Celtics/NBA Off-Season/Draft - Celtics complete sign-and-trade, send Gordon Hayward to Hornets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
The NBA salary cap loopholes require a phd to understand, but does Hayward have any incentive to accept a sign and trade over just opting out and signing as a FA? Like some kind of Bird Rule thing?
There are some exceptions, but in general, teams have to be under the cap in order to sign free agents. If someone wants to sign Hayward to $20 million/year UFA contract, then they need to be $20 million under the cap.

At the moment, most of the teams that project to have significant cap space are teams that aren't great - Atlanta, the Knicks, Sacramento, etc. If Hayward opts out, there's a decent chance that he'll either have to take a significant pay cut or end up playing for a team that's in the midst of a rebuild.

If he's willing to work out a "sign and trade" deal with another team, that could give him more control over where he ends up. Let's say he wants to sign with Indiana, who are currently over the cap. All the Pacers could offer Hayward as a UFA is a Mid-Level Exemption, which is about $9.5 million/year. But if your team is over the cap, you can still make trades as long as you send out roughly the same amount of salary you take back.

That means that if Hayward and the Pacers agree to a $20 million/year deal, then he would actually sign the contract with the Celtics, who would then agree to flip him to Indiana in exchange for $20 million in salaries in return. Hayward has more control over where he ends up, and the Celtics don't end up losing a valuable asset for nothing in return... win/win.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I remember being very excited when they signed Hayward, but his career here kind of turned out like Loui Eriksson with the Bruins, injuries and didnt seem to be the marquis player I thought he would be

Reactions: bbfan419

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Would kinda be hilarious if Danny does nothing and both Hayward/Walker are back with team knowing Danny tried to trade them.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Sounds like Atlanta and Boston might be working on a " sign and trade " deal involving Gordon Hayward. No word on who would be coming back but Atlanta does hold the #6 pick tomorrow. :dunno:
Good , Hayward is still a good player, but injury troubles and never really became the player here as he was before he got to Boston, Celtics seemed to play better anyway when he was out of the lineup. I would trade him for another player or another 1st round pick easily.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Lots of buzz around this team for Danny to trade a late 1st rounder for some cash considerations

also a pretty bad sign that our only real big FA signings either want out after 2 years or are in rumors after one.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Presti is being hailed as some genius for getting so many first round picks, until no free agent wants to sign in Oklahoma, no all star level player with term is going to be traded and anyone with a year or two left won't commit to them long term making it harder to part with assets and now they're stuck as a bad team with not enough roster spots for all their draft picks. The Celtics were a good team and have had issues with too many picks, not enough roster spots and having a hard time making trades to make it less of a issue, okc will be in a even tougher spot in a few years. 9 first rounds picks in the next 4 drafts, that's over half the roster

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
I remember being very excited when they signed Hayward, but his career here kind of turned out like Loui Eriksson with the Bruins, injuries and didnt seem to be the marquis player I thought he would be
I liked Loui & I like Hayward, but you make a good analogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad