Proposal: NYR/EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I’m not even a huge Georgiev fan, but you’re fooling yourself and yourself only if you believe this.

2c36cd081687c4fe5c7c385f7ba381bb.png

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Shesterkin’s ungodly numbers only serve to make Georgiev look less appealing, quite frankly. If Igor can put up a .940 SV% behind the Ranger defence and Georgiev can’t even manage league average, how’s he going to look behind a D that’s icing four rookies right now?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

Georgiev from December and on is a much different goaltender.

He’s been FAR BETTER than Koskinen in that time frame. He also plays better when he actually gets starts. He hasn’t started in exactly a month before tonight’s game.

He’s definitely better than Koskinen. Is he WORLDS better? Not sure about that, but he’s definitely better than as well as cheaper and younger than Koskinen.

At least I know when he starts consistently, he’s going to give you more than Koskinen.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Shesterkin’s ungodly numbers only serve to make Georgiev look less appealing, quite frankly. If Igor can put up a .940 SV% behind the Ranger defence and Georgiev can’t even manage league average, how’s he going to look behind a D that’s icing four rookies right now?

The Rangers are icing 3 defenders who have played less than 100 career games.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
I’m not saying they should or should not trade for him.

I’m just saying he’s absolutely better than Koskinen.

You have yet to provide a single shred of evidence to prove your point, while there have been multiple posts to prove you wrong.

And even though this was literally 8 posts ago on the exact same thread page, you seemed to have missed this so I'll requote it for you below.

Now, tell me again how Geo is sooooo much better than Koskinen that we are giving away signifcant assets for him?

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
geo for kosk is pretty well a wash stat wise this year theres only 2 things that geo has over kosk and that is his age and his cap hit. both expire at the end of this year and im guessing geo is going to want a raise, and sure max 3m is what hes worth so is he going to accept that? Just because you say hes better than him riding the pine all the time doesnt mean its true, if he was as good as you claim he is then hed be getting 40-50% of the starts and he needs to be better than a 0.898 sa% and sure his 2.99 gaa isnt horrible but it isnt great either.

at the end of the day his numbers are spiraling down and unless he were to pick it up and his attitude id actually prefer kosk atm as much as it pains me to say that. and we need an actual goalie that can provide constant goaltending and i mean that in a sense that you know how hes going to play each and every game you put him in net.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
No interest in Goergiev, he is not the answer and I'd rather spend the assets it'd take to get a solution in net.

I wouldn't move Yams alone for that.

Reactions: bucks_oil

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
but WHY, WHY is Geo's #s compared to Shesty worse?
1. Shesty of course is much much better --- can't do anything about this.
2. Only 1 set of starter mins and Geo no longer getting them and as a result, he is not sharper b'c he needs regular +, not less work. THAT can be resolved with trade to where he is the starter.

What not just Yamamoto for Geo? Make it simple.
NO no no no thanks. Do not want Yama. Period.
A la carte pricing. Depending on if return is this yr or delayed b'c pick is not available this yr/if Kosk comes here/if anybody retained/other pieces going to either team/etc, want
something including SOME of
McLeod
Pulj
Lavoie
pick(s)

conceivably price could be decreased by taking on Nemeth [we have Nils L + Hajek + Jones + Reunanen]

He’s been FAR BETTER than Koskinen in that time frame. He also plays better when he actually gets starts. He hasn’t started in exactly a month before tonight’s game.

He’s definitely better than Koskinen. Is he WORLDS better? Not sure about that, but he’s definitely better than as well as cheaper and younger than Koskinen.

At least I know when he starts consistently, he’s going to give you more than Koskinen.
concur

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
He’s not the “starter” the Oilers need. Pointless expenditure of assets.

Yeah, they'd have to resign him at at least 3+ for the chance he reverts back to being an average goaltender capable of playing 40 games, like he did three seasons ago.

This "he only needs to start and he'd be a surefire #1 goalie" is completely baseless.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

We've heard the same mantra from Bern. Two points to make:
1) Neither of you have shown us any numbers. Please do. I'm honestly curious... can you back up the statement that he's better when he gets starts? (you can choose how you define that).
2) Even if it is true that he's better when he gets starts... he's VERY inexperienced as a starter. He hasn't had anything close to a starter's load ever. Given the position is about consistency, and he's shown inconsistency as a backup, what logic leads you to believe his consistency would improve with a higher workload?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Oilers get fleeced in that one.
Gives you a goalie with control for a 3rd line level player. Seems a reasonable swap given the strange situation Edmonton is in with Smith and Koskinen both having issues with consistency and health. If MAF isn’t willing to go to Edmonton, you don’t have many goalie options.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Gives you a goalie with control for a 3rd line level player

Yamamoto is arguably a middle six winger, and you can't sell Georgeiv as a big upgrade on what the Oilers currently have. There is also a legitimate question over whether the Rangers will sign Geo as a RFA this off season. He'll be looking for a raise. So "control" you quote isn't really there. What will he want? $3 Million? $4 Million?

Sorry, no, that isn't a good trade for the Oilers. Rangers win it hands down.

Reactions: spaghtti

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yamamoto is arguably a middle six winger, and you can't sell Georgeiv as a big upgrade on what the Oilers currently have. There is also a legitimate question over whether the Rangers will sign Geo as a RFA this off season. He'll be looking for a raise. So "control" you quote isn't really there. What will he want? $3 Million? $4 Million?

Sorry, no, that isn't a good trade for the Oilers. Rangers win it hands down.
You think the Oilers are in any position to win a goalie trade? That’s the flaw in your thinking right there. Your GM needs a goalie. Smith looks terrible too frequently and Koskinen isn’t a legit 1G. Not even close. You’re in a bad spot in net. Every GM knows this. Holland will have to pay a heavy price to address is issues in net.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
So you think they should get fleeced? At least you're being honest. Yamamoto is worth more than Georgeiv.

Also, the Rangers aren't the only team the Oilers can deal with.
Of course I think Edmonton is in a bad negotiation position. If you don’t, you’re either a Pollyanna or you’re simply not reading the situation your GM put the Oilers in.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Of course I think Edmonton is in a bad negotiation position. If you don’t, you’re either a Pollyanna or you’re simply not reading the situation your GM put the Oilers in.

I didn't, at any time, imply the Oilers are dealing from a position of strength. However they aren't completely helpless either - just a lamb waiting for the proverbial slaughter. To overpay for a goaltender who is a legit 1A starter is one thing. To overpay for a goalie who is a back up and with numbers nearly identical to the guy they have is another.

You dislike the Oilers. I get that. At times you're pretty objective but at others your bias shows through. This is one of those biased times. Yamamoto for Geo is a bad trade and one Holland would never make IMHO.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I didn't, at any time, imply the Oilers are dealing from a position of strength. However they aren't completely helpless either - just a lamb waiting for the proverbial slaughter. To overpay for a goaltender who is a legit 1A starter is one thing. To overpay for a goalie who is a back up and with numbers nearly identical to the guy they have is another.

You dislike the Oilers. I get that. At times you're pretty objective but at others your bias shows through. This is one of those biased times. Yamamoto for Geo is a bad trade and one Holland would never make IMHO.
I don’t dislike the Oilers. I’m ambivalent about them, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Calgary. I can look at their respective situations objectively.

I’m not sure your GM is even going to address adding a goalie. If he does, you are not going to like the trade. It’s won’t be cheap and it will hurt the draft pick and prospect pool.

Yamamoto is ok but I don’t think he’s anything special so he’s not some heavy price to pay. In some ways, he’s your Conor Timmins. Enough there to hope for more but lack of production or injuries starts to erode those hopes of taking a much needed next level step.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad