Observations XXVII

Should a moderator become involved and direct this thread to true Observations, X's and O's ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
It just is painful to watch Rinne surrender to age. It has to be frustrating and humiliating for him. I'm really hoping they find a plausible reason to put him on IR for a while and let Ingram get a few NHL starts in some of these BTBs.

I thought the same thing. His body just doesn't do what he is asking it to do. The "no comments" after the game last night are a first for him in my recollection. He's carried this franchise through some years when we had no business competing at the level we did.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
This is the latest season defining set of games this year. The team remains in the wild card position by points percentage but can't afford many more losses in the next stretch of games.

Every game is meaningful ... none are independently crucial.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
I'm curious if anyone can give some insight as to what is going on with the continuous healthy scratches of Austin Watson?
He has been a relatively effective bottom line player over the past several years and has added a dimension to the Preds line-up that is hard to come by. What is different about his play (or lack thereof) that is landing him in the press box more times than not? Is it the new coach? Has his play dropped off compared to recent seasons?
Thanks!

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I'm curious if anyone can give some insight as to what is going on with the continuous healthy scratches of Austin Watson?
He has been a relatively effective bottom line player over the past several years and has added a dimension to the Preds line-up that is hard to come by. What is different about his play (or lack thereof) that is landing him in the press box more times than not? Is it the new coach? Has his play dropped off compared to recent seasons?
Thanks!

He's been one of our worst forwards this year, which is saying something. He's like a goon that doesn't know how to effectively goon and just ends up being a liability.

Reactions: Montross

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
He's been one of our worst forwards this year, which is saying something. He's like a goon that doesn't know how to effectively goon and just ends up being a liability.
No one is having a great year all around. (Even Josi and Ellis could be criticized for some defensive breakdowns at times.)

Watson had a very well defined role on the team under Lavi as a defensive forward and never had great numbers. He played on the checking line with hustle and high motor. He was one of the top four PK forwards and blocked a lot of shots throwing his body in the way. And he'd chip in a SH goal or score off a turnover every once in a while. He was also the only guy that came close to being any sort of enforcer on the team for a long time.

It seems his style of play and/or role hasn't translated to the new coach's systems.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

Outside of fighting Blackwell is playing the role that Watson used to fill too so it's not like Watson brings anything unique anymore. Blackwell lays big hits and forechecks like a madman while occasionally chipping in offensively, which used to be the hallmark of Watson's play but that seems to have completely disappeared this season.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
No one is having a great year all around. (Even Josi and Ellis could be criticized for some defensive breakdowns at times.)

Watson had a very well defined role on the team under Lavi as a defensive forward and never had great numbers. He played on the checking line with hustle and high motor. He was one of the top four PK forwards and blocked a lot of shots throwing his body in the way. And he'd chip in a SH goal or score off a turnover every once in a while. He was also the only guy that came close to being any sort of enforcer on the team for a long time.

It seems his style of play and/or role hasn't translated to the new coach's systems.

Yeah, he had some timely scoring in the past, but it really wasn't there this year. I just don't really see a role for him currently. I think he is being outplayed by Blackwell and Trenin. I would be fine with waiving him.

Reactions: Montross

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013

I was thinking about this morning how basically all of our highly-paid elite forwards as a group are extremely underwhelming. It is amazing really. I mean it is not shocking when a player has a down season; it happens all the time. But virtually all of your top tier guys? Crazy.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Thanks!
Got too comfortable and has been outperformed in the "energy guy" role by Rocco and Blackwell. Sissons is a similar player who seems to have gotten similarly complacent but is a little bit better in most areas of the game.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I don't really have an issue with Sissons like some have. He's been generally good when not on a line with Watson this season and prior to his injury was more or less the same player he has always been. It's taken him a while to get back into form after that injury, but he's looked pretty good since getting put on the line with Blackwell and Johansen. His contract isn't great for his role right now, but I think it'll be nice to have him locked up as the 3C once we move on from Bonino.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don't really have an issue with Sissons like some have. He's been generally good when not on a line with Watson this season and prior to his injury was more or less the same player he has always been. It's taken him a while to get back into form after that injury, but he's looked pretty good since getting put on the line with Blackwell and Johansen. His contract isn't great for his role right now, but I think it'll be nice to have him locked up as the 3C once we move on from Bonino.
He's fine overall, I just don't see the benefit in signing these types of guys to 5-7 year deals (ditto with Jarnkrok--who has been pretty good this season). We're blocking the progression of players like Trenin, Blackwell, Pitlick, etc... due to lack of roster spots and it is only natural that the hunger of the established guys is going to wane a bit with long-term security. I like Poile's contract strategy with Rocco much more in comparison.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
He's fine overall, I just don't see the benefit in signing these types of guys to 5-7 year deals (ditto with Jarnkrok--who has been pretty good this season). We're blocking the progression of players like Trenin, Blackwell, Pitlick, etc... due to lack of roster spots and it is only natural that the hunger of the established guys is going to wane a bit with long-term security. I like Poile's contract strategy with Rocco much more in comparison.

That's where i'm at. I love these guys, but in those roles you need to keep cycling through the next man up to keep costs under control and keep the room fresh and hungry.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

Trenin is really the only one in Milwuakee that may be having his development blocked a little bit by our bottom six guys, but even then I'm not sure that his development has really been all that stunted. Injuries are more responsible for his late emergence more than anything else. Blackwell is almost 27 (he's actually older than Sissons) so he's not really a prospect but more of a role player that finally managed to make it over the hump so it's not like his development has been held back by lack of opportunity. Pitlick maybe could have used the opportunity to get a few games this year, but I think staying in the AHL most of this season is probably the best path for his development. I imagine if our front office though he was ready he would have gotten a look over Olivier earlier in the season.

Looking at the Milwaukee roster I don't see a whole lot of guys that I'm really worried that are wasting away in the minors because of a lack of opportunity at the NHL level. It says something to me that guys who have bounced around the AHL like Grimaldi and Blackwell are the ones getting opportunities over them. Then again I guess that could seem that way just because most of those guys haven't got a shot in the NHL yet.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I'm just tired of going to the arena and losing. It makes it even worse. It does suck to sit on the couch and watch a loss, which hopefully doesn't happen tonight, but knowing I paid money and time to see the shit show in person just adds to the misery.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I'm just tired of going to the arena and losing. It makes it even worse. It does suck to sit on the couch and watch a loss, which hopefully doesn't happen tonight, but knowing I paid money and time to see the shit show in person just adds to the misery.

Considering how brutal we've been at home for months now, the Bridgestone crowd has had an impressive level of resilience. Big chants and enthusiasm the last couple of games.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Amen to that- it has been nothing but misery in Bridgestone this year. Being so far away, we can't make every game, but I really feel for those who have had to sit through every one of the horrible losses we have had.

I just checked what our record is when we go to games (6 hour round trip for every one of them)-

Last 18 games we have attended, our record is 4-14.

I can't even wrap my head around that. 4-14!!! Even 9-9 would be a bad record for a team playing at home...…….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad