Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Igor Shesterkin signs extension with Rangers (4 years, $5.666M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Or as goalies do he will regress and then they can move on, where as you sign him long term and he regresses and your stuck with an overpriced goalie.

You don't sign goalies long term in the NHL any more, they are simply too hit and miss.

This is a complete myth. The best goalies are consistent and absolutely worth the money they get. It’s lazy to not recognize the difference.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
You know how else had a great career in the KHL? Mikko Koskinen. Success in the KHL doesn’t not guarantee success in the NHL
unlike Koskinen, Shesterkin has played well since he arrived in North America. He dominated his stint in the AHL and tore it up before the car accident. He also had a pretty nice season last year considering all the injuries/bull shit that went on.
Koskinen is not a good comparison for Shesterkin. Shesterkin is much much better.
Keep drinking that Hater-ade though

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
League is littered with goalies who were awesome in a small sample then came back to earth.

Can you point me to one season in his hockey career where he’s been any worse than above average?

I’ve linked his EP page and you have 9 seasons to choose from. You wanted a big sample and got one.

Igor Shestyorkin at eliteprospects.com

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Can you point me to one season in his hockey career where he’s been any worse than above average?

I’ve linked his EP page and you have 9 seasons to choose from. You wanted a big sample and got one.

Igor Shestyorkin at eliteprospects.com
I have learned through extensive experience to throw out anything a player did outside the NHL. That said, I never stated he won't be good. I just stated the fact that many have flashed early and returned to earth. He is not necessarily going to be one of them. But if he is, it wouldn't be unprecedented at all.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m just curious as to what he’s done so far to warrant almost 6 mil?

His bestie on LI out performed him stats wise this year. Hopefully Sorokin doesn’t think he’s worth 5.5+ mil

Congrats on his whole .002 better SV%. Besides, Shestyorkin's SV% was tanked by the Rangers giving up the last few weeks of the season and icing Libor Hajek on the top pair. He was in the .920-.925 range, and unfairly got his stats hurt by the team at the very end of the season. Meanwhile, Sorokin played a lot less games. He was the back up on his own team. He was .011 worse than his battery mate, while Shestyorkin was .013 better than his battery mate. The Islanders had a much better defense.

Dont get my wrong, he’s definitely got talent, but he’s played 50 games in the NHL. I feel like he’s being paid based on potential and whatever he did in the KHL, which has been proven time and time again doesn’t always translate….see Mikko Koskinen

You know how else had a great career in the KHL? Mikko Koskinen. Success in the KHL doesn’t not guarantee success in the NHL

Are you aware of the error you are making?

Shestyorkin and Koskinen were battery mates for two years at SKA. Shestyorkin had a .007 better SV%.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

hockeyisles

Jul 29, 2021
Only Islanders fans think this. There is no statistical proof for this being true. Why are you here to talk about a player that the thread isn’t about?
no you are only ranger fans deny lt. Scouting reports do exist you know. And all of them indicate the same including the Rangers own. Ask Goldie Clark.

• Haha
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I’m just curious as to what he’s done so far to warrant almost 6 mil? His bestie on LI out performed him stats wise this year. Hopefully Sorokin doesn’t think he’s worth 5.5+ mil

Team sports dude. Better team, much better coach, much better system.

Dont get my wrong, he’s definitely got talent, but he’s played 50 games in the NHL. I feel like he’s being paid based on potential and whatever he did in the KHL, which has been proven time and time again doesn’t always translate….see Mikko Koskinen

Koskinen is a bad comparison. He played 4 games and then didn’t play in the NHL for 7 years, coming back at 30 years old to a team that still hasn’t properly addressed their defense. He’s meh at best, but the defense in front of him has been and still is sub par.

Demko is the comparable and set the bar here.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

mratch19

Jul 27, 2010
Vancouver
After the Demko signing I figured he'd get something similar - figured 5 - 5.5 but this is close enough. I have no idea why anyone would be upset over this, lol. With some of the contracts handed out this offseason, 5.66 at 4 years is being questioned regarding a potential Vezina talent goalie? If after 4 years he hasn't lived up to it, great it was only 4 years, otherwise if he does.... then, as KGB says in Rounders: 'Pay that man his money".

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
First I couldn‘t get it.
Too much, too short, UFA at 29

But this is New York. If he fails, okay, he‘s gone.
If he works out, he can be signed long-term.
If he asks for too much, they let him walk, because New York has no problems attracting free agents.
There are maybe 3-5 others who can really compete with the Rangers for free agents.

Still, I think it is too much, nevertheless.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's an elite goalie right now, so I'm fine locking him up for a bit.

That being said, this is about the max I would give any goalie, so I hope we walk in 4 years time.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
upload_2021-8-10_7-34-10.png

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
It seems to me that Shesterkin wanted to get paid and not give up any free agency years. I can live with this deal. Too many people get hung up on what might happen 5 or 6 years down the road. Worry about the next 4. I would like to see him start 60 games a season without being injured too. 4 years is a perfect term for both parties.
I think this comment is right to me.
Think 5 made the perfect sense and 6 could be long for him. 4 is the second best number.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I think this comment is right to me.
Think 5 made the perfect sense and 6 could be long for him. 4 is the second best number.
Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.

Reactions: barry allen

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
$5.666M is enough for a goaltender with only 47 games under his belt. In his first full season he played 35 games and was a .916. He was good, not great, and had some ups and downs.

I think the AAV is more than generous seeing what some much more established goalies are getting right now. Will he be worth more than that 4-years from now? Probably, but at that point in time you need to move on from him. Goalies aren't worth $8-10M cap hits. As you have seen, goalies like Lundqvist and Price can only carry a bad team so far.

I wouldn't want to invest much more than $6.5 million on a goalie in today's NHL.

I would have liked to have seen $6.5M at a term like 6-years, but Drury dropped the ball a bit there [continuing his excellent off season]. I would have upped the AAV just a bit to try and get him another few years.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
$5.666M is enough for a goaltender with only 47 games under his belt. In his first full season he played 35 games and was a .916. He was good, not great, and had some ups and downs.

I think the AAV is more than generous seeing what some much more established goalies are getting right now. Will he be worth more than that 4-years from now? Probably, but at that point in time you need to move on from him. Goalies aren't worth $8-10M cap hits. As you have seen, goalies like Lundqvist and Price can only carry a bad team so far.

I wouldn't want to invest much more than $6.5 million on a goalie in today's NHL.

I would have liked to have seen $6.5M at a term like 6-years, but Drury dropped the ball a bit there [continuing his excellent off season]. I would have upped the AAV just a bit to try and get him another few years.

Dundon agrees.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I’m just curious as to what he’s done so far to warrant almost 6 mil? His bestie on LI out performed him stats wise this year. Hopefully Sorokin doesn’t think he’s worth 5.5+ mil

Thats the thing about these 5m-8m long term contracts coming of ELCs with top prospects (who aren’t proven superstars). They are almost always educated gambles, and they turn out to be right a lot of the time.

With the Rangers’ cap situation ahead, they need to take some longer term gambles.

I would have preferred 6-8 years.

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
Isn't it possible the player did not want a 6 year contract? He is a very confident kid, maybe he is hedging his bets that team plays better in front of him so shots go down and his numbers go up. With that the salary cap increases and he can make 9 or 10 million instead of 6.5

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Isn't it possible the player did not want a 6 year contract? He is a very confident kid, maybe he is hedging his bets that team plays better in front of him so shots go down and his numbers go up. With that the salary cap increases and he can make 9 or 10 million instead of 6.5

Again, at that point in time, if he wants 9 or 10, you need to move on from him.

Goalies aren't worth that much. Vasilevsky might be the only goalie in the NHL today I'd feel comfortable paying $9M to.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
AAV seems a bit high for a goalie who hasn't played 50 NHL career games or played in over 39 games any pro season.

But, its not like the Rangera had a choice here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad