Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Igor Shesterkin signs extension with Rangers (4 years, $5.666M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
I trust that the organization that has the premier goalie whisperer that got to work with Hank for 14 years and spit out reclamation projects into not only dependable back ups but turned them into starting goalies elsewhere can evaluate Igor and determine if he has the goods or not.

The likelihood of him living up to his contract shouldn't be the crux of debate. Its whether or not it will cost significantly more (Hank or Price) AAV if he DOES live up to expectations for contract #3.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
The best team in the NHL has won two Cups in a row with the best goalie in the league. That goalie won the Conn Smythe this past season.
And perhaps the second best team, who lost to them twice, has the best defense in the league led by a castaway goalie who puts up Vezina caliber numbers, previously led by another castaway goalie who became a Vezina finalist, and that team has had consecutive backups put up those same numbers.

Goalies are certainly important. But there's plenty of good ones to go around, especially when matched with good coaching.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
And perhaps the second best team, who lost to them twice, has the best defense in the league led by a castaway goalie who puts up vezina caliber numbers, and has had consecutive backups put up those same numbers.

Goalies are certainly important. But there's plenty of good ones to go around, especially when matched with good coaching.

It’s well established that Trotz can make average goalies and teams without supreme talent into juggernauts at keeping the puck out of the net. I’m not sure that’s relevant though to this discussion.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
It’s well established that Trotz can make average goalies and teams without supreme talent into juggernauts at keeping the puck out of the net. I’m not sure that’s relevant though to this discussion.
It is, in the sense that it's not just Trotz but Korn and Grieco. Great goalie coaches, like the Rangers also have, can turn good into excellent. As good as Shesterkin is, others could be just as good there. And have been.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It is, in the sense that it's not just Trotz but Korn and Grieco. Great goalie coaches, like the Rangers also have, can turn good into excellent. As good as Shesterkin is, others could be just as good there. And have been.

No, thats not true.

Don't give goalie coaches and head coaches too much credit. There are a pool of goalies that range between good AHL goalies, to some range of back up level goalies, to low/mid-end starters. The head coaches, systems, defenses, goalie coaches make the difference for players in that range. Those are the players who this goalies are voodoo narrative might apply to.

If you look at the guys that end up winning the Vezina. Go back about 10 years. In the last 10 years, none of those guys are system goalies that a goalie coach made magic out of. Those guys are all Hall of Famers, close to Hall of Famers, or players who were starters pretty much their whole career and in their prime were among the best in the league. Those guys accomplished what they did mostly due to their talent. And thats 9 players, so while it's true that goalies often don't pile up the career awards that skaters due, it's not that the best ones are inconsistent or voodoo or any of these stupid narratives that aren't based on reality.

The nature of the position means that goalies have shorter primes. They start in the NHL later, they are more susceptible to the types of injuries that would strip them of their talent, and they are easier to acquire. But this stuff is already accounted for in these discussions. There is not a suggestion to pay them until they are 39. It's accounted for that these guys usually have a shorter window than skaters. And their shorter window doesn't mean that there's no distinguishable difference between the 3rd best goalie in the league and the 33rd. The best goalies in the league absolutely are worth the contracts they get, and they contribute as much to success as skaters.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I’m just curious as to what he’s done so far to warrant almost 6 mil? His bestie on LI out performed him stats wise this year. Hopefully Sorokin doesn’t think he’s worth 5.5+ mil

Dont get my wrong, he’s definitely got talent, but he’s played 50 games in the NHL. I feel like he’s being paid based on potential and whatever he did in the KHL, which has been proven time and time again doesn’t always translate….see Mikko Koskinen
Not taking anything away from Sorokin but he basically played against Buffalo, Philly and NJD. Rangers also had a terrible finish to the season where if you're blaming the goalie for those losses, you weren't paying attention to how poor they played while getting embarrassed by the other team.

Also - what is the point is trying to figure out who played better or who is the better goalie? Sorokin was the backup. You'll probably see a bridge deal for a very fair contract with Sorokin paid the 1st year after fully taking the starting role.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Not taking anything away from Sorokin but he basically played against Buffalo, Philly and NJD. Rangers also had a terrible finish to the season where if you're blaming the goalie for those losses, you weren't paying attention to how poor they played while getting embarrassed by the other team.

Also - what is the point is trying to figure out who played better or who is the better goalie? Sorokin was the backup. You'll probably see a bridge deal for a very fair contract with Sorokin paid the 1st year after fully taking the starting role.
The whole division basically played against Buffalo, Philly, and NJD.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Can very well be a top 5 goalie next season and going forward.So in one year this contract going to probably look very good and the Rangers are going to be very happy to wait 3 whole years before paying real big money.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
And Washington, and Boston, and Pittsburgh, and Rangers. The division had 8 teams.
You are forgetting the playoffs -- remember them? -- when he won the first round series against the Pens while Varley was injured. Arguably, to this point he has accomplished more, especially when you consider that unlike most goalies from Europe, he didn't get time in the AHL to learn the angles on the smaller rinks.

Anyway, they are both good to great goalies, and seeing them battle to be better than one another should be fun in the coming seasons.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You are forgetting the playoffs -- remember them? -- when he won the first round series against the Pens while Varley was injured. Arguably, to this point he has accomplished more, especially when you consider that unlike most goalies from Europe, he didn't get time in the AHL to learn the angles on the smaller rinks.

Anyway, they are both good to great goalies, and seeing them battle to be better than one another should be fun in the coming seasons.
I'm not forgetting the playoffs. Nor am I taking anything away from Sorokin. The original post was comparing them. Shesterkin didn't play in the playoffs - so unless we're making up numbers for him the playoffs shouldn't really count when comparing them in their regular season stats. I think Sorokin will be great for Islanders. But if we're going to compare who out played who during the season (and we really shouldn't) - Shesterkin definitely had the harder season.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I'm not forgetting the playoffs. Nor am I taking anything away from Sorokin. The original post was comparing them. Shesterkin didn't play in the playoffs - so unless we're making up numbers for him the playoffs shouldn't really count when comparing them in their regular season stats.
technically speaking Shesty did play and lost his only NHL playoff game

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The game log don't lie. Dude padded his stats vs NJ and Buffalo.
How about the year before when he was playing in front of a crap defense and was basically winning every game he started while putting up at .932 save percentage?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
He's probably the second best goalie in the league though

I'm a Rangers fan and I don't agree with this. He's top-10 for me though.

I do think he's good but...Wow, just wow.

How can you say that?

He wasn’t even the second best goalie in the New York metropolitan area last year!

Well, at least based on the equivalent positional stats that Ranger fans often referenced in ranking Barzal accordingly.

:sarcasm:

Wow, just wow.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Wow, just wow.

Yeah, ok…

Even if my post wasn’t clearly marked with a sarcastic emoji AND clearly a dig at the Islander and Ranger fan banter about better centers at that time…

Everything else you quoted were comments based on his performance to that date. What does it matter what he has done since?

Reactions: One Winged Angel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad