Off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Never seen an opposing goalie play the puck so much and make the Habs' dump and chase look so pathetic since Brodeur. Yet they kept doing it again and again. Therrien puck all night. Passive, no puck support on breakouts, puck off da glass or da boards, stretch passes, and dump and chase. 2 - 9 vs TB and the road to winning the East is gonna go through them again next year. MB better wake up and make some unpopular decisions and make this team better. It's pretty pointless to acquire a Petry for a 2nd round pick to get knocked out like they did tonight.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
That's pretty drastic. He's fantastic with Patches on the penalty kill and it leaves a huge void in the top 6 if you don't get a similar replacement.

I'm tired of his playoff no-shows but Habs could do a lot worse for a 2nd line C.

Assuming the McGuire rumor was true:

Pacioretty ____ Gallagher
Galchenyuk Plekanec ____
Desharnais* Anisimov DSP
Prust DLR Weise
Mitchell

I'd really love for MB to do whatever it takes to land Ryan O'Reilly

*please note this is a complete fantasy lineup without Therrien's input.

Michael-scott-no-god-no.gif

Rscorpio

Epic Meal Time!
Feb 9, 2004
Santiago, Chile
That's pretty drastic. He's fantastic with Patches on the penalty kill and it leaves a huge void in the top 6 if you don't get a similar replacement.

I'm tired of his playoff no-shows but Habs could do a lot worse for a 2nd line C.

Assuming the McGuire rumor was true:

Pacioretty ____ Gallagher
Galchenyuk Plekanec ____
Desharnais* Anisimov DSP
Prust DLR Weise
Mitchell

I'd really love for MB to do whatever it takes to land Ryan O'Reilly

*please note this is a complete fantasy lineup without Therrien's input.

Wait ...what rumor??

Garnet

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
1. Fix the PP!! Bring in a new PP coach!
2. Sign Petry and trade Gilbert.
3. Move AlexG to center and add a scoring threat. Which helps #1.

I like the Smith Pelly trade long term. I expect a different payer next year as he will be in shape.
Thomas is going nowhere in my opinion. Him and patches are the Habs two best all round players. We need more of them!

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
The Habs don't need Ryan OReilly. They already have Eller, and if given the minutes and right teammates, he'd just as good as O'Reilly.

Canadiens need a #1 centre and a top 6 winger.

Nickname Pending

Feb 6, 2008
Edmonton
Centres for next year:
Galchenyuk - 1st line C : heavy OZ starts, favourable line match ups on home ice. Patches and ?? for wingers
Eller - 2nd line C : balanced use, even OZ starts, two way line. Gallagher and ?? for wingers
Plekanec - 3rd line C : shutdown C, heavy DZ starts. Wingers: ? Smith-Pelly, ? McCarron

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
The overrating of Galchenyuk baffles me.

He hasn't shown anything to demonstrate that he's going to be a #1 centre except the fact that he was drafted #3.

In 3 years, he's shown he's a 3rd line player at best.

HabsDieHard*

Never seen an opposing goalie play the puck so much and make the Habs' dump and chase look so pathetic since Brodeur. Yet they kept doing it again and again. Therrien puck all night. Passive, no puck support on breakouts, puck off da glass or da boards, stretch passes, and dump and chase. 2 - 9 vs TB and the road to winning the East is gonna go through them again next year. MB better wake up and make some unpopular decisions and make this team better. It's pretty pointless to acquire a Petry for a 2nd round pick to get knocked out like they did tonight.

I have a very serious fear that Bergevin will get caught up in the regular season results, and is not able to critically analyze the situation well enough to actually see how much of an impact Price needed to provide EVERY night for this team to have a chance to win.

If there was ever the evidence needed, the inability to not shoot the puck in deep for Bishop to retrieve the entire season against the Lightning is it.

Therrien does not know how to get the best out of his players offensively.

It's that simple.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Everything is awfuuuuuuuul!
Fire the coach, and trade all of the team.
Everything is awfuuuuuuuul!

Yes and no. Tampa after getting swept, identifed that their D was a problem went scorched earth on their back-end and improved it significantly. They saw a problem and addressed it. They added Stralman, Garrison and Coburn. Got rid of Gudas and Brewer. The Habs need to restructure their top 6. Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher and Plekanec are good pieces, they need support and some shifting roles though.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
The overrating of Galchenyuk baffles me.

He hasn't shown anything to demonstrate that he's going to be a #1 centre except the fact that he was drafted #3.

In 3 years, he's shown he's a 3rd line player at best.

Dude, Chill.

He is 20 years old. How about you relax a little ?

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Projected cap: 73M
Commited cap: 58.2M
Cap room: 14.8M

10 forwards back, 2 RFA, 1 spot left
4 defensemen back, 1 RFA, 2 spots left
set in net

Forwards
Cap Hit: 29.5

Plekanec, Tomas - 5.0
Pacioretty, Max - 4.5
Parenteau, Pierre-Alexandre - 4.0
Gallagher, Brendan - 3.75
Desharnais, David - 3.5
Eller, Lars - 3.5
Prust, Brandon - 2.5
Weise, Dale - 1.025
De La Rose, Jacob - 0.925
Smith-Pelly, Devante - 0.800

RFA
Flynn, Brian
Galchenyuk, Alex

UFA
Malhotra, Manny
Mitchell, Torrey

Defencemen
Cap hit: 21.650

Subban, P.K. 9.0
Markov, Andrei 5.75
Emelin, Alexei 4.1
Gilbert, Tom 2.8

RFA
Beaulieu, Nathan
Tinordi, Jarred
Pateryn, Greg

UFA
Gonchar, Sergei
Petry, Jeff
Weaver, Mike

Goaltenders
Cap hit: 7.062

Price, Carey 6.5
Tokarski, Dustin 0.562

Let's say Habs sign Petry for Stralman's money (4.5M/Y), Galchenyuk for 3.5M and Flynn for 1M or less (easily replaceable) and another 4th line center for 1M. That leaves about 4 to 5M for Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn who are RFA. That leaves the Habs with basically no cap space.

Pacioretty - DD - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Parenteau
De La Rose - Eller - Weise
Prust - Mitchell - DSP
Flynn

Markov - Subban
Beaulieu - Petry
Tinordi - Gilbert
Pateryn

Price
Tokarski

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
1- Galchenyuk isn't a winger and is still young, but stop playing with him.
2- Eller is ready to take the next step, Plekanec got the value needed to add a good piece.
3- We need to get bigger on the top 6.
4- We need to plan for the after-Markov and sign Petry.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - XXXXXX
XXXXXXX - Eller - Gallagher
DSP - De La Rose - XXXXXX
Prust - XXXXXX - Weise
McCarron - Hudon - Scherback
Anrighetto

Beaulieu - Subban
Markov - Petry
XXXXX - Pateryn

Try to improve from there.....

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Yes and no. Tampa after getting swept, identifed that their D was a problem went scorched earth on their back-end and improved it significantly. They saw a problem and addressed it. They added Stralman, Garrison and Coburn. Got rid of Gudas and Brewer. The Habs need to restructure their top 6. Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher and Plekanec are good pieces, they need support and some shifting roles though.

You mean Vanicioretty, Plekalittlegirl and Bustchenyuk!?

Honey Badger will eventually become Tea Bagger and The Price is Right will be cancelled!!

Have I made it obvious enough that sarcasm is heavily involved? :laugh:

Just having some fun. I'm not down in the dumps at all. Actually looking forward to what they do in the off-season and how next year shapes up.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
1- Galchenyuk isn't a winger and is still young, but stop playing with him.
2- Eller is ready to take the next step, Plekanec got the value needed to add a good piece.
3- We need to get bigger on the top 6.
4- We need to plan for the after-Markov and sign Petry.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - XXXXXX
XXXXXXX - Eller - Gallagher
DSP - De La Rose - XXXXXX
Prust - XXXXXX - Weise
McCarron - Hudon - Scherback
Anrighetto

Beaulieu - Subban
Markov - Petry
XXXXX - Pateryn

Try to improve from there.....

Galchenyuk-Eller-DLR down the middle...who's the 4th line C? Conor McDavid?

Otherwise that's a lineup struggling to make the playoffs, even with Price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad