GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

Pink Panther

Jan 13, 2015
Hollywood
Is it hockey season yet??

1000048581.png

It's that time of year when free agency has grinded to a halt (of course not just for the Panthers, but around the league too). I feel like the NFL does a decent job of making the long off-season tolerable with at least some "news" between draft season and training camps but I am sooooo hockey starved right now 😵

Reactions: harv33173

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Former Sudbury defenseman Andre Anania was in development camp and signed an AHL contract with Charlotte. Is there NHL potential or is he more likely to play in the ECHL?

IdleTraveller

Mar 30, 2024
London, UK

Oh yes - I saw that article today in the Athletic. I'm not sure how much trust to place in the model they use is to assign values to certain players, but it's always nice to see us at number 1 with a gorgeous A+. So we're first in the league from a long term perspective and 2nd (after the Oilers) for next year. I'll take that. What's more interesting about the article is how bad the situation is for other teams, and how easy it is to go badly wrong.

For those without a subscription - here's the blurb on the panthers:

"For the second year in a row, the Florida Panthers finished first in the cap efficiency rankings and that’s not something that should be up for debate. It’s not even close. No other team is set up better for the long haul than the Panthers who are sitting on $125 million in surplus value — $75 million more than the next-best team. That’s not a no-income-tax state advantage, it’s a best-managed team in the NHL advantage.

Almost every deal on the books is cheaper than it should be, so much so that we can pretty much ignore the cap disaster happening between the pipes. It simply doesn’t matter when the Panthers have four core pieces locked up for a long time at well below market rate. Two of those (Gustav Forsling and Matthew Tkachuk) landed on the top 10 contracts list and another (Sam Reinhart) was an honorable mention. Most teams would love to have Aleksander Barkov at only $10 million for the next six years and that only registers as the fourth-best deal of the bunch.

Combined, the quartet makes just under $34 million. That should be closer to $50 million — how do you even begin to compete with that? If that’s not enough, pretty much every other skater deal on the books is a winner too. And several by a significant margin. For the rest of the league, it just doesn’t feel fair.

The Panthers won the 2024 Stanley Cup and their financial acumen was an immensely important reason. No team gets more out of their dollar than the Panthers and it now shows in their trophy case. With the gold they have on the books, it probably won’t be their last."

IdleTraveller

Mar 30, 2024
London, UK
Completely agree with these grades. I just hope Carter doesn't see this!

I know - I knew we were under-paying him but didn't realise that it could be that much of a gap... I'm hoping that Verhaege's terrible at life/maths/common sense, is a multimilionaire without a financial advisor, and does not have access to the internet. And therefore believes it when he is told that he'd make up that $5m with no taxes.

Last edited:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Oh yes - I saw that article today in the Athletic. I'm not sure how much trust to place in the model they use is to assign values to certain players, but it's always nice to see us at number 1 with a gorgeous A+. So we're first in the league from a long term perspective and 2nd (after the Oilers) for next year. I'll take that. What's more interesting about the article is how bad the situation is for other teams, and how easy it is to go badly wrong.

For those without a subscription - here's the blurb on the panthers:

"For the second year in a row, the Florida Panthers finished first in the cap efficiency rankings and that’s not something that should be up for debate. It’s not even close. No other team is set up better for the long haul than the Panthers who are sitting on $125 million in surplus value — $75 million more than the next-best team. That’s not a no-income-tax state advantage, it’s a best-managed team in the NHL advantage.

Almost every deal on the books is cheaper than it should be, so much so that we can pretty much ignore the cap disaster happening between the pipes. It simply doesn’t matter when the Panthers have four core pieces locked up for a long time at well below market rate. Two of those (Gustav Forsling and Matthew Tkachuk) landed on the top 10 contracts list and another (Sam Reinhart) was an honorable mention. Most teams would love to have Aleksander Barkov at only $10 million for the next six years and that only registers as the fourth-best deal of the bunch.

Combined, the quartet makes just under $34 million. That should be closer to $50 million — how do you even begin to compete with that? If that’s not enough, pretty much every other skater deal on the books is a winner too. And several by a significant margin. For the rest of the league, it just doesn’t feel fair.

The Panthers won the 2024 Stanley Cup and their financial acumen was an immensely important reason. No team gets more out of their dollar than the Panthers and it now shows in their trophy case. With the gold they have on the books, it probably won’t be their last."
So, it's now 8:30, it's been 5 hours since your comment. I need to go to the doctor, right?

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I know most here will say no... But could Laine work here? Played his best under Maurice, not sure of his relationship with Barky now, don't hear much about it, but they were (are?) friends and we got lots of Finns. Could be a potential turnaround and he's obviously got the talent.

No idea how that salary would work though.

Reactions: behemolari

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I know most here will say no... But could Laine work here? Played his best under Maurice, not sure of his relationship with Barky now, don't hear much about it, but they were (are?) friends and we got lots of Finns. Could be a potential turnaround and he's obviously got the talent.

No idea how that salary would work though.

He’s too expensive for this to happen. Salary too high, work ethic too low. That’s Laine in a nutshell

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Just checking the Oilers board for Drai contract speculation… consensus is close to $14M x 8yrs. And then McD with a couple M more and same term. So indeed they’ll have $30M tied in 2 players and then add Bouchbomb for another $10M. Those 3 will wear out before their contracts are half way thru. And then they hired Stan Bowman. Some teams just keep self inflicting.

My take so far: we won’t need to worry about the Oilers again while our core is at their peak.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Just checking the Oilers board for Drai contract speculation… consensus is close to $14M x 8yrs. And then McD with a couple M more and same term. So indeed they’ll have $30M tied in 2 players and then add Bouchbomb for another $10M. Those 3 will wear out before their contracts are half way thru. And then they hired Stan Bowman. Some teams just keep self inflicting.

My take so far: we won’t need to worry about the Oilers again while our core is at their peak.

These contracts won't take effect next year, so they will be a big threat next year. If anything they improved in the offseason with their acquisitions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad