of the playoffs, that's an awful comparison. Marchment I'll give you, as he was an afterthought and evolved into an NHL player seemingly out of nowhere, he is an exception not the rule. The situation is different now, Florida is the elite team with cup aspirations, not the place handing out better minutes and roles to players not getting a chance.

Sure Entwhistle could improve, I have no problem taking a lottery ticket on signing him, but why are we penciling him into the 3rd line?

Sourdif isn't an NHL player right now, he's also shown more in juniors and the AHL than entwhistle did at the same age. I don't think Sourdif will make the team over Samo either, I was listing him as a option.

If Samo isn't ready then sure he will benefit for more AHL time. If he can contribute then no sense in keeping him down.

Okposo is a vetern of 17 NHL seasons, an NHL captain and we got him for basically free. Entwhistle is a 24 year old whose played 3 season on the rebuilding Blackhawks, and it's arguable that he wouldn't have been in the NHL on a different team on that time frame. How is that leadership comparable? How is junior hockey leadership what this team requires?

If Entwhistle makes the team (or Lockwood, or Okuliar, or any of the Charlotte players), likely that means that Samo, and to a lesser extent Sourdif (who are our closest to ready prospects) didn't do enough to show they deserve a spot, which will be disappointing.
Hmm, guess plucking Forsling off waiver wire doesn't count for someone who couldn't make an NHL roster (the Blackhawks) turning out ok.

Reactions: harv33173

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad