Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition II - Winter Meeting Madness

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
1. Springer (RF)
2. Kirk (DH)
3. Vladdy Jr. (1B)
4. Bichette (SS)
5. Jansen (C)
6. Chapman (3B)
7. Varsho (LF)
8. Merrifield/Espinal(2B)
9. Kiermaier (CF)

I like it, still need a bench bat imo.
Looks fantastic. Jays aren't done either

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Do I understand correctly that if someone pinch runs for Kirk as DH, then Varsho could be available to move over from outfield to catcher if Janssen comes out of the game and a replacement is needed?

If so, that kind of versatility sounds right up the Blue Jays alley.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
another thing about varsho, he had to play in a division with the dodgers/giants/padres and their respective pitching staffs. and the division has arguably 3 of the top 8 or so pitcher friendly parks in mlb. im getting more and more excited the more i think about it.

Reactions: kb

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So, what else do we need? If anything?

There aren't any must adds left which is nice. We might add a better 5th starting pitching, we might add another pen arm, possibly a lefty. We might add a bench bat, probably an outfielder. We have 2 bench spots essentially open right now(Lopez, and 1 of Lukes/Horwitz/Barger probably the best internal options right now).

I would say a bench bat is the mostly likely thing.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Looks like there are 2 bats for the bench up for grabs. One maybe for Lopez/Barger, but I think getting a RH bat that can cut into replacing Teo's LH production would be fantastic. Otherwise, the team looks fantastic.

Everyday guys:
Springer OF - 132 wRC+ / 4.2 fWAR
Vlad 1B/DH - 132 / 2.8
Bo SS - 129 / 4.5
Kirk C/DH - 129 / 3.8
Chapman 3B - 117 / 4.1
Varsho CF/RF - 106 / 4.6

Basically Everyday Guys:
Jansen C - 140 / 2.6
Espinal 2B/SS/3B - 99 / 2.3
Merrifield 2B/LF/CF - 88 / 1.5
Kiermaier OF - 90 / 1.1

Bench:
Biggio 1B/2B/OF - 97 / 1.3

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It will be interesting to see how much the shift effected Varsho's approach and also results.

Here's a great quote on how the shift has influenced certain players mindset at the plate.

"A pull-hitter that faces constant infield shifts may adapt their swing to elicit more flyballs over line drives and groundballs, as the former is the only guaranteed way to beat the infield shift. But when this type of shift is banned, a player could level out their swing. A possible differentiation in plate approach makes the inclusion of all batted balls necessary."

Varsho ranked #1 in MLB last season in pull %

Screenshot (483).png

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Looking through remaining free agents, I think I'm on board with Andrew McCutchen. Veteran player who's fallen off a lot but still has a 145 wRC+ vs LHP the last three years. The defense is questionable, but that's ok since it would be Kiermaier or Varsho in CF when he's in the lineup.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

That Fenway overlay is ridiculous. I think that’s over 50 HRs, maybe more. If he gives us 20-25 again with elite defense and slightly better on base percentage, I’d be happy.

Reactions: Starry Knight

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
lol this might be a bit hyperbolic, but if he corrects a bit at the plate(was a monster in the minors) and with shift changes that i believe will naturally bump his numbers up, its not out of the realm of possibility that varsho becomes a trout-lite type of player.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Last 3 years wRC+ vs L of the Remaining Free agents;

11. AJ Pollock - 155
16. Nelson Cruz - 145
20. Evan Longoria - 143
23. Andrew McCutchen - 142
31. Robbie Grossman - 139

Teo is #2 on this list but he isn’t a platoon player.

Pollock or Grossman might be your guy if you’re looking for slightly better defense and base running.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Last 3 years wRC+ vs L of the Remaining Free agents;

11. AJ Pollock - 155
16. Nelson Cruz - 145
20. Evan Longoria - 143
23. Andrew McCutchen - 142
31. Robbie Grossman - 139

Teo is #2 on this list but he isn’t a platoon player.

Pollock or Grossman might be your guy if you’re looking for slightly better defense and base running.
I mentioned Pollock a few pages ago but I think he’s too expensive and might not want a platoon role.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Pretty big gamble by Atkins imo.

Not only with trading away Moreno, but with two popular clubhouse players in Gurriel and Teo.

We’ll see how it works out.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Happy to be wrong but I hate this trade. Would have rather tried to move him to Cleveland for Kwan.

Still, it does make sense if you believe in the bat (elite defense, and lefty). It also gives us a third-string catcher when we play Jansen and Kirk in the lineup at the same time. Guess no one wanted superstar Danny Jansen.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Pretty big gamble by Atkins imo.

Not only with trading away Moreno, but with two popular clubhouse players in Gurriel and Teo.

We’ll see how it works out.
But were they popular? Management stated they wanted to improve run protection and the attitude within the clubhouse. Seeing as they got rid of Gurriel and Teoscar I don't think they were as popular as we think.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
But were they popular? Management stated they wanted to improve run protection and the attitude within the clubhouse. Seeing as they got rid of Gurriel and Teoscar I don't think they were as popular as we think.
Popular with the core I think. Maybe not so popular with the management lol.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I like the trade quite a bit. Picking up probably the best combination of short-term needs, controllability, and team fit while giving up a reliable player (Gurriel) and an excellent MLB-ready prospect at a redundant position. If Varsho can make acclimatize, his defensive presence could have the same affect on the outfield. as Chapman had on the infield defence. The big hope is that the rule changes and different ballpark will unlock something in him. Even if he remains the exact same player, this is a trade you make every time.

Frees up a roster spot as well. Gurriel and Moreno being imperfect pieces made the roster a bit too funky.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Happy to be wrong but I hate this trade. Would have rather tried to move him to Cleveland for Kwan.

Still, it does make sense if you believe in the bat (elite defense, and lefty). It also gives us a third-string catcher when we play Jansen and Kirk in the lineup at the same time. Guess no one wanted superstar Danny Jansen.

I’d say it’s more so the Jays placing a higher internal value on Jansen than what was out there. Helsley was on the table, not surprised they didn’t bite at that. Also not surprised they didn’t move Tiedemann for Reynolds or another OF. With Varsho you do get some rare versatility which helps you keep Kirk in more of a DH role.

Definitely hope Varsho’s bat keeps improving and he can become at least passable against lefties. But even at the level it’s at, coupled with his rather ridiculous OF defence, he can quietly put up 4-5 win seasons for the next 4+ years here. Not many catchers get the games in to hit that. Moreno could be one of them, and I hope this ends up being a win-win, but there is some risk there too based on his most recent development.

For the record I would have loved Kwan too but I doubt he’s available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad