Proposal: NYR/EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
Why Koskinen at 50? We don't need the retention. And Gauthier and Georgiev should be enough to get Yamamoto without giving them Robertson too. Drop the mid round pick. They are the ones with goaltending and cap issues. We shouldn't be doing them any favors.

COME ON, mate!

You should not even had a cup in 94 if we don’t make you a favor!:sarcasm:

Reactions: Gregsky99

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Ok, so Nuge just took a discount to stay, and the Oilers are in win now mode....what kind of offer would you make that would entice them?
Win now? The Oilers are less ready to win than the Rangers are. The deal would have to be about two or three years from now. So, having said that, we could part with Lundquist, Cuylle, Geo, a 2022 2nd and Strome so during this year's playoffs, the Oil still has a shot.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Win now? The Oilers are less ready to win than the Rangers are. The deal would have to be about two or three years from now. So, having said that, we could part with Lundquist, Cuylle, Geo, a 2022 2nd and Strome so during this year's playoffs, the Oil still has a shot.
And you think they would trade Nuge for that? I highly doubt they would.

I mean you think they trading 7 more years of Nuge at a very reasonable cap hit for an expiring Strome? And you didn't even include a 1st?

And ya, as long as McD and Drai are there, they are "win now".

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
And you think they would trade Nuge for that? I highly doubt they would.

I mean you think they trading 7 more years of Nuge at a very reasonable cap hit for an expiring Strome? And you didn't even include a 1st?

And ya, as long as McD and Drai are there, they are "win now".
Strome is in the deal so you do not have a big hole at 3C this playoff; if you make it which is iffy. The deal is based on upgrading the goalie position with a young player and two blue chip prospects both just about NHL ready. If you think the Oil can only make deals that guarantee to make them better right now, this doesn't work although Strome, Geo and Lunqvist step right into the lineup.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Strome is in the deal so you do not have a big hole at 3C this playoff; if you make it which is iffy. The deal is based on upgrading the goalie position with a young player and two blue chip prospects both just about NHL ready. If you think the Oil can only make deals that guarantee to make them better right now, this doesn't work although Strome, Geo and Lunqvist step right into the lineup.
Strome's contract expires this season....Nuge has 7 more years at 5.1. And while Geo "may" be an upgrade, that's no guarantee. And i think you are being generous with the term blue chip as well here....

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Georgiev is not a definite upgrade to Koskinen, and is not worth the cost.

If the Oilers want a cheap goalie - send the Sens a conditional pick for Forsberg, that gets progressively better the more games he plays in the playoffs. He's not a definite upgrade either, but he'll come a lot cheaper, and is a better gamble IMO.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

If the Oilers want a cheap goalie - send the Sens a conditional pick for Forsberg, that gets progressively better the more games he plays in the playoffs. He's not a definite upgrade either, but he'll come a lot cheaper, and is a better gamble IMO.

I don't have a lot of faith in Georgiev either, but I'm pretty down on the Oiler's goaltending situation right now. They deserved a win against Tampa.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
This. And I still prefer keeping Robertson, who is another Schneider type. Would think about Jones + Nils for Holloway +, but no need to go there at this pt.

The problem for many of your posts or counters is you love taking the bluechips and top prospects off the table for the NYR, but then ask for the equivalent from opposing team for lesser parts.

You can't pull Schneider/Robertson types from discussions and then say you want Holloway+ from the Oilers. Not that the Oilers would even necessarily be interested in either of those prospects at the price of Holloway, but for sake of parity and even rationale discussion, it just makes zero sense from an Oilers perspective

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Strome's contract expires this season....Nuge has 7 more years at 5.1. And while Geo "may" be an upgrade, that's no guarantee. And i think you are being generous with the term blue chip as well here....
Which of the two players is not a blue chip? Blue chip doesn't mean only the top 10 prospects. Not sure why you keep comparing Nuge and Strome. Strome is a fill in only for this year. The Oil have two top 6 centers so Nuge is a luxury the Oil probably can't afford. This deal fills holes for both teams both this year and beyond. I actually think the Rangers are giving up too much, but that's what has to happen to get that elusive 2C that they need.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021

I am an upgrade to Koskinen and I don't see that well. When Geo has played consistently his numbers are fantastic. He's not a great backup but he is a very good starter. The Oil need that desperately.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Which of the two players is not a blue chip? Blue chip doesn't mean only the top 10 prospects. Not sure why you keep comparing Nuge and Strome. Strome is a fill in only for this year. The Oil have two top 6 centers so Nuge is a luxury the Oil probably can't afford. This deal fills holes for both teams both this year and beyond. I actually think the Rangers are giving up too much, but that's what has to happen to get that elusive 2C that they need.
The just re-signed him for 8 years, so i think they can afford him....and he plays center and wing, kills penalties and is on the 1st PP unit....so he's not a luxury. So you think they would prefer having Strome for 4 months over the guy that took a discount for the next 7 years?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I don't have a lot of faith in Georgiev either, but I'm pretty down on the Oiler's goaltending situation right now. They deserved a win against Tampa.

IOh for sure. They NEED to do something. If the only answer is Georgiev, then roll the dice. I just think there are better bets thats all.

If Holland doesn't bring in someone I will be furious. lol

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
McLeod+2nd for Geo? Edmonton should quickly pass there. Geo is worth a 2nd....add a 3rd for taking 2 months of Koskinen, no chance you get McLeod and a 2nd.

I honestly don't think Geo is worth anything... like zero. He's batting 0.898 on one of the best teams in the league. The rangers are 3rd in the league in GAA, which obviously tells you that Shesterkin is legit and Geo is barely an NHL quality backup (if that).

Koskinen's 0.899 is coming behind a team with well known defensive deficiencies.

And @bernmeister... what on earth are you talking about with "Geo has a real ability to stonewall powerhouse teams",... the position is about consistency. I mean even Kosko has a 0.936@Calgary, 0.941@Pittsburgh, 0.947@Vegas, etc, etc... it means nothing if you can't do it consistently.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
I honestly don't think Geo is worth anything... like zero. He's batting 0.898 on one of the best teams in the league. The rangers are 3rd in the league in GAA, which obviously tells you that Shesterkin is legit and Geo is barely an NHL quality backup (if that).

Koskinen's 0.899 is coming behind a team with well known defensive deficiencies.

And @bernmeister... what on earth are you talking about with "Geo has a real ability to stonewall powerhouse teams",... the position is about consistency. I mean even Kosko has a 0.936@Calgary, 0.941@Pittsburgh, 0.947@Vegas, etc, etc... it means nothing if you can't do it consistently.
Solid post.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
That's a valid question, but if we are dealing Georgiev to Edmonton, then the assumption is that the Edmonton brass sees him as an upgrade. And Koskinen is nothing more than a cap dump. In this scenario, Edmonton would have to pay for the player they believe is an upgrade, and pay for us to take on that salary.

If the Edmonton brass doesn't think Georgiev is an upgrade, then the entire basis for the deal is moot.

Yikes.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
The just re-signed him for 8 years, so i think they can afford him....and he plays center and wing, kills penalties and is on the 1st PP unit....so he's not a luxury. So you think they would prefer having Strome for 4 months over the guy that took a discount for the next 7 years?
I think they will prefer the other players in the deal and the pick soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad