Observations XXVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Should a moderator become involved and direct this thread to true Observations, X's and O's ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I don’t know what is wrong with Forsberg. He simply is not the same player he once was. Seems to be one of those on the threshold of stardom who peaked early and fell back rather than broke through. He appears to be mentally messed up right now. He needs some success to get right and the only way to achieve that is to work.

Reactions: SouthNash

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Forsberg just needs to forget about carrying the puck, he should be a finisher. I always thought Forsberg - Johansen - Granlund would work because Joey and Granny have always been playmakers, with the defense that Preds have, they ought to be able to work the puck around and down low while Forsberg floats around looking for an open spot a la Ovechkin, Stamkos, Hull.
Id love to see this develop. I think youre on the money there!

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
He attracts a crowd on his entries because the teams know what many of us have seemingly forgotten-he is our primary elite scoring threat on this team. Nobody is close. And thats a shame.

would be nice to exploit this by having plays based on his passing the puck instead of driving it to scoring position

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
would be nice to exploit this by having plays based on his passing the puck instead of driving it to scoring position
Absolutely can't argue with that point. And I'm not trying to say he's blameless...but his flash and sizzle is what we need more of, not less.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He goes through this every season. Whenever he is playing well he is using his teammates and getting himself into position to score. When he starts struggling it's because he is trying to do it all himself and just turning the puck over. Go back and look at the old Observation threads and you will find time and time again where 303 and myself have pointed it out.

It happened when Trotz was here, the entire time Lavi was here and now with Hynes. It's not coaching, it's just a flaw in his game that happens every single year. It's why he's a 25-30g scorer rather than a 50-60g scorer.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Needless to say, biggest game of the year tonight. Win and we are tied for the WC1 slot with 2 games in hand. Lose and we are 4 points out of WC1.

Question is- can we break the Calgary curse at Bridgestone?? They are one of those teams that we inexplicably cannot beat at home.

Over the last 6 years, we have ONE win against them at Bridgestone. 1-8 record. What makes it all the more strange is we play just fine in Calgary- won their earlier this year and are 5-3 last 6 years there.

Just makes zero sense, considering the Preds have been the better team for almost that entire span.

On a side note- Flames are one of 3 teams that just completely own the Preds at home, and none of it makes one bit of sense.

Calgary, Detroit, and Carolina- in the past 6 years we are 3-18 against those 3 teams. (And 1-14 the last 4 years). 1-14?????????

And again, the Preds were the better team going in in almost every single one of those matchups.

Will be interesting to see what happens tonight…

Reactions: SouthNash

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I have dispised Calgary since Ignlia beat down Greg Johnson many moons ago. Hoping for a win.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Granlund now tied for 2nd in scoring for the team with 17 and at this pace he's gonna take the lead by the end of the year.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Granlund is playing so much better. He is having all of the positive regression at once.

putting skilled players in a position to succeed is important....

Ellis being back is obviously huge.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
FF9 had a terrific game tonight....Lightyears better than the prior couple.

Granlund is just cashing checks now. Every game improves his next deal. Good for him. He also sounds like some quirky minor alien character from a Star Wars movie in his interviews.

Reactions: Kat Predator

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
[MOD]

i see very little to make me think this team has any chance of postseason success. if they get there.

Last edited by a moderator:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
good for you.

i see very little to make me think this team has any chance of postseason success. if they get there.

The playoffs come down to health, match up, and being in the right point in that inevitable series of peaks and valleys during a season. We don't look like a team that could go on a 16 game post season run nor do we look like a team that gets swept away in 4 blowout losses. This team is competitive right now and winning the games it needs to over the past couple of weeks.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i think it's time to get some familiarity with the lines and try to stick with them.

we know grimaldi bonino smith is a solid line.

I'd like to see trenin called up and put on the 4th line with blackwell. i really think you could put those 2 with any of sissons jarnkrok Watson and have an effective line.

not even gonna try to label the lines 1-4.. the top 6 is where it gets tricky with 3 centers. i think i would go forsberg duchene granlund & turris johansen arvidsson. if that doesn't click, maybe duchene johansen granlund .. forsberg turris arvidsson?

the top 6 just has no chemistry because i just think it doesn't fit with 3 "top 6" centers...

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
i think it's time to get some familiarity with the lines and try to stick with them.

we know grimaldi bonino smith is a solid line.

I'd like to see trenin called up and put on the 4th line with blackwell. i really think you could put those 2 with any of sissons jarnkrok Watson and have an effective line.

not even gonna try to label the lines 1-4.. the top 6 is where it gets tricky with 3 centers. i think i would go forsberg duchene granlund & turris johansen arvidsson. if that doesn't click, maybe duchene johansen granlund .. forsberg turris arvidsson?

the top 6 just has no chemistry because i just think it doesn't fit with 3 "top 6" centers...

The FAT Line?

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I really hope this game gave the guys a psychological boost. Keep working and success is a realistic outcome. I know that when I'm dealing with an extended period of difficulties that it seems like that is locked in and will always be that way. But that has never been the case.

Seems like several players had a good night. Jusse was just fine and got back in the game after what could have been a disastrous beginning to the second. Filip seemed to be having skate trouble since he fell so many times, then fell on purpose making a great defensive play to stop a definite scoring chance late. He made several good defensive plays. Granlund, gotta give him confidence scoring 6 on 5 to tie the game and then scoring 3 on 3, though not exactly special teams certainly not 5 - 5. Joey and Duchene were great at the dot. 69% for Joey and 60% for Matt. Even Calle won both of his fo's. Hell, Josi scored again matching his career regular season best after a two month goal drought. Ellis with 3 assists! 15 different Preds got a shot on goal. Tough physical game and we only got 1 penalty, and it was a matching so never had to PK all game.

A blow out sure would have been fun against Calgary but that type of game was probably better overall for the guys going forward. 2 or 3 games in hand over the teams we need to beat is a good place to be. A few short weeks ago it didn't seem possible to even have a realistic run for the PO's.

It's a good morning to be a Preds fan!

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Of all the days to post this?
well the eye test says the flames were the better team by a considerable margin. it was the best game of the season for the dramatics and the outcome. but it changed nothing about the outlook for this teams playoffs chances. theres still 20 games or so to go around the league. a lot can change but i am just calling it like i see it.

and i didn't post that out of nowhere. there was a post i guess a mod felt needed to be taken care of which drew that response. it was a great win.

Reactions: triggrman

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
It's one thing to project points rates with games in hand out to a playoff spot when you're sitting in 10th or 11th in the Conference and chasing. It's another to actually be sitting in a playoff spot with those same games in hand. The team's recent run of wins - even with some sketchy gameplay at times - has them sitting in the latter category. I think that's significant. And the playoff odds have been steadily rising again, from those who do the monte carlos and projections. I think we're up to around 60% on most projections. That's significant. It was only a few weeks ago we had dipped below 40%...

Nashville Predators Chance Will Make Playoffs - Sports Club Stats

And last night's game against a direct rival for one of those spots contributed a +5.8% swing, see the Big Games bars near the top here:

Nashville Predators Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad