Proposal: NYR - EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
rangers are the best team in the league bar none. Gotta have a decent back up to go deep. As someone said Covid and injuries can sneak up on any team

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
No. If our 1st is involved it has to be for an upgrade with fewer question marks than Georgiev. That's the price for a proven starter not a slight upgrade who has played poorly at times this season. Good backup cost is usually a 3rd at most. Geo might ha e starter upside so I would give a bit more but overall paying starter rates for a backup isn't smart. If that isn't enough to get him, we move on to the next one and maybe circle back later.

I suppose hang onto that 1st, draft a goalie and hopefully 5+ years from now he'll end up being a starter.

But odds aren't any better that whoever you select will turn out any better than Georgieve is right now.

Reactions: bernmeister

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I suppose hang onto that 1st, draft a goalie and hopefully 5+ years from now he'll end up being a starter.

But odds aren't any better that whoever you select will turn out any better than Georgieve is right now.

We've seen similar statements in other goalie threads, people implying that their goalie is the only goalie who will be available, so we should overpay for him. I don't believe that to be true. There are options other than "overpay for Georgiev or wait 5 years for your drafted guy to be ready".

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Canucks are 3 points out of the playoffs so they probably won't trade halak and MAF is 7M and had Chicago agree not to trade him without his say so after how it went down in Vegas. It also makes no sense that you wouldn't be willing to pay to dump koskinen in a goalie trade when you acknowledge the oilers still have other holes to fill as well. So what's the solution if you don't want to create cap? Write off the year?
my point is, adding a goalie isn't the solution when they have some of the worst 5x5 metrics for bottom 6 play. Koskinen is on his last year, iirc, so that can be addressed in the offseason.
my point is, EDM isn't a goalie away from cup contention IMO. To your point, MAF's cap hit is prolly too onerous to take on so that's prolly not gonna happen. Allen is just more of the same, but with term, so I don't think it'd be in EDM's best interests to take him on, especially for anything above a 3rd.
I think that EDM should ride it out this year and hope they get hot and address the roster issues in the offseason

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
that's the definition of Jake Allen, and why STL finally moved on from him

Jake Allen had a 2.15 GAA and 0.927SV% in his last year with the Blues. They moved on from him because they won the cup with Binnington and needed to clear Allen's 4.35M cap hit to sign their other guys. Allen now makes 2.875M and Montreal could retain 50%, making him a great deal. He was the reason we made the playoffs last season when Price was hurt and missed over half the season.

Doing nothing and wasting another prime year of two Hart contenders would be an asinine decision from Holland and would probably cost him his job. At some point the Oilers will actually have to try and win with Connor and Leon.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
We've seen similar statements in other goalie threads, people implying that their goalie is the only goalie who will be available, so we should overpay for him. I don't believe that to be true. There are options other than "overpay for Georgiev or wait 5 years for your drafted guy to be ready".
Yes. They can overpay for MAF. Quick probably isn’t available. Geo probably isn’t available either given the Rangers don’t have a viable number 3.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Jake Allen had a 2.15 GAA and 0.927SV% in his last year with the Blues. They moved on from him because they won the cup with Binnington and needed to clear Allen's 4.35M cap hit to sign their other guys. Allen now makes 2.875M and Montreal could retain 50%, making him a great deal. He was the reason we made the playoffs last season when Price was hurt and missed over half the season.

Doing nothing and wasting another prime year of two Hart contenders would be an asinine decision from Holland and would probably cost him his job. At some point the Oilers will actually have to try and win with Connor and Leon.

Doing nothing isn't on the menu for Oiler fans or the organization. No one, literally NO ONE is talking about doing nothing. You're only saying that to push a lousy trade on to Edmonton.

Overpaying for a goalie who isn't an upgrade is dumb. Allen isn't an upgrade on Koskinen.

Reactions: Ragdoll

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
he doesn't solve their problems. he's more of the same. why make a lateral move? and what is EDM trading that motivates MTL to take Kosk and free up cap space? anything more than a 3rd ain't worth it
like someone else mentioned, Halak or even MAF would be better for EDM (depending again, on what EDM is having to spend for them)

then they can address in the offseason where they can make a thought out decision, not a kneejerk one
It'd take a 2nd pick at minimum just to take on Koskinen.

So, What are EDM ACTUALLY sending for Jake Allen? Habs paid a 2nd, and his value has gonne up since then, so yah...

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021

again, their roster isn't a goalie away from contending. they 'wasted' another year due to poor roster construction, not just a goalie

and I have watched Allen for years here in STL.. I know exactly what he is.. a backup.. timeshare at best. he's not EDM's answer

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017

Not even saying it has to be Geo specifically. They just might need to be willing to part with a first to get somebody that has shown they have the potential to be a starter or 1B likely....especially since I don't think they completely meltdown all season so the first is going to be somewhere in the middle of the round.

For somebody that is a proven starter that isn't an aging goalie with one foot already out of the NHL it will likely cost more than a first.....Red Wings aside. They got a little lucky and unlike Edmonton they have Yzerman

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

So, What are EDM ACTUALLY sending for Jake Allen? Habs paid a 2nd, and his value has gonne up since then, so yah...
It won't take a 2nd to move Koskinen for a few months. It might be the difference between having to give up a 2nd instead of a 3rd, or a 3rd instead of a 4th, but eating a few months of a backup goalie isn't going to cost a ton. If its the right deal for both teams, its probably just a toss in to make the deal work.

Reactions: Ragdoll

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not even saying it has to be Geo specifically. They just might need to be willing to part with a first to get somebody that has shown they have the potential to be a starter or 1B likely....especially since I don't think they completely meltdown all season so the first is going to be somewhere in the middle of the round.

For somebody that is a proven starter that isn't an aging goalie with one foot already out of the NHL it will likely cost more than a first.....Red Wings aside. They got a little lucky and unlike Edmonton they have Yzerman
I think many Oiler fans are willing to give up a 1st+ for the right goalie. That means a starting goalie though. One with term. Literally the only 1st round pick used in trade to get a goalie in recent memory was the Colorado deal for Keumper, and I feel that Sakic won a huge bidding war to get Kuemper, and it didn't turn out good for him. The goalie market isn't so tight right now that marginal goalies are worth 1st round picks. It wasn't long ago that a significant contingent of Rangers fans were wanting Georgiev gone for very little. I agree that he has played his value up, but not so much that he's worth a 1st.

But as has been said, it doesn't make much sense for the Rangers to move him anyway. He is their insurance policy, so just hold onto him for now. As teams fall out of the playoff race, more goalies will likely become available.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'd do Lavoie and a 2nd or 3rd for Georgiev right now. I have had enough of Koskinen, although I worry about Georgiev in Edmonton right now as well until our coach is fired. They don't play a system. That's the biggest issue. They try to run and gun it but don't have the parts to do that after McDavid and Draisaitl.
Id do Lavoie and a 2nd.

Reactions: bernmeister

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Doing nothing isn't on the menu for Oiler fans or the organization. No one, literally NO ONE is talking about doing nothing. You're only saying that to push a lousy trade on to Edmonton.

Overpaying for a goalie who isn't an upgrade is dumb. Allen isn't an upgrade on Koskinen.

Except the person I was responding too...?

my point is, adding a goalie isn't the solution when they have some of the worst 5x5 metrics for bottom 6 play. Koskinen is on his last year, iirc, so that can be addressed in the offseason.
my point is, EDM isn't a goalie away from cup contention IMO. To your point, MAF's cap hit is prolly too onerous to take on so that's prolly not gonna happen. Allen is just more of the same, but with term, so I don't think it'd be in EDM's best interests to take him on, especially for anything above a 3rd.
I think that EDM should ride it out this year and hope they get hot and address the roster issues in the offseason

Yell at this guy, not me. I clearly state in my post I don't think they should do nothing when they have two Hart calibre players on the team.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

It doesn't take a 2nd to move an average back up goalie with just over 1/2 a season left on his contract and less then 2,812,000 million dollars left .

Montreal going to have to pay 12 1st round pick to move Price at that rate

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Except the person I was responding too...?

Yell at this guy, not me. I clearly state in my post I don't think they should do nothing when they have two Hart calibre players on the team.

Ah, there is someone. I heartily disagree. Most of the fanbase does too. And the local media. And the eastern media.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
It doesn't take a 2nd to move an average back up goalie with just over 1/2 a season left on his contract and less then 2,812,000 million dollars left .

Montreal going to have to pay 12 1st round pick to move Price at that rate
Price at least is a #1G

Koskinen is a bakc with a cap hit of 5M$.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad