OEL On the Move? Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
There was an unverified twitter account that said OEL added two more teams to his list. Has that been proven false?

Looks like horsepoo. We'd definitely have heard about it by now.

Jagged Ice

Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
This could all become very uneventful I'm afraid. RT stays, OEL stays, and nothing else major happs. We'll probably even keep the howling logo.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
OEL’s agent sets a deadline. 62hrs on the clock.
Bruins are waiting for either Krugs agent to say " yes we have a deal" or the Coyotes to say yes.
First come, first served, as Sweeney has said he does not want both players.
I think we find out by tomorrow latest if the OEL deal is a yes.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
CAN'T blame OEL, he didn't ask to be traded, team came to him asking if he'd waive, didn't need to provide any, but did provide 2 teams. Then team came back to him asking that he expand his list, not surprisingly (and like any of us would likely do in his situation) he said no. He just wants a deadline so he can plan his future, don't blame him at all.

CAN'T blame GMBA, who is 3 weeks into the job and his first order of duty is trading your the team's captain and best player, who also has a full NMC...but be sure to get the best possible return. No pressure, huh? He's doing everything possible to make this happen, but also not end up with 50 cents on the dollar return. What a mess, good luck Army!

CAN'T blame Meurelo who is the most financially committed owner this franchise has seen in Arizona. He put his money where his mouth is and despite the huge impacts COVID on this business' he remains steadfast in his commitment to this team and Arizona.

BLAME the coach who was hired due to his superstar whisperer capabilities, yet he can't get along with the team's best player, has seen younger player regress under his watch and team is moving in the wrong direction on the ice. And don't get me started on Kessel!

Pretty obvious who needs to go.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It seems as thought the Coyotes have all the answers they're going to get. If they have "final" offers on the table from Boston and Vancouver and OEL has made it absolutely clear that he will go to either of those locations by 11:59pm Thursday, or he will remain a Coyote, there really isn't anything to wait on. There's no reason to take this to the draft floor, as none of the three teams have a first round pick.
I'd just wait. I think Benning blinks. Did you see the list of "Plan B" defensemen. Plus, you don't get Barrie AND get rid of a Sutter or Beagle in one swoop. I'd take the same approach. I have a #1 dman and you know my price. Let me know before Friday.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I doubt there'd be anything worthwhile said. He's going to be very vanilla right now.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I'd just wait. I think Benning blinks. Did you see the list of "Plan B" defensemen. Plus, you don't get Barrie AND get rid of a Sutter or Beagle in one swoop. I'd take the same approach. I have a #1 dman and you know my price. Let me know before Friday.

Looks like OEL's agent is on Vancouver radio stirring up sh*t, saying the OEL trade is driven because of his huge contract. Problem is nothing will change later. He will still have his NMC. If we wait another year Vancouver's bind will get easier contract wise. Vancouver know this of course.

This sh't makes me want to retain OEL AND Tocchet.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

That's a very telling tweet

I'm more than fine trading him to kickstart a rebuild. I'm also fine with keeping him if a trade doesn't do that. Sounds like he wants to stay. I'm all for it if it kicks Tocc to the curb.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

But everybody act in good faith at the time. So are everyone now, right? If OEL uses his NMC to only give two options and bind the hand of the Coyotes he cannot complain if the Coyotes cannot get a deal better than the weight of his contract.

OEL's agent has been a busy little bee behind the scenes, no doubt.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I heard the recap. He basically said VAN or BOS by Noon Friday or it’s AZ for this season. That’s that.
So Benning has until Friday to decide if he wants to resign Markstrom and add a top pairing D while dumping a bad contract or if he wants to go through the grab bag for defensemen and find another way to move cap.

There's only a few teams offering to take bad contracts and they all want something. There's only one who will take your bad contract and give you a top defenseman at the same time for a net gain in cap space...

Or you can waste the year and try again without two or more of Markstrom, Toffoli, Stetcher, Virtanen with a free agent patchjob.

Neither is incredibly attractive.

It's up to Benning, (if Boston hasn't and won't meet the price).

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Can’t we just eat Sutter AND Eriksson? Buy them both out next season and STILL save a ton of cash. GiveS Vancouver the cap they need to keep Markstrom. AZ adds less than a million in cash for this season.

I think we would deserve Podkolzin at that point AND Juolevi.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Can’t we just eat Sutter AND Eriksson? Buy them both out next season and STILL save a ton of cash. GiveS Vancouver the cap they need to keep Markstrom. AZ adds less than a million in cash for this season.

Yup. But apparently we don't want to add bad contracts... ties our hands and Benning's if true.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
It doesn’t make sense. It adds 500k next season and if we buy them out, it only costs 5.5m total, spread out over two seasons. This is cheap.

Exactly. Makes little sense. Even financially I see little point in moving OEL for underwhelming return. It will bite the franchise in other ways if they do, costing revenue due to suckage. Swings and roundabouts. OEL is not even unhappy in Arizona, RT apart but there are a**holes everywhere.

Reactions: _Del_

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

I think we're willing to eat bad contracts, but we want to get paid for it. Just like any other team. I think Benning is trying to say, "Well, I'll give you 75% retail on OEL, but you have to eat this contract". I don't think we're willing to give a 25% discount AND eat an unmoveable contract without compensation. If we have to eat a horrendous contract, the price goes up. We're right up against the cap ourselves. I don't see why we'd eat Eriksson just to facilitate a deal.

If you are going to shuffle money in a trade, it should be as a value add, or as someone more or less contract neutral. Virtanen and Stetcher? Two guys that are getting priced out anyway and have some potential value to the Coyotes? Sure, let's talk about what a deal with that combined 6M in cap looks like. Moore, Wagner, Ritchie, Chiasson, Russel, maybe? That's fine, we'll take your bad money. It's not eggregious in term, money, cap, all are NHL players. If it helps make a deal, great.

Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle all with too much money and/or term for what they bring? There better be some incentive beyond "I can't make the deal unless you take this guy". If that's true, I guess we can't make a deal.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It doesn’t make sense. It adds 500k next season and if we buy them out, it only costs 5.5m total, spread out over two seasons. This is cheap.

Mr. Frugality is acting as expected.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If it's so cheap Vancouver should do it. It's not our problem. I wouldn't make someone else's problem our problem unless there was some benefit to taking the problem.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

I'd be very supportive of adding Sutter if we got an asset included. We could then trade Stepan 50% retained costing us only 1M in cash. I bet there's a team out there that would love to have him on their 3rd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad