Proposal: NYR - EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Rangers won't trade Georgiev until COVID protocols relax or unless they acquire a capable backup (Halak, perhaps). They won't go Huska-Kinkaid as the 2-3 options in a season they think they're competitive.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Let's be real here... is a 3rd round enough to pry Gorgiev away?
And is Gorgiev going to thrive on the Oilers?
Very doubtful this is the right move or either team.

Reactions: Skate2Stick

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Let's be real here... is a 3rd round enough to pry Gorgiev away?
And is Gorgiev going to thrive on the Oilers?
Very doubtful this is the right move or either team.
Rangers apparently want to trade him if you listen to their fans, Oilers want a solid young goalie if you listen to their fans, it’s a trade made in heaven

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
What would Oilers trade for Allen? With or without 50% retention. We could also take back Koskinen if the return is right.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Watched the game tonight. Why the Oilers would never get a goalie all these years one of crazy things I have seen in hockey. Pissing away all these prime years of McDavid.

Go and get a goalie! Should of did it 5 years ago. Try and patch it up with tier 2 netminding. It's killing them

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Halak to Edm makes sense for the Canucks and the Oilers but, we still dont have a gm so we probably wont see that until the tdl

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Rangers apparently want to trade him if you listen to their fans, Oilers want a solid young goalie if you listen to their fans, it’s a trade made in heaven

Yeah but is a 3rd rounder enough for a viable goalie?
And should I bet led to believe that Gorgiev is going to perform any better than Skinner at this point in his career? If Edmonton wants to compete for a cup they need to go out and get a long term option with more upside like Gibson AKA paying some legit assets for a goalie.

I've seen a ton of goalies come in and out of Edmonton in the past 30 years and since the beginning of our decade of shame it's been rare to see a goalie that doesn't see their stats take a bump moving over to Edmonton.

3rd for Gorgiev now will look like great value for Edmonton.
But assuming Goriev is proven to not be a long term option it'll be seen as status quo aka Edmonton wasting assets.

I really like Holland. I love the way he expresses himself. He's so open and honest. Go to the Oilers youtube channel and find last season's year end interview. It must have been 30-50 minutes long. He didn't avoid any questions regarding the moves he did and didn't make. Most GMs are so insecure and tight lipped and he's the complete opposite. He's the kind of person you just can't hate.

That being said, his awesome personality isn't going to save him from himself if he doesn't make more moves that benefit the team.

The way he handled Puljujarvi and signed Hyman shouldn't be ignored.
The resigning of Hopkins was also solid.
The Drai signing at the time looked stupid but now it looks brilliant.
Nobody is going to knock the McDavid contract. I'm confident there are 20 other teams out there that would happily pay McDavid more to come to their team and they'd find a way to fit him under the cap.

That being said there are more questionable moves that have been made and moves that haven't been made that cause the fanbase to question the competence of the GM.

I just hope Holland starts making good decisions at a higher rate so that we don't need to question his future in Edmonton. God knows our owner will probably let Nicolson hire 3 more lame duck GMs before giving him the axe.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
If Edmonton acquired Georgiev would the cap even work in that deal?

If not Edmonton would have to send salary back if the cap doesn’t work.

The Rangers are in the mist of their own playoff run, so they would probably want something worth their while, a 3rd round is an ok return but Drury would probably want more...

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Watched the game tonight. Why the Oilers would never get a goalie all these years one of crazy things I have seen in hockey. Pissing away all these prime years of McDavid.

Go and get a goalie! Should of did it 5 years ago. Try and patch it up with tier 2 netminding. It's killing them
what they need is decent bottom 6 players, then a Dman or 2, THEN worry about a goalie

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
why would EDM want another backup quality goalie? they already have those

Because Allen is at least 1B quality and isn't in his 40's. Not that many prime goalies available right now and a team with cap problems could do a lot worse than Allen at ~1.5M, especially if we take Koskinen back so they can add depth elsewhere.

Reactions: Maelpj93

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah but is a 3rd rounder enough for a viable goalie?
And should I bet led to believe that Gorgiev is going to perform any better than Skinner at this point in his career? If Edmonton wants to compete for a cup they need to go out and get a long term option with more upside like Gibson AKA paying some legit assets for a goalie.

I've seen a ton of goalies come in and out of Edmonton in the past 30 years and since the beginning of our decade of shame it's been rare to see a goalie that doesn't see their stats take a bump moving over to Edmonton.

3rd for Gorgiev now will look like great value for Edmonton.
But assuming Goriev is proven to not be a long term option it'll be seen as status quo aka Edmonton wasting assets.

I really like Holland. I love the way he expresses himself. He's so open and honest. Go to the Oilers youtube channel and find last season's year end interview. It must have been 30-50 minutes long. He didn't avoid any questions regarding the moves he did and didn't make. Most GMs are so insecure and tight lipped and he's the complete opposite. He's the kind of person you just can't hate.

That being said, his awesome personality isn't going to save him from himself if he doesn't make more moves that benefit the team.

The way he handled Puljujarvi and signed Hyman shouldn't be ignored.
The resigning of Hopkins was also solid.
The Drai signing at the time looked stupid but now it looks brilliant.
Nobody is going to knock the McDavid contract. I'm confident there are 20 other teams out there that would happily pay McDavid more to come to their team and they'd find a way to fit him under the cap.

That being said there are more questionable moves that have been made and moves that haven't been made that cause the fanbase to question the competence of the GM.

I just hope Holland starts making good decisions at a higher rate so that we don't need to question his future in Edmonton. God knows our owner will probably let Nicolson hire 3 more lame duck GMs before giving him the axe.

The fact that he has underestimated the hole that Larsson left in our defense and tried to fill it with Keith and Barrie. His adding veterans to the roster went south as did hoping to fix net issues with 39 year old Smith on a 2 year deal. Turris, Ryan, Shore and Russell should have not been signed. Letting Tippet tank one of only 4 more years where we have Mcdrai signed is the biggest issue. It was obvious when he missed 2 games and the team was revitalized then right back in the tank as soon as he was back. Holland has to see this and he is still not doing anything. He could easily give Gulutzan the reins as interim and decide in the summer, or just give the job to Woodcroft.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Because Allen is at least 1B quality and isn't in his 40's. Not that many prime goalies available right now and a team with cap problems could do a lot worse than Allen at ~1.5M, especially if we take Koskinen back so they can add depth elsewhere.
he doesn't solve their problems. he's more of the same. why make a lateral move? and what is EDM trading that motivates MTL to take Kosk and free up cap space? anything more than a 3rd ain't worth it
like someone else mentioned, Halak or even MAF would be better for EDM (depending again, on what EDM is having to spend for them)

then they can address in the offseason where they can make a thought out decision, not a kneejerk one

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
If Edmonton acquired Georgiev would the cap even work in that deal?

If not Edmonton would have to send salary back if the cap doesn’t work.

The Rangers are in the mist of their own playoff run, so they would probably want something worth their while, a 3rd round is an ok return but Drury would probably want more...
This. A 3rd rounder is probably fair value for Georgie, but the rangers don't really have a reason to trade him. But with this Shesty other viable backups in the system, they don't necessarily need to keep him either. I'd do it for a 2nd.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The fact that he has underestimated the hole that Larsson left in our defense and tried to fill it with Keith and Barrie. His adding veterans to the roster went south as did hoping to fix net issues with 39 year old Smith on a 2 year deal. Turris, Ryan, Shore and Russell should have not been signed. Letting Tippet tank one of only 4 more years where we have Mcdrai signed is the biggest issue. It was obvious when he missed 2 games and the team was revitalized then right back in the tank as soon as he was back. Holland has to see this and he is still not doing anything. He could easily give Gulutzan the reins as interim and decide in the summer, or just give the job to Woodcroft.

Personally I don't think Holland underestimated the importance of Larsson to this team and he continued to increase his offer as UFA deadline approached. I also think the Keith signing was fast tracked to try to help in re-signing Larsson. Demonstrate the team's commitment to add more veteran, winning experience and a future Hall of Fame to pair with Larsson. When Larsson left, this went pear shape for Holland which necessitated a rebuilt blue line, one that is uni-dimensional as a soft, finesse puck moving d-corp with no physical, shutdown defender.

Trying to patchwork goaltending has been the biggest weakness of a very threadbare roster. Oilers consistently have the second best goaltender on the ice and no where near the quality required to consistently win in either regular season or to carry a team through long playoff seasons. It's been even more exposed behind a mistake prone soft d-corp this year and poor forward support in d-zone play. Holland bought three big pieces this summer, Hyman, Nugent Hopkins, and overpay for Keith. That left spending nickels on retread veterans, reclamation project(s), and green banana prospect rookies. Now in the midst of substantive injuries with their #1 average goalie whose played 4 games; an NAHL defense corp with not ready prospects having to play substantive games; and shitty forward depth outside one, maybe one-and-a-half lines going, this team is in freefall.

Need an elite goaltender but I don't see that happening this year.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The hole left by Larsson was filled by Ceci and he has been fine in that role. Our system is the biggest problem.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Rangers dont need cap space this year and really don't have a reason to trade Georgiev. If he is traded and Kincaid can't perform consistent back up duties it does more bad than good.

A 3rd rounder is not really worth it.

Rangers probably trade him at the draft for a 3rd or maybe more if he continues his recent play.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Georgiev has been playing really well so I see no reason to move him right now unless it’s a really sell high scenario. After the season I could see him going for a good pick... 2nd if he keeps it up, 3rd or 4th if he’s inconsistent.

I think the value of this deal is about right but as it stands, you’d have to incentivize the Rangers to weaken their club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad