Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I highly doubt Flint thinks that. At least, not for the amount of transactions needed and what it would cost, if at all. It’s not going down. If Nelson and Conway prove ready, there are much more logical places for MacKenzie to land.
We, at this stage, have to assume that if there is a discussion, then the trade must be possible. Where Mack lands is up to who wants him, and if Flint wants him, that is what it is. I am sure that if they are getting MacK, they must have a reason. If not, there would not be any discussion.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
We, at this stage, have to assume that if there is a discussion, then the trade must be possible. Where Mack lands is up to who wants him, and if Flint wants him, that is what it is. I am sure that if they are getting MacK, they must have a reason. If not, there would not be any discussion.
Why do we have to assume there’s a discussion? If someone posts that Peterborough is in talks with London about Easton Cowan I’m pretty sure we don’t need to discuss it.

Reactions: MJ5

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You’ve been looking at Nathan’s stats and not watching him play. Certainly not his playoff play. Ottawa fans should remember Will Cranley. When he was 17 Nathan took the starting job from OA Will Cranley and it wasn’t even close then. It’s now two years later. I don’t know what MacKenzie is currently doing but apparently Nathan is busy stealing the show at an NHL rookies tournament. He’ll be fine if the D in front of him is solid. Flint isn’t going to trade for an OA goalie, move Day then have to Blake Smith or one of Nolan Collins or Evan Konyen who they just traded for. Especially when they’re still holding out hope and hanging onto the rights of Coulson Pitre. For a guy with injury issues?

I agree Flint could not possibly move Day if acquiring MacKenziw. But a 1B that has at times performed like an all-star even if a 4th OA until mid-November or Christmas break could work.

Reactions: MJ5 and OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree Flint could not possibly move Day if acquiring MacKenziw. But a 1B that has at times performed like an all-star even if a 4th OA until mid-November or Christmas break could work.

If the price were right, I could see this. If Day is crap, you keep the goalie OA. If he is good then either move MacK or prioritize risk mitigation in net.

If MacK stays healthy, he’d take that net as the primary. If he’s not healthy, he’d be just average.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I couldn’t see taking the risk or sitting one of Collins, Konyen, Smith….or a goalie you just traded for every night. While giving up assets you need to upgrade at Center, possibly LW and possibly D too to acquire him? As far as Day goes…and yes I know these aren’t the most solid argument to prove a goaltenders ability but Nathan was the only ‘06 OHL goalie NHL drafted last year. He was fabulous against Saginaw in the playoffs in ‘23 and last year with 8 seed Flint in front of him he allowed 2, 5, 4 (in OT) and 2 goals against OHL Champion London. Parsons with Kitchener in front of him allowed 4, 5, 5, 4 and Oster with Eastern Conference Champs Oshawa in front of him allowed 7 was pulled, 8 was pulled, 7 in 2OT and 7. Lalonde with Memorial Cup Champ Saginaw in front of him was very similar to Day’s numbers. Nathan’s best games are big games and playoff games. The doubt was the same with Luke Cavallin until he was arguably the best goalie in the 2022 playoffs on the way to taking Flint to Game 7 of the WCF. Same doubts with Andrew Oke last year before he won the Memorial Cup. One thing I’ve learned watching OHL hockey is that the team in front of the goalie has a huge effect on his numbers and often the way they look. Throw in Nathan getting rave reviews at NHL camp recently…. I’m not saying he’ll be one of the top 3 goalies in the league this year or anything but if team D in front of him is solid he is more than capable of leading them to playoff success and I have to believe the org sees that too. Do they believe in Brown as a backup? That I’m not sure about. He’s shown flashes and had bad games but you don’t spend assets to acquire an OA to be a backup and jettison a guy like Blake Smith to roster him. I fully expect Smith to be in the top 3 D you don’t want to play against this year. Is there another D in the league that’s more than held his own against Artem Guryev and Sawyer Boulton?

Reactions: MJ5 and dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I couldn’t see taking the risk or sitting one of Collins, Konyen, Smith….or a goalie you just traded for every night. While giving up assets you need to upgrade at Center, possibly LW and possibly D too to acquire him? As far as Day goes…and yes I know these aren’t the most solid argument to prove a goaltenders ability but Nathan was the only ‘06 OHL goalie NHL drafted last year. He was fabulous against Saginaw in the playoffs in ‘23 and last year with 8 seed Flint in front of him he allowed 2, 5, 4 (in OT) and 2 goals against OHL Champion London. Parsons with Kitchener in front of him allowed 4, 5, 5, 4 and Oster with Eastern Conference Champs Oshawa in front of him allowed 7 was pulled, 8 was pulled, 7 in 2OT and 7. Lalonde with Memorial Cup Champ Saginaw in front of him was very similar to Day’s numbers. Nathan’s best games are big games and playoff games. The doubt was the same with Luke Cavallin until he was arguably the best goalie in the 2022 playoffs on the way to taking Flint to Game 7 of the WCF. Same doubts with Andrew Oke last year before he won the Memorial Cup. One thing I’ve learned watching OHL hockey is that the team in front of the goalie has a huge effect on his numbers and often the way they look. Throw in Nathan getting rave reviews at NHL camp recently…. I’m not saying he’ll be one of the top 3 goalies in the league this year or anything but if team D in front of him is solid he is more than capable of leading them to playoff success and I have to believe the org sees that too. Do they believe in Brown as a backup? That I’m not sure about. He’s shown flashes and had bad games but you don’t spend assets to acquire an OA to be a backup and jettison a guy like Blake Smith to roster him. I fully expect Smith to be in the top 3 D you don’t want to play against this year. Is there another D in the league that’s more than held his own against Artem Guryev and Sawyer Boulton?

IT is possible that is why Dever was rumoured in that deal too. He is pencilled in as 2C here. Maybe Dever is the bigger target. Budget buy? I really think he is poised to produce well this year. Maybe in the 15-40-55 range. HE was great in the playoffs and down the stretch when he was shifted from RW to centre.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
IT is possible that is why Dever was rumoured in that deal too. He is pencilled in as 2C here. Maybe Dever is the bigger target. Budget buy? I really think he is poised to produce well this year. Maybe in the 15-40-55 range. HE was great in the playoffs and down the stretch when he was shifted from RW to centre.
Hmm. Very small sample size but 2g 9pts in 10 playoff games is a nice stat line and Flint’s most obvious need is a 1C or 2C.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Hmm. Very small sample size but 2g 9pts in 10 playoff games is a nice stat line and Flint’s most obvious need is a 1C or 2C.

Especially when he outscored Kressler. It was interesting to see his game elevated as a centre. He played almost the whole season as a mostly inconsequential RW. Shifted to centre, played with Stonehouse on his left and a converted D-Man, Horner on his Right. It was a pretty good line vs Brantford. They had a harder time with Oshawa but in fairness, Stonehouse was working with a bad shoulder that required surgery and is subsequently out until December. But, considering it was somewhat of a patchwork line, he did very well. It is funny how sometime a shift in position makes a bug difference.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There is a post on the Kitchener Forum that has a screen shot from OHLRangersNation Instagram Account that suggests the OHL is going to change the overage rules. One item in the post is that a team could keep an overage goaltender that does not count against the three currently allowed. Has anybody know if this is on the table?

This is posted in the Overage thread.

If this is true and becomes the new rule, it may change a lot of things for the 67’s. It would make way more sense with perspective on the proposed Flint deal. It would make more sense of Michelone being on the roster as well. Theoretically speaking, they could trade MacKenzie and keep Michelone as a platoon/backup to Nelson and it wouldn’t count toward their OA allotment.

This might make @beastintheeast happy because I stated emphatically last year there was no scenario that would have Michelone on Ottawa this yer as a backup OA Goalie. I guess there is a potential scenario! Who’d’a’thunk’it?

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009

If this is true and becomes the new rule, it may change a lot of things for the 67’s. It would make way more sense with perspective on the proposed Flint deal. It would make more sense of Michelone being on the roster as well. Theoretically speaking, they could trade MacKenzie and keep Michelone as a platoon/backup to Nelson and it wouldn’t count toward their OA allotment.

This might make @beastintheeast happy because I stated emphatically last year there was no scenario that would have Michelone on Ottawa this yer as a backup OA Goalie. I guess there is a potential scenario! Who’d’a’thunk’it?
Well if he is living in the Southeast Asia Shangri-La, and still can't be happy....

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

I don't think they would change the OA limit 2 weeks before the season starts. Some teams have already unloaded guys thinking the rule was 3. Might be a new rule for next season.

Reactions: ZinErie

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
[
I don't think they would change the OA limit 2 weeks before the season starts. Some teams have already unloaded guys thinking the rule was 3. Might be a new rule for next season.

I agree. While this rule change would benefit the Petes as they could keep Liam Sztuska and all three forwards it is too late in the preseason to make this change.

Fawlty

Dec 16, 2023
Just noticed that the 67's website appears to have updated the players weights (and height) as players like Kaleb Dietsch seems to have grown an inch and gotten heavier. Likewise Hilton, Horner and Caden are noticeably bigger. Would like to see Whitehead put on another 20 pounds if possible. Yanni Chase seems to be bigger also and players like Amidovski have the frame to probably get bigger and heavier.

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
Just noticed that the 67's website appears to have updated the players weights (and height) as players like Kaleb Dietsch seems to have grown an inch and gotten heavier. Likewise Hilton, Horner and Caden are noticeably bigger. Would like to see Whitehead put on another 20 pounds if possible. Yanni Chase seems to be bigger also and players like Amidovski have the frame to probably get bigger and heavier.

Also noticed Brady Stonehouse has been listed in the "departure" list on the OHL site 20 in 20 for Ottawa

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
He's signed and not eligible for contract slide so you have to assume he's playing AHL.

Yes. He may get reassigned so Ottawa will retain his rights until they have to get the OA slots down to the allowable limit. But, they wouldn’t roster him at this stage.

Reactions: tjziel

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yes. He may get reassigned so Ottawa will retain his rights until they have to get the OA slots down to the allowable limit. But, they wouldn’t roster him at this stage.

hes hurt for a while so hes in pergatory regardless. i could see him getting reassigned if he hasnt played a game by christmas.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
hes hurt for a while so hes in pergatory regardless. i could see him getting reassigned if he hasnt played a game by christmas.

My expectation is he returns from injury in December. I doubt Edmonton would want him to start his Pro career in December coming off an injury against Men in the ECHL.

I think as soon as he clears medically, he will get reassigned to the 67’s and the 67’s will likely move him. Out of all the 67’s OA’s, Stonehouse likely has the highest trade value considering the type of game he plays.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
My expectation is he returns from injury in December. I doubt Edmonton would want him to start his Pro career in December coming off an injury against Men in the ECHL.

I think as soon as he clears medically, he will get reassigned to the 67’s and the 67’s will likely move him. Out of all the 67’s OA’s, Stonehouse likely has the highest trade value considering the type of game he plays.
If he hasn't played a game the entire season, I don't see his trade value being that high

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You are comparing a first round nhl drafted player to brady stonehouse a undrafted unperforming player that has regressed.

if he hasnt played a year, its a bit rich to suggest that hes regressed. he could come back better if he was playing through an injury.

any trade would be conditional on points, games, etc. not that hard to figure out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad