Proposal: NYR/EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Without looking at all the pieces, not sure Georgiev is the real answer for Edmonton. However, a simplified trade of Koskinen + for Georgiev probably works.

i think the plus needs to be significant or the Rangers don’t bother

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Yammamoto, Koskinen at 50 , mid round pick
For
Gauthier, Goergiev, Robertson

Why Koskinen at 50? We don't need the retention. And Gauthier and Georgiev should be enough to get Yamamoto without giving them Robertson too. Drop the mid round pick. They are the ones with goaltending and cap issues. We shouldn't be doing them any favors.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Why Koskinen at 50? We don't need the retention. And Gauthier and Georgiev should be enough to get Yamamoto without giving them Robertson too. Drop the mid round pick. They are the ones with goaltending and cap issues. We shouldn't be doing them any favors.

i was thinking that may be the case

Koskinen is still overpaid but if NYR doesn’t insist on 50 off that may persuade Edmonton to do it cause their cap is tight

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
For
Why are we gifting them a 6’4 D with potential that can move and shoot the puck?
Plus Geo helping them in the net???
Holland would run away laughing if this was offered...
If NYR deals Robertson, Holloway better be coming back....

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
If I'm to understand this, the Rangers are going to roll with Fox, Lindgren, Miller, Trouba, Schneider, Robertson, Lundquist and Jones for the foreseeable future? They're not going to make a move for any defensemen the next three-five years?

Power to them if they go that route but I can't see Dolan and/or Drury being that patient.

Great D prospect pool, I will say that.

Reactions: mm11

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
i think the plus needs to be significant or the Rangers don’t bother
Rangers probably don’t move Geo anyways, but realistic trade value IMO would be Koskinen+2nd+3rd. 2nd for Geo, 3rd for taking 2 months of Koskinen.

common12

Sep 10, 2011
For

Why? Yamamoto has 40 points in his last 100 games. Is a 30 point player worth Robertson? Thats ignoring downgrading from georgiev to kodkinen and giving away Gauthier for nothing.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
For
I don't think Robertson or Yamamoto need to be included here. Rangers don't really have a top 6 option for him right now and he hasn't showed enough to push a #1 or #2 overall down the lineup. If NYR want to roll the dice on a top 6 RW or hinder development on Laf/Kakko, I think the player coming back would need to be a sure top 6 fit. I don't see Yamamoto fitting in on our atrocious 3rd line. So simplifying this trade by eliminating Robertson and Yamamoto would be better, and working something out from there. If Oilers need deadline space, we don't need to have them retain 50%. You don't get a lot of space by retaining 50%.

You can have Gauthier if you eliminate the highlight reel of McDavid going through the NYR.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Would love to see Gauthier used as more than a replacement-level plug. Maybe that's all he is. But seems like that's all the role he's ever given.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If I'm to understand this, the Rangers are going to roll with Fox, Lindgren, Miller, Trouba, Schneider, Robertson, Lundquist and Jones for the foreseeable future? They're not going to make a move for any defensemen the next three-five years?

Power to them if they go that route but I can't see Dolan and/or Drury being that patient.

5 of 6 spots are already taken, we need one of Jones, Lundqvist or Robertson to snag the 6th spot.

There is absolutely zero reason to trade for a defender.

I am 100% comfortable with that group for the next 5-10 seasons

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
For
hell no, a silly win now move that makes us worse x 3 as each NY piece is better than EDM counterparts coming back
Gauthier has actual physical ability, we should be trying to find complementary linemates not giving him away for nothing.

No thanks, Robertson is a diamond in the rough.
this ^, quoted for truth

It’s not that bad Jeesh lol

take Robertson out if you want but then Edmonton may not give Yamamoto
Yama is overrated. We need Robertson long term, if I would not fork him over to LA for a decent C prospect b'c we need him for LD, I would certainly not move him for Yama

Why are we gifting them a 6’4 D with potential that can move and shoot the puck?
Plus Geo helping them in the net???
Holland would run away laughing if this was offered...
If NYR deals Robertson, Holloway better be coming back....
This. And I still prefer keeping Robertson, who is another Schneider type. Would think about Jones + Nils for Holloway +, but no need to go there at this pt.

There are six starting D positions, 3L and 3R.

As to if they will make a move for a D within the next 3 years, the answer is likely yes, but it will be as follows:
1. Trouba controls his fate 2 seasons after this. If he waits until the last minute, we have half the league to send him to for a futures dominant cap saving deal and he can't say squat. Or he can decide to let us move him to his preferred relocation a tad early, and we bend over backwards to accommodate him, plus we owe him/the wife one when he retires.
So Trouba = 2 years at the most.

2. One of Jones/Nils L will likely be dealt. Jones looks more comfortable now b'c he is used to NA, but I wouldn't read that to mean he has sharper hockey IQ. Similar, small edge to Jones in skating. The dif here is Nils has best D shot on the team. While Hunter Skinner is interesting pressing his case, that remains to be seen, the natural progression here is Trouba moves on, Schneider advances from 3RD to 2RD, Nils goes from 3LD to 3RD. Jones is odd man out for the right price, which at present is fair market value, no more no less, but NY has no urgency to deal immediately. Soon, yes; today, no.

3. Lindgren is likely on the block, very reluctantly, as of this offseason. The Fox + Zib increases squeeze us for another 11+m, which can be done by deleting Strome, Geo, Nemeth, Hajek + recovery of Hank 1.5 buyout cap hit --- AND NOT REPLACING THEM W/ANY SALARY. Howev, we need scratch $ for LaF, KK, Blais and coupla others. Reasonable as it is, Lindgren's 3 x3 [3 x 2 after this season] has to go for picks which max return his cap.

The D core for ny will include Fox, Schneider, Robertson, KAM, Nils L.
There is also possibility we deal Lindgren + Jones + 2 1sts + for Chychrun max retained, a deal with youth for youth at its core.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

No, it's not.

Is Georgiev even better than Koskinen? Lets be real here.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No, it's not.

He is b'c at least he has demonstrated ability to stonewall real powerhouse scoring clubs IF he is sharp which, having cracked the code, we now find he can be w/starter mins = enuf regular work.
Kosk is pure crapola.

But no prob, DO NOT WANT YAMA
McLeod or a 2nd only for Geo
and that is a la carte pricing

2nd/McLeod now -- add if delayed b'c taking asset not available now
add if we retain on Geo
add if we take Kosk back -- he's so bad we'd put him on waivers and likely no takers, would have him watch til he expires

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
No, it's not.

That's a valid question, but if we are dealing Georgiev to Edmonton, then the assumption is that the Edmonton brass sees him as an upgrade. And Koskinen is nothing more than a cap dump. In this scenario, Edmonton would have to pay for the player they believe is an upgrade, and pay for us to take on that salary.

If the Edmonton brass doesn't think Georgiev is an upgrade, then the entire basis for the deal is moot.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
hell no, a silly win now move that makes us worse x 3 as each NY piece is better than EDM counterparts coming back
Gauthier has actual physical ability, we should be trying to find complementary linemates not giving him away for nothing.

this ^, quoted for truth

Yama is overrated. We need Robertson long term, if I would not fork him over to LA for a decent C prospect b'c we need him for LD, I would certainly not move him for Yama

This. And I still prefer keeping Robertson, who is another Schneider type. Would think about Jones + Nils for Holloway +, but no need to go there at this pt.

There are six starting D positions, 3L and 3R.

As to if they will make a move for a D within the next 3 years, the answer is likely yes, but it will be as follows:
1. Trouba controls his fate 2 seasons after this. If he waits until the last minute, we have half the league to send him to for a futures dominant cap saving deal and he can't say squat. Or he can decide to let us move him to his preferred relocation a tad early, and we bend over backwards to accommodate him, plus we owe him/the wife one when he retires.
So Trouba = 2 years at the most.

2. One of Jones/Nils L will likely be dealt. Jones looks more comfortable now b'c he is used to NA, but I wouldn't read that to mean he has sharper hockey IQ. Similar, small edge to Jones in skating. The dif here is Nils has best D shot on the team. While Hunter Skinner is interesting pressing his case, that remains to be seen, the natural progression here is Trouba moves on, Schneider advances from 3RD to 2RD, Nils goes from 3LD to 3RD. Jones is odd man out for the right price, which at present is fair market value, no more no less, but NY has no urgency to deal immediately. Soon, yes; today, no.

3. Lindgren is likely on the block, very reluctantly, as of this offseason. The Fox + Zib increases squeeze us for another 11+m, which can be done by deleting Strome, Geo, Nemeth, Hajek + recovery of Hank 1.5 buyout cap hit --- AND NOT REPLACING THEM W/ANY SALARY. Howev, we need scratch $ for LaF, KK, Blais and coupla others. Reasonable as it is, Lindgren's 3 x3 [3 x 2 after this season] has to go for picks which max return his cap.

The D core for ny will include Fox, Schneider, Robertson, KAM, Nils L.
There is also possibility we deal Lindgren + Jones + 2 1sts + for Chychrun max retained, a deal with youth for youth at its core.

youre overrated

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Georgiev is a slightly younger and better Koskinen, and every single season in the NHL has been worse than his previous one. The Oilers may as well just gamble on Stuart Skinner if they're going to move a bunch of pieces for a very minor upgrade. It would just be a trade of one backup for another, it doesn't fix the issue. They need a starter.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
He is b'c at least he has demonstrated ability to stonewall real powerhouse scoring clubs IF he is sharp which, having cracked the code, we now find he can be w/starter mins = enuf regular work.
Kosk is pure crapola.

But no prob, DO NOT WANT YAMA
McLeod or a 2nd only for Geo
and that is a la carte pricing

2nd/McLeod now -- add if delayed b'c taking asset not available now
add if we retain on Geo
add if we take Kosk back -- he's so bad we'd put him on waivers and likely no takers, would have him watch til he expires
McLeod+2nd for Geo? Edmonton should quickly pass there. Geo is worth a 2nd....add a 3rd for taking 2 months of Koskinen, no chance you get McLeod and a 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad