Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think Barlas will be a tough to trade player unless Ottawa retains his education package. I cannot see Ottawa retaining his education package. He also adds a little bit of stability to the forward group because he can play a depth centre role.

I agree that with all things being equal, Ottawa should want to move Barlas if they can. I think with the double cohort from the Covid cancelled season in full effect, there is a surplus of OA’s and marginal players. I think it will be tough for the teams with marginal players that don’t play a premium position to get moved.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I think Barlas will be a tough to trade player unless Ottawa retains his education package. I cannot see Ottawa retaining his education package. He also adds a little bit of stability to the forward group because he can play a depth centre role.

I agree that with all things being equal, Ottawa should want to move Barlas if they can. I think with the double cohort from the Covid cancelled season in full effect, there is a surplus of OA’s and marginal players. I think it will be tough for the teams with marginal players that don’t play a premium position to get moved.
Yes I agree with your analysis he will be hard to move but might be the best for everyone involved. I don't fully understand how the education package works. I know he likely has a gold package as a first rounder but Ottawa would only be on the hook for one more year anyway if they traded him and retained it??

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yes I agree with your analysis he will be hard to move but might be the best for everyone involved. I don't fully understand how the education package works. I know he likely has a gold package as a first rounder but Ottawa would only be on the hook for one more year anyway if they traded him and retained it??

Basically when you trade the player, his package follows him unless the team retains it. Since teams only get 6 or 7 full packages, it becomes valuable enough strategically that trading Barlas and retaining the package isn’t just a financial issue. It may prevent the team from adding a ‘08 1st at the deadline depending on what the current status is of their packages.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
There is no market for Sirman. Gerrior is far too important for this team to move. Mack may see a market develop but at this point, I am not certain one will. We’d need to see a massive injury or two. The Petes also have Sztuska out there as a potential OA goalie on the market.

I think it is far more likely that Sirman ends up waived. If Stonehouse comes back, he will be valuable enough to trade to a contending team. We end up with Mayich, Gerrior, and MacK.

The only variable to that is I think Mayich is tradable. Boyd could decide to keep Sirman and accept the trade assets from the Mayich deal instead.

I have zero issues keeping MacK this year. Conway and Nelson are both only 17 years old. It would be good for both of them to ease into their rookie season. Conway would likely play a lot in the CCHL. Give him a few spot starts in the OHL in the 2nd half. He’d also be available as an injury replacement. If a market opens for MacK at the deadline then we can reassess
I agree that keeping MacK would b e a good thing but I have a worry that Conway may not be avail to us if he has a year line Nelson did.

Also if Nelson turns out to be a bonafide starter doyou sit him on thebensh and play MacK or do you sit MacK,

Time will tell
One Gerrior is not getting traded imo. Two he's a very good player, kind of insulting to say he's worth a bag of pucks and a case of beer!
I agree that Gerrior is a good player, but he is OA, and he is good but not that good. To me, I would put him in the late round draft ick for trade purposes (hence the back of pucks and a 24), which is where I see Sirman also.

MacK as a trade is interesting due to his injuries as well as being OA. I agree there is not much avail for him unless he shows a great deal and is willing to be a BU goalie on a contending team. I would look at doing something with him now either trade or wave so that he can find a new team to play on.
My lines to start the year fwiw right/center/left

Gerrior/Ekberg/Pinelli
Horner/Dever/Yanni
Kelly/Whitehead/Foster
Korbler/Amidovsky/Hiltoo
Extra: Houben
CCHL perrier
Traded/Waived: Barlas
To explain a bit the first line is our clearcut top line. The other three are interchangeable and I tried to give our three promising players ( Whitey, Yanni, Amidovsky) linemates to succeed.Foster is a solid winger for Whitehead and Kelly who has some size/snarl gets his chance. Their size helps Whitehead imo. As OMG said I like the Horner/Dever combo and Yanni adds playmaking talent and again plays with two more physically mature players. And yes I'm slotting Amid at center right away as imo we need to develop him there. He has a talented versatile winger in Korbler and HiltonHouben can cycle on left wing at least initially.

Good lines but I have an issue with Korbler I think he should be higher and on a betterline than Kelly. Korbler showed what he has and will be an asset this year. Kelly I think is again going ot struggle to find a place ont he team.

I don't think you can waive Barlas, and as OMG has stated, his gold package may have teams not wanting him. We are stuick with him this year due to Boyds lack of action last year,

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
My lines to start the year fwiw right/center/left

Gerrior/Ekberg/Pinelli
Horner/Dever/Yanni
Kelly/Whitehead/Foster
Korbler/Amidovsky/Hiltoo
Extra: Houben
CCHL perrier
Traded/Waived: Barlas
To explain a bit the first line is our clearcut top line. The other three are interchangeable and I tried to give our three promising players ( Whitey, Yanni, Amidovsky) linemates to succeed.Foster is a solid winger for Whitehead and Kelly who has some size/snarl gets his chance. Their size helps Whitehead imo. As OMG said I like the Horner/Dever combo and Yanni adds playmaking talent and again plays with two more physically mature players. And yes I'm slotting Amid at center right away as imo we need to develop him there. He has a talented versatile winger in Korbler and HiltonHouben can cycle on left wing at least initially.

My line combo predicated

Pinelli- Dever- Gerrior
Foster-Ekberg-Korbler
Hilton-Barlas-Horner
Amidovski-Whitehead-Yani

Houben-Extra
Perrier- CCHL
Kelly-Trade

Marelli-Mews
Dietsch-Mayich
Brady-Eshkawkogan

MacK
Nelson

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
My line combo predicated

Pinelli- Dever- Gerrior
Foster-Ekberg-Korbler
Hilton-Barlas-Horner
Amidovski-Whitehead-Yani

Houben-Extra
Perrier- CCHL
Kelly-Trade

Marelli-Mews
Dietsch-Mayich
Brady-Eshkawkogan

MacK
Nelson
I think once Ekberg gets his feet wet we should see him move to first line

To me barlas is the fly in the ointment as far as development goes. I would like to see him traded, just not sure if there is a market for him.

Let's face it we do not need a 4th line OA center next year. He definitely could be holding up the development of Whitehead and Amidovski

Reactions: frontsfan67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think once Ekberg gets his feet wet we should see him move to first line

To me barlas is the fly in the ointment as far as development goes. I would like to see him traded, just not sure if there is a market for him.

Let's face it we do not need a 4th line OA center next year. He definitely could be holding up the development of Whitehead and Amidovski

I think we all agree about Barlas. I really think his education package as a first round pick is hindering any potential move. I could be wrong but I am not sure any team is going to want to be on the hook for that scholarship committment. He has been often injured, isn’t really a centre, and is an average type winger. HE has a lot of good qualities to his game but not being able to stay in the lineup hurts. If he were a 2nd round pick without a full ride school package, I think he would be so much easier to move.

The question then becomes whether Ottawa would consider cutting bait with him or not and I highly doubt they would waive him.

So, what do you do with him? Right now, you use him as a depth centre or a middle six winger. The problem is the left side is stacked with bodies trying to get ice. I think that forces him into that depth centre role.

I agree they need to give Whitehead some ice. Test him out. But, I think all four lines will roll 5 on 5 continuously. The added ice will come on special teams and that is where Barlas has some value. He is a strong penalty killer. If they keep him as the 4th line centre, it may not be a bad thing (assuming he is not movable). He can kill penalties and provide a steady hand with a couple rookie wingers 5 on 5.

To be completely honest, the guy I could see moved early is Foster. Just a gut feeling on my part. IF they were to move Foster, that opens a spot for Amidovski on the left side. It also opens a spot for Hilton and/or Houben on the 4th line. I think Foster’s value will be somewhat similar to Gardiner. Probably a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th or somewhere in that range.

Reactions: beastintheeast

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think we all agree about Barlas. I really think his education package as a first round pick is hindering any potential move. I could be wrong but I am not sure any team is going to want to be on the hook for that scholarship committment. He has been often injured, isn’t really a centre, and is an average type winger. HE has a lot of good qualities to his game but not being able to stay in the lineup hurts. If he were a 2nd round pick without a full ride school package, I think he would be so much easier to move.

The question then becomes whether Ottawa would consider cutting bait with him or not and I highly doubt they would waive him.

So, what do you do with him? Right now, you use him as a depth centre or a middle six winger. The problem is the left side is stacked with bodies trying to get ice. I think that forces him into that depth centre role.

I agree they need to give Whitehead some ice. Test him out. But, I think all four lines will roll 5 on 5 continuously. The added ice will come on special teams and that is where Barlas has some value. He is a strong penalty killer. If they keep him as the 4th line centre, it may not be a bad thing (assuming he is not movable). He can kill penalties and provide a steady hand with a couple rookie wingers 5 on 5.

To be completely honest, the guy I could see moved early is Foster. Just a gut feeling on my part. IF they were to move Foster, that opens a spot for Amidovski on the left side. It also opens a spot for Hilton and/or Houben on the 4th line. I think Foster’s value will be somewhat similar to Gardiner. Probably a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th or somewhere in that range.
I see Barlas as a high-priced Tudin. They need to do something and Foster may be the ideal piece now with Pineli at the break if we are looking to get picks for trades.

The other side is to let some of these players that are marginal at best go to another team and show what they can do, cost be damned.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

I'd be surprised they moved Foster for two reasons. I do believe they want(Boyd/Cameron)to be competitive this year and after losing Gardiner we need Foster. Two he may be a very good OA next year if not signed. However you never know.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I'd be surprised they moved Foster for two reasons. I do believe they want(Boyd/Cameron)to be competitive this year and after losing Gardiner we need Foster. Two he may be a very good OA next year if not signed. However you never know.
I think the challenge is who do we have as OA next year.

Right now we have

Barlas will still be with the team due to his ED Pack.
horner don't think he would bring a return BUT can fill a defence position when needed
Dever don't think he would bring a return
Pinelli Definitley see him traded at deadline
Foster Should be traded to make room for next year.

That leaves us with 3 returning players at most which is what we need.

This team can still be competitive but I think that we have to look at who are we going to be cmpetitive with. The Top 5 are way ahead of us.

We need to be competitive for the 6-8 playoff window. You also need a team that is going to skate hard and be as entertaining as possible, realizing that we need this year to develop players for the future.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think the challenge is who do we have as OA next year.

Right now we have

Barlas will still be with the team due to his ED Pack.
horner don't think he would bring a return BUT can fill a defence position when needed
Dever don't think he would bring a return
Pinelli Definitley see him traded at deadline
Foster Should be traded to make room for next year.

That leaves us with 3 returning players at most which is what we need.

This team can still be competitive but I think that we have to look at who are we going to be cmpetitive with. The Top 5 are way ahead of us.

We need to be competitive for the 6-8 playoff window. You also need a team that is going to skate hard and be as entertaining as possible, realizing that we need this year to develop players for the future.

Worry about OA’s next year. Consider a player like Foster’s trade value to include an OA year but that only means we’d get a bit more for him, whether that is in guaranteed assets as part of the trade or conditionals makes no real difference.

We don’t know if next year would be a competitive window either. OA’s may not be a seriousl consideration. I think we play it out as if we are trying to build future assets. If a deal for Foster makes sense, then do it. If it doesn’t, then don’t. Same goes for Pinelli even if he is 100% graduating this season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I think Foster will be a prime 2nd tier target for the Competitive teams that don’t have the assets to get a player like Pinelli, or Romani. Foster is a solid winger that can pop 30 goals and he won’t kill you in trade value. He’s likely worth enough for Ottawa to at least consider it.

The reality is the seasons will unfold differently than normal. The top 3 teams (Barrie, Oshawa, and Brampton) all will have made serious moves early. That will translate into more success early. I don’t think there will be easy points to be gained early like in most seasons. We’ve seen the 67’s take advantage of the top teams early in the season because they aren’t quite ready yet. I don’t think that will be the case this year.

I think Ottawa will do well against the bottom half of the league. They are responsible defensively, get strong goaltending and play well structurally. That plays well in the first half. But, like I say, those easy points won’t be there as much. I think we will start to see a separation earlier than normal.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Worry about OA’s next year. Consider a player like Foster’s trade value to include an OA year but that only means we’d get a bit more for him, whether that is in guaranteed assets as part of the trade or conditionals makes no real difference.

We don’t know if next year would be a competitive window either. OA’s may not be a seriousl consideration. I think we play it out as if we are trying to build future assets. If a deal for Foster makes sense, then do it. If it doesn’t, then don’t. Same goes for Pinelli even if he is 100% graduating this season.
Waiting until next year is what got us in this mess of toomany OA and no space for new blood. If we can get a good offer for any of the OA next year we should take it. I would rather cme to camp with an open spot then to go through this 5 OA dance again.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Waiting until next year is what got us in this mess of toomany OA and no space for new blood. If we can get a good offer for any of the OA next year we should take it. I would rather cme to camp with an open spot then to go through this 5 OA dance again.

That is what I basically said. Keeping a player so he can be a potential OA next year during a “retool” year is not a good reason to keep the player IF IF IF the trade value is strong.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
My line combo predicated

Pinelli- Dever- Gerrior
Foster-Ekberg-Korbler
Hilton-Barlas-Horner
Amidovski-Whitehead-Yani

Houben-Extra
Perrier- CCHL
Kelly-Trade

Marelli-Mews
Dietsch-Mayich
Brady-Eshkawkogan

MacK
Nelson
looking at the stats so far and realizing it is early I have difficulty with the centers.

Considering that Whitehead has more face-offs won and a high percentage I would like to see

Pinelli- Ekberg- Gerrior
Foster-Dever-Korbler
Hilton-Whitehead-Horner
Amidovski-Barlas-Yanni

I know the argument that Barlas is older but I really do not think he has as big an upside as Whitehead.

I also think that Ecberg is going to be the top forward and should be more capable of playing first line than Dever, who has not been in that position before.
I would rather see Whitehead get the chance to show what he can do and get some serious minutes.

I am also not sure of Gerrior, Korbler and Horner

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Pinelli- Ekberg- Gerrior
Foster-Dever-Korbler
Hilton-Whitehead-Horner
Amidovski-Barlas-Yanni
Amidovski and Yanni on the 4th line?

Poor kids won’t develop

Hopefully they can trade someone on the left and right side for them to move up into a top 9 spot

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
looking at the stats so far and realizing it is early I have difficulty with the centers.

Considering that Whitehead has more face-offs won and a high percentage I would like to see

Pinelli- Ekberg- Gerrior
Foster-Dever-Korbler
Hilton-Whitehead-Horner
Amidovski-Barlas-Yanni

I know the argument that Barlas is older but I really do not think he has as big an upside as Whitehead.

I also think that Ecberg is going to be the top forward and should be more capable of playing first line than Dever, who has not been in that position before.
I would rather see Whitehead get the chance to show what he can do and get some serious minutes.

I am also not sure of Gerrior, Korbler and Horner

In all fairness, those last two lines are basically 4th lines. Pretty equal to be honest.

Like I said before. It is likely that Cameron will roll 4 lines most of the game anyway when it is 5 on 5. I don’t think it matters much. The top players will get the PP and PK minutes and that will be the separator.

Reactions: NoQuit67s

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
In all fairness, those last two lines are basically 4th lines. Pretty equal to be honest.

Like I said before. It is likely that Cameron will roll 4 lines most of the game anyway when it is 5 on 5. I don’t think it matters much. The top players will get the PP and PK minutes and that will be the separator.
Cameron may not like to bench players and you can call that rolling four lines but in tight games at least he still does come back with his top lines after all sorts of breaks. I'd expect there to be clear separation in even strength ice time as well.

I don't mind Cameron rolling four lines btw. Brantford clearly ran out of gas by not doing so last playoffs. Cameron's problem was that he changed his 4th line for worse over the course of playoffs...to a point where it was a real liability and no longer competitive.

Rolling four lines is smart during regular season as well. Gotta preserve your best players for when it matters the most and you need guys able to step up as well. You don't wanna be forced to give kids who barely played for you a large role.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

But we know that DC likes to have his 4th line watch from the bench for 58 minutes of a game.
I think if he can put Whitehead on teh 3rd line it may not be that big a deal But at least it is on paper a promotion and recognition. I would like to see Whitehead get enough confidence and ability to become the second-line center in place of Dever. But that is only going to happen if he gets minutes. I also think that Hilton is going to develop, and with Horner, that could be a very potent checking line.

I agree with Fronts fans that Yanni is going to get screwed and can see him possibly asking for a trade . Boyd screwed the pooch with his lack of planning now we have players that have shown their ability having to sit on the 3rd or 4th line instead of getting meaningful minutes.

The sooner we trade Foster Pinelli and dever the better we will e developmentally. No we are not going to be a top team but we will have a chance for players like Yanni Amidovski Houben and whitehead to show what they have.

If they can not do it then they should be traded but the bottom line is that we need to clear some space for these guys to get ice time.

If we had a coach who knew how to develop players, it would not be so bad, but DC will play his top 2 lines 45-50 minutes a game even if they are hurt. Leaving no real ice time for the others to develop.

Amidovski and Yanni on the 4th line?

Poor kids won’t develop

Hopefully they can trade someone on the left and right side for them to move up into a top 9 spot

Agreed that is Boyd's fault.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
But we know that DC likes to have his 4th line watch from the bench for 58 minutes of a game.
I think if he can put Whitehead on teh 3rd line it may not be that big a deal But at least it is on paper a promotion and recognition. I would like to see Whitehead get enough confidence and ability to become the second-line center in place of Dever. But that is only going to happen if he gets minutes. I also think that Hilton is going to develop, and with Horner, that could be a very potent checking line.

I agree with Fronts fans that Yanni is going to get screwed and can see him possibly asking for a trade . Boyd screwed the pooch with his lack of planning now we have players that have shown their ability having to sit on the 3rd or 4th line instead of getting meaningful minutes.

The sooner we trade Foster Pinelli and dever the better we will e developmentally. No we are not going to be a top team but we will have a chance for players like Yanni Amidovski Houben and whitehead to show what they have.

If they can not do it then they should be traded but the bottom line is that we need to clear some space for these guys to get ice time.

If we had a coach who knew how to develop players, it would not be so bad, but DC will play his top 2 lines 45-50 minutes a game even if they are hurt. Leaving no real ice time for the others to develop.

Agreed that is Boyd's fault.

When there is a massive gap between your 3rd and 4th line, you will see a massive separation on ice time. When your 3rd and 4th lines are equal, you won’t see one line get 18 minutes and the other 2.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
When there is a massive gap between your 3rd and 4th line, you will see a massive separation on ice time. When your 3rd and 4th lines are equal, you won’t see one line get 18 minutes and the other 2.
I lack confidence in DC and can actually see him when he can just use 2 lines in the third period.

I am hoping that Boyd and DC realize what they have compared to what others have and decide that it is better to develop for the future than try to be a top 4 team.

Heaven help us if the team gets off to a good start and someone (Kingston) is a little slow off the mark

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I lack confidence in DC and can actually see him when he can just use 2 lines in the third period.

I am hoping that Boyd and DC realize what they have compared to what others have and decide that it is better to develop for the future than try to be a top 4 team.

Heaven help us if the team gets off to a good start and someone (Kingston) is a little slow off the mark

You aren’t looking at it pragmatically. The two teams and situations are completely different. The goals will be completely different.

You can’t play 2 lines for half a game. He has no choice. If you look at those lines, I cannot tell you which is the 4th line. Virtually no configuration would show a 4th line. How can you treat a line like the 4th line when you don't even know which line is the 4th line? I guess maybe they could piece together a 4th line if it were Amidovski centring Houben and Yanni but I cannot see a configuration like that.

How about you wait for the season to start and keep an open mind. Even if he wanted to do what you say he is going to do, he can’t. I could see a heavy lean late in games on the 1st line if they are down by a goal. Throw Pinelli’s line out there every 2nd shift. Then rotate the two other lines that are going well and sit the line that is not going well. That is what normally happens. Last year with a massive experience and skill gap between the 3rd and 4th line, which line do you think is the one that gets sat in close games? That won’t happen this year by strategy. IT will happen organically based on game by game energy and performance….jsut like 90% of other coaches and how they manage their bench, especially later in games.

Reactions: beastintheeast

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Between October 18 and November 15, the 67’s play:
3x Kingston
2x Brampton
Barrie
Oshawa
Guelph
Sudbury
SSM
NB

I predict that 11 game (5 week) stretch will show all anyone needs to know about this team.

That stretch comes after a relatively soft stretch of seven games to start the season. They will play Niagara twice and they will catch Oshawa early when Senneke will be injured, Ritchie will likely be playing exhibition games with Colorado, and the other teams will be more beatable. So, they may get off to a 5-2 start but then that next 11 game stretch comes. By the end of the weekend of November 17th after the home game to Owen sound, the 67’s will be in tough staying above .500. Then they head out ont he road for the Sarnia-Windsor-London trip.

They don’t get a game against Peterborough until Nov 29th!

Coming out of the Christmas break, they are on the road against Brampton, Peterbrough, Saginaw, Flint, and Brantford. That leads them into the trade deadline week.

The schedule isn’t soft in the first half. They have six more road games than home games through Jan 5, the week prior to the deadline.

The 67’s will be in tough to show they are a team that can compete at a high level. IMO, not enough of a soft schedule to even consider getting a fortunate run. They may be able to win some close games because of goaltending. I could see that being a difference maker potentially. It was a difference maker early last year, but the top of the Conference is much stronger than the top of the conference last year. I’m not sure what the likelihood is for that to happen this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad