GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
These contracts won't take effect next year, so they will be a big threat next year. If anything they improved in the offseason with their acquisitions.
As long as the Bowman distractions don’t throw them off.

ETA: besides, I don’t think Drai is quite as special as the regular season numbers indicate.

Reactions: harv33173

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
As long as the Bowman distractions don’t throw them off.

ETA: besides, I don’t think Drai is quite as special as the regular season numbers indicate.

?

He has one of the best PPG playoff numbers in history! He had a pretty serious injury in the final 2(1) rounds which hampered him this off season. It was pretty obvious he was off due to injury.

Leon Draisaitl has 41 goals, 67 assists and a plus-minus of +10 in 74 games in the playoffs in his career. I personally can't stand him and think he should have had a ban for the blatant high hit on Barkov. But he is a great player and has incredible playoff numbers.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
?

He has one of the best PPG playoff numbers in history! He had a pretty serious injury in the final 2(1) rounds which hampered him this off season. It was pretty obvious he was off due to injury.

Leon Draisaitl has 41 goals, 67 assists and a plus-minus of +10 in 74 games in the playoffs in his career. I personally can't stand him and think he should have had a ban for the blatant high hit on Barkov. But he is a great player and has incredible playoff numbers.
He’s not $14M good by a long shot, I stand by my evaluation

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I know most here will say no... But could Laine work here? Played his best under Maurice, not sure of his relationship with Barky now, don't hear much about it, but they were (are?) friends and we got lots of Finns. Could be a potential turnaround and he's obviously got the talent.

No idea how that salary would work though.

Second half of article discusses him and Barkov. (Needs translating).

Basically they get along well.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
If Laine were to come here, it will be in 2 years, when he is a UFA. Even if they want picks/prospects, we cant fit him under the cap, unless they want to eat major salary. Even then I dont see it happening.

They would have to eat salary but still I can't see it happening right now unless it's something like Laine @ 4.5M for Knight. Both have been in the PA program and have questionmarks although Knight's issues are less daunting to me. But then again Laine is much more established. If Barkov is in Zito's ear and endorsing Laine then who knows.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
They would have to eat salary but still I can't see it happening right now unless it's something like Laine @ 4.5M for Knight. Both have been in the PA program and have questionmarks although Knight's issues are less daunting to me. But then again Laine is much more established. If Barkov is in Zito's ear and endorsing Laine then who knows.

Yeah that's how I think a trade could get done. Taking my homer glasses off, I'd say Knight for Laine at 50% retained is fair. Both have question marks but big potential. It would also boost our chances for a repeat this coming season, could help CBJ with their goalie situation.

Knight has a significant salary while potentially being a backup and has been inconsistent with questions marks on his development. He doesn't really factor into our chances this coming season, but we'd have to figure out the backup situation, not sure if Judge Dredd is up to that challenge.

Looking into the future technically Knight is a cost controlled RFA but it'll be a big QO so that's not really helpful. He could also turn into a franchise goalie if he puts it together and I personally still believe in him, but I would get why he's trade bait. I'm also torn about the goalie position in general as sometimes I can see the difference an elite goalie can have (i.e. Bob last two playoffs) and the struggles for teams that don't have a reliable starter, but still question paying more than 10% of the cap for the goalie position. If Bob can do well the next two years, it may make sense to trade Knight to free his cap, then solve for the goalie position later. Competitive window is widest these next two years given our contract situations.

Laine has proven he can score at the NHL level and despite his flaws is the more proven NHL player technically moving into his prime. Obviously he's got his own inconsistencies and issues, but if he can put it back together then you have a PPG 40 goal scorer at a reasonable salary with 50% retained. He'll also be in a good situation with Maurice, Barkov, Zito, the other Finns, and playing for his next contract.

If Laine could return to form we'd have an insane top-9 and theoretically Knight doesn't really factor much into next season, assuming we can solve the backup situation. It's risky but I think it would increase our Cup chance for next two years.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Yeah that's how I think a trade could get done. Taking my homer glasses off, I'd say Knight for Laine at 50% retained is fair. Both have question marks but big potential. It would also boost our chances for a repeat this coming season, could help CBJ with their goalie situation.

Knight has a significant salary while potentially being a backup and has been inconsistent with questions marks on his development. He doesn't really factor into our chances this coming season, but we'd have to figure out the backup situation, not sure if Judge Dredd is up to that challenge.

Looking into the future technically Knight is a cost controlled RFA but it'll be a big QO so that's not really helpful. He could also turn into a franchise goalie if he puts it together and I personally still believe in him, but I would get why he's trade bait. I'm also torn about the goalie position in general as sometimes I can see the difference an elite goalie can have (i.e. Bob last two playoffs) and the struggles for teams that don't have a reliable starter, but still question paying more than 10% of the cap for the goalie position. If Bob can do well the next two years, it may make sense to trade Knight to free his cap, then solve for the goalie position later. Competitive window is widest these next two years given our contract situations.

Laine has proven he can score at the NHL level and despite his flaws is the more proven NHL player technically moving into his prime. Obviously he's got his own inconsistencies and issues, but if he can put it back together then you have a PPG 40 goal scorer at a reasonable salary with 50% retained. He'll also be in a good situation with Maurice, Barkov, Zito, the other Finns, and playing for his next contract.

If Laine could return to form we'd have an insane top-9 and theoretically Knight doesn't really factor much into next season, assuming we can solve the backup situation. It's risky but I think it would increase our Cup chance for next two years.

Great post! My main concerns with Laine is his injuries, he's been a PPG player pretty much for a while now and doing that while trying to play center for Columbus, which reminds me of the desperation of the old Panthers. He can't be your #1 or #2 but he absolutely has game breaking ability.

I don't think Knight has had any sort of significant inconsistencies, at least nothing outside of being a young player with normal growing pains. Obviously the OCD derailed him for half a year but he seems to be on track with a healthy year behind him and has shown tremendous potential.

Seems like a pretty fair swap, although I don't think CBJ would be willing to eat nearly 50% of Laine's salary without adding a pick or two.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Great post! My main concerns with Laine is his injuries, he's been a PPG player pretty much for a while now and doing that while trying to play center for Columbus, which reminds me of the desperation of the old Panthers. He can't be your #1 or #2 but he absolutely has game breaking ability.

I don't think Knight has had any sort of significant inconsistencies, at least nothing outside of being a young player with normal growing pains. Obviously the OCD derailed him for half a year but he seems to be on track with a healthy year behind him and has shown tremendous potential.

Seems like a pretty fair swap, although I don't think CBJ would be willing to eat nearly 50% of Laine's salary without adding a pick or two.

Yeah a third line with Luo-Lundell-Laine could do really well. Plus we'd finally add a shooting threat to the power play that's been missing for a long time (no disrespect to Reino from the slot).

You're right on Knight, I meant more the typical inconsistencies with a young goalie that still means he shouldn't take up $4.5M in cap. I think he can work out well and would hate to trade him but you have to give to get, and we're in our competitive peak right now with Benny and Verhaeghe contracts coming up.

We may have to add a pick on that retention, not sure. CBJ haven't used any retention slots and have the cap room. Maybe need to add 2026 2nd or something like that.

Laine 50% retained also opens a little more cap room ($150K) which could help with the roster moves and TDL.

Reactions: behemolari

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
1722275361003.png

Laine was the only one that could get Barky to come out and play before the cup and baby mommas lmao

Maybe Barky is the only one that can get Laine to come in and be a serious player

Reactions: behemolari

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
He’s not $14M good by a long shot, I stand by my evaluation

Your comment suggested he is not quite as special as the regular numbers indicate. I debunked that and now you've changed the goalposts. Will he be worth a $14m contract per year? That is quite the bump and depends on the salary cap at the time of the extension. His current contract he is definitely underpaid for what he brings. $14m is a big chunk of change though. Maybe ScottyMascotty can post that information in regards to contract values for the Oilers.

Reactions: RogerRoger

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Your comment suggested he is not quite as special as the regular numbers indicate. I debunked that and now you've changed the goalposts. Will he be worth a $14m contract per year? That is quite the bump and depends on the salary cap at the time of the extension. His current contract he is definitely underpaid for what he brings. $14m is a big chunk of change though. Maybe ScottyMascotty can post that information in regards to contract values for the Oilers.
I meant the “as special” to be in reference to my earlier comment about $14M x 8yrs speculation. I thought it was clear that I was continuing on my previous comment…. I don’t know what else you thought I could have meant.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I meant the “as special” to be in reference to my earlier comment about $14M x 8yrs speculation. I thought it was clear that I was continuing on my previous comment…. I don’t know what else you thought I could have meant.

So you don't think he is special enough to demand $14m x 8 per year. That is fair enough. We shall see how much he signs for and what impact it has on the Oilers going forward.

Reactions: KW

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
So you don't think he is special enough to demand $14m x 8 per year. That is fair enough. We shall see how much he signs for and what impact it has on the Oilers going forward.
imo he's special enough to warrant 14M, but paying guys what they are worth is not how you can build a great team to win the Cup.

Build the Statue
Tkachuk trade
high draft picks for Chiarot

copy and paste for everyone
I had to sneak in Forsling.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
I know it's not desperate, but surprised at the Carter V re-signing talk prior to Free agency starting then nothing.

Wonder if it's something both sides are just waiting till training camp before dotting the i's?

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Laine would be our best pure shooter since Hoffman (tbh, even better) and he's basically been a PPG in Columbus while dealing with injuries + mental health.

Does his style of play not fit with the Panther identity? Yeah I'd agree. But Duclair didn't really either and he made it work.

Laine has a better track record than Duclair as a goalscorer and point producer.

Last edited:
Reactions: pantherbot

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
What if the ask is Carter for Laine (retained)….?

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Laine would be our best pure shooter since Hoffman (tbh, even better) and he's basically been a PPG in Columbus while dealing with injuries + mental health.

Does his style of play not fit with the Panthwra identity? Yeah I'd agree. But Duclair didn't really either and he made it work.

Laine has a better track record than Duclair as a goalscorer and point producer.

Exactly, and its an element that's missing from our roster. We don't really have a pure shooter type player and our roster would do well with one more top-6 player, that was one of the reasons for acquiring Tank at the TDL last year.

We've also struggled to score and finish at times, its the only real weakness we have right now. Aside from the period last season when the PP triangle to Reino play was super effective, we've struggled on the PP and we ranked 26th in 5v5 GF despite ranking 10th in shots mainly because we ranked 27th in shooting percentage.

Haven't watched him play a lot in CBJ, but by all accounts he's actually been more defensively aware while playing on a dumpster team. I think early on there were rumblings out of Winnipeg about his commitment to the team, but that team was also a mess and recall people crapped on Maurice about it, but we can see now that he wasn't the problem so who knows what was actually happening.

If we brought in Laine, we'd have some of the best insight into him as a player and person from Barkov and Maurice. Not saying this happens for sure or that we even need this to happen, but I think it'd be a good move and something we should explore depending on the ask from CBJ and competing offers.

Knight + picks for Laine 50% retained I think would be fair and addresses a need for both teams with potential for upside/downside. But not sure if CBJ wants to go that route.

What if the ask is Carter for Laine (retained)….?

Then I say thanks, but no thanks. The extra year with Laine isn't worth the chemistry disruption and potential downside if Laine doesn't get back to form.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I would take a flyer on Laine... but it would need to be very cheap. Maybe when his current deal expires, when his value is very low, you offer him a prove-it deal.

I would not, under any circumstances, trade Carter Verhaeghe or damage my chances at re-signing Carter Verhaeghe to gamble on Laine.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

Does his style of play not fit with the Panther identity? Yeah I'd agree. But Duclair didn't really either and he made it work.

1722357540042.png

He also did pretty well under PoMo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad