Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Igor Shesterkin signs extension with Rangers (4 years, $5.666M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Seems like a good deal. Hopefully Lou locks in Sorokin for a year or two and then gives him a Shesterkin-like contract.

Those two good friends battling against each other for the next half-decade will be a treat for NY hockey fans.

Reactions: COHawk

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
He said "good for NYR to get out at 36-37". Obviously making the assumption that we'll re-sign him once this one is done. You're just arguing for no reason.
He could go to any team at 29 for any duration. He’s not signed with the Rangers beyond four seasons. How can you assume that I assume an assumption is irrefutable fact?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Considering the other deals today this doesn’t look great. Now I’m really curious to see where Sorokin comes in.
Much less. He doesn't have much of a leg to stand on being that he still has not taken the starting position. Regardless of how he's played, I see a 2 year deal happening here where he's gaining some more games this year before taking the starting role the following season - which he'll then cash in after that. Also, NYR are pretty much up against the wall here and Igor knows it. What are they going to do? Replace him from within? We've been waiting on him for a long time.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
It seems to me that Shesterkin wanted to get paid and not give up any free agency years. I can live with this deal. Too many people get hung up on what might happen 5 or 6 years down the road. Worry about the next 4. I would like to see him start 60 games a season without being injured too. 4 years is a perfect term for both parties.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
IDK, the contract seems fine to me? Shesterkin wasn't going to extend more than that for a few million, and long term goaltender contracts are scary.

Yeah, I"m with you. From the outside looking in obviously but seems like a win-win for both team and player. It also allows everyone to take the temperature of the market 4 years from now when the cap should be more pliable.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
That deal will look really good in a year or two.

Might not look so good in 4 years, though.
No offense but that makes no sense.

If you think he's that good then this deal will only get better with age. Although goalies can be a crapshoot, there's no reason to think that the first years of this deal will be better than the last ones.

Take a side. Any side.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
cap going up each year next 4 years though so maybe it's okay

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
No offense but that makes no sense.

If you think he's that good then this deal will only get better with age. Although goalies can be a crapshoot, there's no reason to think that the first years of this deal will be better than the last ones.

Take a side. Any side.

He’ll be 29 by the time the deal ends. It’ll be fine.

The concern about what he could get on his next deal if he plays well is a very legitimate one though.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Small sample size but I don’t know if there’s any other young goalie I’d take over him at the current time. He was unreal

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
He’ll be 29 by the time the deal ends. It’ll be fine.

The concern about what he could get on his next deal if he plays well is a very legitimate one though.
Or he could be nothing special the next 4 years and not command huge money afterward.

Reactions: Devonator

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Honestly re-signing Shesterkin was going to be a gamble either way. I think this is kinda on the high end at the moment but ultimately fair given Shesterkin's upside but limited NHL history. If he's truly elite by the end of the contract NYR will have no trouble paying him as long as they're not in cap hell.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Did anyone stop and think that maybe Shesterkin is the one who wants the 4 year deal? Why would you go long woth the flat cap? Bet on yourself, outperform this deal, and get the 8x10+ when it's contract time again. Meanwhile NYR have to hope one of their G prospects come through so they don't get stuck up at the contract table of its not in their interest.

Reactions: One Winged Angel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad