Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 5.0 - The Winter Meeting Chronicles

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Stressful? They make millions.

Edwin went from expecting a contract in the $80-100 million range and is reportedly having trouble getting one in the $60 million range. Would you be stressed out if next month you made 40% less money then you were expecting?

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Edwin went from expecting a contract in the $80-100 million range and is reportedly having trouble getting one in the $60 million range. Would you be stressed out if next month you made 40% less money then you were expecting?

I'd want to strangle my agent.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Why is Smoak even a thought in that scenario?

perhaps more of an obtuse/tactical reason, but I could also see mentioning Smoak because if you don't it's a giant blaring signal flare that you intend to trade him, which would torpedo his already minimal value even farther. As it stands if you act like you still have a place for him on the team, maybe you get a bullpen lottery ticket or something like that. If everyone knows that you have no intention of seeing Smoak in a 2017 Jays uniform, then everyone will either just make you take a PTBNL or sit back and wait for the waiver wire transaction.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
That blackom? From Colorado has a pretty good looking season behind him. I would be willing to trade stroman for him. 25 home runs and a 330 batting average. Maybe...... add fowler with him.. hell even without fowler he's kind of a catch all. And as much as I am not a fan of Jose. I would be hard pressed not to take him at below the QO. Short term.

It would be a successful off season. Getting better over all. They will put alot more balls in play.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

I'd only be stressed if I spent it before I made it.

And no, it's not the same as me getting a 40% pay cut, which is the difference between owning a home or being homeless.

The difference for him is 6 Ferrari or only 3.

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010
The last thing I want to see is Bautista back. Not worth adding him and not getting the pick. Was counting down the days until he was gone got tired of his play and attitude.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

And no, it's not the same as me getting a 40% pay cut, which is the difference between owning a home or being homeless.

Okay but if you were expecting 100 and got less than 60 you wouldn't be pleased.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That blackom? From Colorado has a pretty good looking season behind him. I would be willing to trade stroman for him. 25 home runs and a 330 batting average. Maybe...... add fowler with him.. hell even without fowler he's kind of a catch all. And as much as I am not a fan of Jose. I would be hard pressed not to take him at below the QO. Short term.

It would be a successful off season. Getting better over all. They will put alot more balls in play.

key words here is "from Colorado", never buy high on a Coors hitter. He's 30 and had exactly 1 good season with a .350 BABIP and a sudden increase in ISO. I wouldn't trust it, and certainly not for Stroman, not even close

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County

It's a stressful situation. Millions are at stake for the man. No doubt about it. It doesn't make it any less true just because he is already loaded.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
It's a stressful situation. Millions are at stake for the man. No doubt about it. It doesn't make it any less true just because he is already loaded.

I'd be far more stressed about being unsure what city me and my family would be living in and potentially not going back to a group of guys you apparently really like.

Either way, wouldn't be happy to get 60 cents on the dollar, but you get over it a lot quicker the higher the $.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I'd be far more stressed about being unsure what city me and my family would be living in and potentially not going back to a group of guys you apparently really like.

Either way, wouldn't be happy to get 60 cents on the dollar, but you get over it a lot quicker the higher the $.

In my original comment pertaining to this subject I said the situation would be stressful. Not just referring to the money aspect. Morales can at least sleep easy knowing where he is going to be residing. Edwin can't.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

It's easier for you to say you would worry less about money than location etc you and I will never see $10m let alone $80. It's a lot easier to have principals when you have no chance at the money if you were in ee's or any players shoes you would be most $$$ as possible.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
key words here is "from Colorado", never buy high on a Coors hitter. He's 30 and had exactly 1 good season with a .350 BABIP and a sudden increase in ISO. I wouldn't trust it, and certainly not for Stroman, not even close

I'm probably over-valuing Stroman a bit, but, to me, Blackmon's value is roughly half Stroman's. Like... it would literally take a second player of equal value to Blackmon for me to consider a trade.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
It's easier for you to say you would worry less about money than location etc you and I will never see $10m let alone $80. It's a lot easier to have principals when you have no chance at the money if you were in ee's or any players shoes you would be most $$$ as possible.

People really underestimate the pressure of the union to get the best possible deal, too.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

I'd be pissed but not stressed. He has made millions and will make millions.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The picks really do seem to be a big deal for this FO.

While I agree Fowler seems a good fit, and the market for him EE and JB are kinda wierd - so it could go either way, it does seem their eyes are set equally on the future and present.

I'm not opposed to that.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I'd be pissed but not stressed. He has made millions and will make millions.

I'm sure he'd like to relax in his new home with his new money. To bad he can't though because he doesn't know where he is going to live. That sucks.

Anyways, this is a dumb dispute anyways. Hardly baseball talk.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I'm sure he'd like to relax in his new home with his new money. To bad he can't though because he doesn't know where he is going to live. That sucks.

Anyways, this is a dumb dispute anyways. Hardly baseball talk.

He's probably a little stressed but he has nothing to worry about. There are people out there with real stress. Myself, I have a good job and nothing really stresses me out because I know there are people with severe medical issues, people going through tough times financially etc. that have real stress.

Agreed on the last point.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
The picks really do seem to be a big deal for this FO.

While I agree Fowler seems a good fit, and the market for him EE and JB are kinda wierd - so it could go either way, it does seem their eyes are set equally on the future and present.

I'm not opposed to that.

I like the idea of them focusing on picks as well. There's a somewhat decent set up for the present with young pitching and an actual cornerstone to build around offensively (Donaldson). Then you have guys like SRF, Tellez and Vlad Jr. who could make an impact in a few years. It's a good set up because they'll be building up the system while remaining competitive and the current front office has proven themselves before in their ability to draft good pitching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad