Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
This is a dumb move that anyone with a brain should have avoided.

Bad hockey move.
PR nightmare.

No reason to do it.

No arguable gain and all sorts of pain.

High risk no reward.

Far far far more negatives than positives.

Even bad managerial types have basic tools to weight risk/rewards and pros/cons. A 5 year old could quickly do an equation of this situation and come to the conclusion it's a bad move. A genius could break it down in over a thousand ways to show how terrible the decision was.

It's so bad I would think JJ has put his own newly minted job on the block for anything less than a Stanley Cup this season.

Anything less than a dynasty as it stands today could be seen as a failure.

I am not a particularly driven person to judge something like this and quit watching/supporting the team but I am seriously considering canceling my cable and at least taking a step or two back. Maybe only follow the playoffs assuming the Oilers can make it.

If I am seriously considering this I have to think this will actually impact Oilers revenue as others obviously care far more about this than I do.

It's an insanely bad decision.
“I’m so offended by this that I’m probably going to not follow the Oilers… until they make the playoffs and then I’ll probably tune back in”

Lmfao, way to stand by your convictions, what a principled person you are.

I’m sure the team will be fine and won’t be financially devastated without Aerchons support and that will show when they start playing game again and on the balance sheet at eoy.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think you keep downplaying and underestimating how many fans are against this move.

I’ve seen polling across multiple social media platforms and it continues to indicate the majority of fans who actively follow the sport do not support this hire.

And make no mistake, the noise does get to the players. How could it not? If they don’t see it why would Jackson go private on Twitter?
There's a petition out there to fire Bowman that's been posted everywhere and it has 2800 signatures.

That's 0.0003% of the average viewers for Game 7 lol.

No one cares.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
There's a petition out there to fire Bowman that's been posted everywhere and it has 2800 signatures.

That's 0.0003% of the average viewers for Game 7 lol.

No one cares.
I am 1000% against this move and I did not sign a petition lol.

Again I think you’re underestimating how easily noise travels. It might not ruin McDavid’s wedding but I don’t doubt he’ll be asked about it.

Reactions: Aerchon

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Doesn’t have to be at the wedding itself. It could be before, it could be after.

Either way, nosy people are going to be nosy and it was completely avoidable.
I am not here to say that Bowman was the right hire because it is way too soon to say one way or another. But if JJ feels that he is the best candidate or at least the best candidate that was willing to come here, then f*** it all, you deal with it and make the tough but right decision for the team.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Read the report. Simple question- did Boman know?

Know what?

And why would you bother reading it if it was “paid for by the Blackhawks?” And why do you need to ask questions if you purportedly read it?

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
What I find interesting is that the issue people have with Bowman in what their view is an egregious error that many say calls into question his morality and basic human decency. It’s that he had knowledge of a potential SA and he never followed up on it, which resulted in the predator being able to commit other crimes. The fact is, Kyle Beach and several others similarly had knowledge of the same SA and similarly never followed up at the time or even for years after Aldrich quietly resigned. Yet here so many are, burning one man at the stake while giving a pass to several others guilty of the same sin. Doesn’t seem to be a lot of consistency there for many.
I pretty much said the same thing and had my post removed. Be careful, but you also worded it better than I did. The whole logic that Bowman is a rape enabler hits a snag when you bring up that Beach did nothing to involve the law either. No one wants to blame the victim understandably, and the whole thing was an awful mess that could have been avoided in many ways. Lives were permanently affected and damaged.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I think you keep downplaying and underestimating how many fans are against this move.

I’ve seen polling across multiple social media platforms and it continues to indicate the majority of fans who actively follow the sport do not support this hire.
Social media is not a reflection of real life. In either direction re: this hire.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What I find interesting is that the issue people have with Bowman in what their view is an egregious error that many say calls into question his morality and basic human decency. It’s that he had knowledge of a potential SA and he never followed up on it, which resulted in the predator being able to commit other crimes. The fact is, Kyle Beach and several others similarly had knowledge of the same SA and similarly never followed up at the time or even for years after Aldrich quietly resigned. Yet here so many are, burning one man at the stake while giving a pass to several others guilty of the same sin. Doesn’t seem to be a lot of consistency there for many.

The fact that you think its appropriate to suggest Kyle Beach would have any or equal culpability in this is so reprehensible. As for others who are responsible, I'm sure everyone would be equally upset if we hired them as well. But we didn't. We hired Bowman. If Quenneville was brought the same questions would be asked.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Social media is not a reflection of real life. In either direction re: this hire.
I think things are changing and will continue to do so with each generation. Not sure where on the spectrum we are now but certainly the online temperature is more reflective of the real world now than it was even 5 years ago.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
One of those guys might be @Pavel10 . He thinks it’s ok to accost players at Superstore or any other public space.
Good lord, rent free you and the Bowman defenders. I said these things WILL happen more. People like you insist it's no big deal. Soenthing soenthing if you can't take it ask for a trade. Hope Bowman was worth it for you fans.

This a microcosm of what it's like dealing with fans when things are going good.

They've hired a mediocre gm and they've increased the likelihood the players have to deal with this shit.

Hope it was worth it to get Bowman.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
They've hired a mediocre gm and they've increased the likelihood the players have to deal with this shit.
Well, it’s kinda like having a mediocre poster show up on the board and everyone else having to deal with his shit. ;)

We’re learning to manage, although it is a PITA, but if that’s the case for the players (but I think not) they will learn to manage too.

Any hoo, you’re not worth the bandwidth. I will ignore you, you can choose to reciprocate.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Well, it’s kinda like having a mediocre poster show up on the board and everyone else having to deal with his shit. ;)

We’re learning to manage, although it is a PITA, but if that’s the case for the players (but I think not) they will learn to manage too.

Any hoo, you’re not worth the bandwidth. I will ignore you, you can choose to reciprocate.
Your wish I guess being critical of bowman has rubbed people the wrong way.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Your wish I guess being critical of bowman has rubbed people the wrong way.
You think “being critical of Bowman” is all you are doing and that’s what’s rubbed people the wrong way?

Lol k. Couldn’t be the fact that you lied and stated as a matter of fact that Kennedy, was 100% corrupt? Couldn’t be your constant mischaracterization of what Bowman actually did and the report on Bowman either? Cmon.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
“I’m so offended by this that I’m probably going to not follow the Oilers… until they make the playoffs and then I’ll probably tune back in”

Lmfao, way to stand by your convictions, what a principled person you are.

I’m sure the team will be fine and won’t be financially devastated without Aerchons support and that will show when they start playing game again and on the balance sheet at eoy.
Fed da trl. Lrn 2 Reed. I dnt car.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No need to wonder. JJ was asked and confirmed he spoke to Katz about this.

Obviously he did, I'm just wondering if the situation was like JJ was down to 2-3 candidates and Katz was the one really pushing for Bowman "because Cups". This org seems to really over value past Cup wins with a GM hire and Katz is the main consistent who would have influence on these decisions.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Obviously he did, I'm just wondering if the situation was like JJ was down to 2-3 candidates and Katz was the one really pushing for Bowman "because Cups". This org seems to really over value past Cup wins with a GM hire and Katz is the main consistent who would have influence on these decisions.
Hard to say. We just know that they talked. My speculation, is that Katz showed his trust in JJ with the initial hire of JJ. That was a hire that had to be explained to the fanbase and Holland himself, as it would be kind of odd to give Holland a “boss” in his last year. So based on the initial trust during the hire that could have only increased since with the success of the Knob hire, I’d assume he just went with JJs recommendation here.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad