Obscure hockey facts/stats (Part 2)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I stumbled upon this obscure stat while looking up something else:

Between 1987 and 1998, a span of 12 seasons, the player with the most overtime goals was Bob Sweeney.

Not Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic, Jagr, Hull, Robitaille - Bob Sweeney, a bottom six utility forward, who peaked at 22 goals. During that period, he scored 125 goals in 639 games (tied for 171th - and behind luminaries like Greg Paslawski, Bob Kudelski, Sergio Momesso, Wayne Presley, and Bob Probert).

One interesting(?) observation - all but one of Sweeney's OT goals were in the months of October and November. I'd guess that Sweeney got fewer opportunities in OT as the games became more important.

Last edited:

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Players acquired by the New York Rangers who previously in their career had scored 50 goals in a season with another franchise:

Bernie Geoffrion
Phil Esposito
Ken Hodge
Pierre Larouche
Blaine Stoughton
Bobby Carpenter
Marcel Dionne
John Ogrodnick
Guy Lafleur
Bernie Nicholls
Mike Gartner
Tim Kerr
Mark Messier
Glenn Anderson
Luc Robitaille
Jari Kurri
Wayne Gretzky
Pat LaFontaine
Kevin Stevens
Theo Fleury
Pavel Bure
Jaromir Jagr
Brendan Shanahan

Players who scored 50 goals in a season with the Rangers:

Vic Hadfield
Adam Graves
Jaromir Jagr
Chris Kreider
I've always considered the Rangers to be a retirement community for NHL stars. It seems they always manage to land big name guys after they've lost their luster. Makes sense though, if I'd made millions, accomplished a lot in the league, and wanted a fun place to live with good business opportunities, I'd choose Broadway too.

Reactions: Voight

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Zach Hyman scored in games 5 and 6 of the Stanley Cup finals. I wondered if he was the first Jewish player in NHL history to score a goal in the finals.

The only other example I could find is defenseman Mathieu Schneider (who scored in Montreal's game 3 victory over LA in 1993). Are there any other examples?

New Jersey Devil

Sep 30, 2013
New Jersey
This year's Stanley Cup Final is the first Final since 1970 (and the first in 4 instances) that a team that returns to the Stanley Cup Final a year after they LOST in the Stanley Cup Final DIDN'T play the same team that they lost to the year before.

The last 3 instances:

2008 - Pittsburgh lost to Detroit
2009 - Pittsburgh played against Detroit (Pittsburgh won)

1983 - Edmonton lost to NY Islanders
1984 - Edmonton played against NY Islanders (Edmonton won)

1977 - Boston lost to Montreal
1978 - Boston played against Montreal (Montreal won)

The last time that there was no rematch in the Stanley Cup Final for the team returning to the Final the year after they lost:

1969 (&1968): St. Louis lost to Montreal
1970: St. Louis played against Boston (Boston won)

Boston Bruins was the last team to lose in the Stanley Cup Final in consecutive years (1977 & 1978).

Mohar Ikram

Dec 27, 2021
Muadzam Shah, Pahang, Malaysia
Since the introduction of NHL Amateur/Entry Drafts, Only three teams that has won a championship with top 2 picks of a certain draft classes. All 3 championships won by same club - Montreal Canadiens.

1971, 1973 SC: Rejean Houle (1st pick) and Marc Tardiff (2nd pick) of 1969 draft classes.
1986 SC: Bobby Smith (1st pick) and Ryan Walter (2nd pick) of 1978 draft classes

Further interesting facts about those guys:

- Both Bobby Smith and Ryan Walter are not picked by The Canadiens and only join the team via trades. They were picked by Minnesota North Stars and Washington Capitals respectively.
- Both Rejean Houle and Marc Tardiff leave Canadiens on the same off season (1973/74 offseason) to the WHA. Both were playing for Quebec Nordiques in WHA at one point of time. Unlike Marc, Rejean back to the Canadiens and won the later 3 cups of 4 in the back 70's for Canadiens. Marc stays with team until the Nordiques also plays in NHL.
- None of those 4 players are in the hall.
- For comparisons, this occurrence happened 4 times in NBA but in each of them, one of them being a draft pick of the said team. This is not a case in NHL as being said in 1986.

Personal Thoughts:

- Bobby Smith shall be a HOF.
- North Stars absolutely wasting Smith's career (also Broten's and Modano's). Goes to the final in both 81 and 91 which ended up losing terribly against NYI and PIT.

Updated now! Panthers became the fourth team (2nd unique team) to won the SCF in 2024 with Aaron Ekblad (1st pick) and Sam Reinhart (2nd pick) of the 2014 drafts!

Bonus: Sam Bennett (4th pick) also won with the same Panthers team too and to get there, one of the players they have to beat is Leon Draisaitl (3rd pick) of Edmonton Oilers in the same draft class!

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Bonus: Sam Bennett (4th pick) also won with the same Panthers team too and to get there, one of the players they have to beat is Leon Draisaitl (3rd pick) of Edmonton Oilers in the same draft class!
I wonder if there has been a finals where the top-5 of certain draft are all playing?

Also, there were 8 players drafted in 2014 playing in the finals this year. What is the record for a single draft year for number of players in the finals?

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
Zach Hyman scored in games 5 and 6 of the Stanley Cup finals. I wondered if he was the first Jewish player in NHL history to score a goal in the finals.

The only other example I could find is defenseman Mathieu Schneider (who scored in Montreal's game 3 victory over LA in 1993). Are there any other examples?
Ron Stern?

Jocke1

Mar 31, 2022
I spent some time looking at what the all-time NHL season record is for most match penalties by a player, and was surprised to see Donald Audette sharing the record with Jimmy Orlando and Billy Coutu.

They all had three match penalties in a season.

Coutu got his three in 1920-21, twenty years later Orlando got three in 1941-42 and sixty years after that Audette got three in 2000-01 playing for the Atlanta Thrashers.

I live for stuff like this, I go into hockey stats rabbit holes almost every day and naturally had to go a bit deeper to see what the heck Audette did and why him of all people got so many match penalties (he was a point-per-game player that season, scoring 79 points in 76 games).

All three of his match penalties were "attempt to injure" and they all came within a span of 70 days (match #1 on Jan 1st, match #2 on Jan 12th and match #3 on Mar 11th).

The first match penalty came on January 1st against the Capitals and Audette had managed 20 points in his last 13 games.
It was nearing the half-way point of the season and he was at that time Top 10 in the league on total points (tied for 5th).

His line with Brunette and Ferraro were among the most productive in the league and Atlanta were among the hottest December teams.
With 2:56 remaining in the third period Audette drew a match penalty for attempt to injure (high stick on Sergei Gonchar) and received 10 minutes. 42 seconds later Washington scored on the power play (Zednik). Washington won the game 4-2.

The Atlanta Constitution paper speculated that Audette would not draw a suspension. Audette was quoted saying "I've taken a lot harder hits to the head than that one. It was unintentional."

So on to the second match penalty on January 12th against Montreal.

Almost a repeat of the Washington game, with 1:24 remaining in the third period Audette drew a match penalty for attempt to injure (cross-check from behind on Eric Landry) and received 10 minutes. Montreal did not score on the power play, but still won the game 3-0.

Four days later it was announced that Audette had been handed a four-game suspension.
He would forfeit $42,780.75 in lost salary.
He was leading the Thrashers in scoring with 53 points at this time.

I couldn't find a quote by Audette.

The Thrashers had eight injured players around this time and on his first game back from the suspension Audette had 1 goal and 1 assist against Nashville on January 23rd.

And so for the third and final match penalty, which he drew on March 11th against Calgary.
Audette had now dropped from 5th place (tied) in the league in points back in early January, down to 12th place (tied).

With 17:04 remaining in the third period Audette drew a match penalty for attempt to injure (cross-check to the head of Robert Petrovicky) and received 10 minutes.
Calgary did not score. The game ended in a 3-3 OT tie.

Petrovicky was quoted saying "he only caught me in the face with his glove, but he could have hit me in the melon. It was a stupid thing to do."

The following day on March 12th it was announced that Audette had been suspended again, he was considered a repeat offender and was handed a two-game suspension. He would forfeit $48,780.49 in lost salary.

With his third match penalty (tying the NHL all-time record for a single season) and his second suspension of the season, Audette was quoted:

"if I need to give a donation to someone, I would rather give it to someone who I think deserves it.
I didn't think the hit was worth anything. If a guy comes at me, what should I do from now on?
Let him punch me? Petrovicky wasn't coming at me to ask me out for a bite to eat after the game.
I wonder if the league is going to look at tapes of all the punches they throw at my head?"

It was being speculated that the game against Calgary would be Audette's last as a Thrasher, and it turned out to be true.
Audette had remained without a contract around this time and his agent hadn't talked to Atlanta in three weeks. Audette wanted to increase his salary from 2 million to 3.1 and trade rumors continued to appear around Audette.

The following day after his suspension had been announced, it was made public on March 13th that Audette had been traded to the Buffalo Sabres, where he would finish the season playing 12 games as a Sabre, scoring two goals and 6 assists. He also played 13 playoff games as a Sabre and scored three goals with 6 assists.

There were apparently several unhappy Atlanta players and many unhappy fans following the trade, with some airing complaints on bulletin boards, threatening to cancel season tickets.

GM Don Waddell said he had plans to meet with several hundred season ticket holders over the next few days.

Audette did not stay with Buffalo for long, as he became an unrestricted free agent and played for Montreal, Dallas and Florida over the next three seasons, but he did get his wish as he earned 9 million during these three years before he retired.

Audette is currently an amateur scout for the Montreal Canadiens, a position he's held since 2012.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Ed Litzenberger certainly knew something about team success. With the Regina Pats, he went to the Memorial Cup twice in three seasons. Beginning in 1960-61 - with the Chicago Black Hawks - he got in to the habit of hoisting the Stanley Cup. In 1961-62 - after 32 games with the Detroit Red Wings - he joined the Toronto Maple Leafs. Litzenberger hoisted the Cup with them that season, and in 1962-63 and again in 1963-64. With the Rochester Americans in 1964-65 and 1965-66, he hoisted the Calder Cup.

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010
1719829474421.png

Judging by Hart voting, Howe had his real peak in the end of the 50s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad