Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 5.0 - The Winter Meeting Chronicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
If EE re-signs, I would say our team could be better on paper going into next season than it was this past season.

Morales + Pearce >= Baustista + Saunders imo

We'd still need another OF, and bullpen arms of course.

It will be interesting to see where Saunders lands - if he isn't too expensive I wouldn't mind bringing him back on a short term deal.

Are our 5 OFs not enough?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
you're giving them too much credit. Zaun and a lot of the circus look at his height and think that's enough information to make conclusions

rabble rabble Tom Gordon rabble.

fun fact: just under half of Gordon's career bWAR accumulation came in seasons where he was predominantly a starter.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Are our 5 OFs not enough?

Pillar is the only OF we have now I'm comfortable with.

Pearce is getting older and has injury history, I don't know if he will be an everyday OFer.

Melvin is best suited for a platoon role.

Pompey is unproven, and I don't have much faith in his bat.

Zeke is more of a bench guy.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
If we were to sign EE though that takes us out on Fowler you'd think, and I kinda have my heart set on him TBH. The OF would still need to be dealt with with probably 1 addition and it would likely have to come through trade since any signing would be too cheap to be good enough.

IF we sign EE, we can send Smoak to the farm and carry

Pillar/Pearce/Upton/Pompey/Zeke on the roster. That's a palatable OF with some upside.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
So do the White Sox have the best prospect pool in the majors now? Big couple days for their farm system.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I mean as a Plan B to Fowler.

ok yeah my bad, mis-read that.

If we didn't get Fowler I feel like we need to add a guy better than what's on the free agent market which means trade, wouldn't mind Rajai as the 3rd outfielder, not sure you want a Davis, Pillar and Upton/Zeke/Pompey outfield, actusally I'm pretty sure you don't, but we have like 3 maybes already, he's probably better than all of them so who knows.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Just to quote it:

Blair: "What would it take for you to trade Marcus Stroman?"
Atkins: "Yeah, a lot. A lot. I mean, there's no player...its interesting...I think some executives still view certain players as untouchable. We're in the business where we don't want to create absolutes, or black and whites. We want to listen, and engage, and think creatively about how you put the best team on the field. But Marcus Stroman is an incredible athlete, he's someone that we are very fortunate to have, and he's someone who obviously has been very successful so far. I'm sure a lot teams would like to have him, and we're glad he's a Toronto Blue Jay."

Blair: "Do you get asked about your young pitchers a lot: Stroman, Sanchez, Osuna?"
Atkins: "You know, not as much as you would think. Because, I think everyone understands that we're not motivated to move them. I think we get asked about them enough for teams to know that it would take a lot for us to move those guys."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad