Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Im sorry but mitch has not been better and has directly cost us two games.
All 3 can share the blame so far, not just Nylander.
But you can't keep going forward with all 3 if this is the consistent trend. Matthews looks like a rover. Nylander getting benched, in one game, out the other. Marner looking like each game is painful and not half as involved as he used to be.
Change will have to happen.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
But you can't keep going forward with all 3 if this is the consistent trend. Matthews looks like a rover. Nylander getting benched, in one game, out the other. Marner looking like each game is painful and not half as involved as he used to be.
I thought Marner looked better against the Flyers, that's not saying much, but hopefully it's a step in the right direction and he can build on said game?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I thought Marner looked better against the Flyers, that's not saying much, but hopefully it's a step in the right direction and he can build on said game?
Marner was in and out that game as well. He had the tying goal that was also fortunate due to the poor play by the goaltender on the wrap around. But kudos for at least driving around the net because of the mistake.
That being said, if that game was the best to elevate you above the other 2, we are in serious trouble.

Reactions: rumman

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Incorrect.

Kessel got proper offensive usage relative to the talent he had. Nylander isn't. Nylander proved in his first 2 years that he is full well capable of developing into an elite offensive player (he showed elite production both at ES and PP).

Nylander's development has hit a serious block, and I'm 100% convinced at this point that he has stopped responding to Babcock. It's the same reasoning for Matthews, it doesn't matter what progression he shows in his game, this coach REFUSES to reward them with more opportunity. He'll happily punish them when they have bad stretches, but won't reward them when they have good stretches. You cannot run things this way with young players.

Basically your argument is that nylander and Matthew's are so spoiled and entitled that they have decided to block out the teams head coach.

That is not a good sign. We dont need players like that. We need team players. Players that stick up for each other. Neither of these 2 fill those roles.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
How should one handle a player who's floating around without caring? I have no idea.
All i know is that if you treat the same problem the same way and expect different results, you will be fooled every time.

And the floating and not caring is a grave missunderstanding of the psycology of a Nylander kind of player. He cares but locks up mentaly. No benching are going to solve that.

I would want to say " i will bench you next time you try to go topshelf, the next ten games just hit the net, the goalie or anything inside the netarea"

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
William Nylander is taking a sound beating by the Toronto hockey media this morning.

Perhaps there comes a time where you have to admit to yourself that he's not playing inspired hockey right now. I don't expect you to not cheer for him, or to throw away your official Nylander Leafs Jersey. I do think a few fans need to come away from underlying analytical blog media, and admit that he's perhaps just a support player going through a rough patch.

I don't think he's being treated unfairly IMHO. We all cheer for the leafs, and we want the team to win. Uninspired play doesn't help wins.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
William Nylander is taking a sound beating by the Toronto hockey media this morning.

Perhaps there comes a time where you have to admit to yourself that he's not playing inspired hockey right now. I don't expect you to not cheer for him, or to throw away your official Nylander Leafs Jersey. I do think a few fans need to come away from underlying analytical blog media, and admit that he's perhaps just a support player going through a rough patch.

I don't think he's being treated unfairly IMHO. We all cheer for the leafs, and we want the team to win. Uninspired play doesn't help wins.

As he should.

We all laughed when he pulled the double flamingo in his rookie season, because well... he was a rookie.

Unfortunately he's 4 years older, approaching middle-age in the NHL, and is still playing like a coward.

He's got a long way to go if he's ever going to reach his potential in this league, which at this point is basically Alex Semin at best.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
No one plays 82 solid NHL games a season - i repeat NO one. People are so fickle. They guy plays a great game against Washington (likely are 3rd best player after Matty and Holl) and has a crap game against Philli and you guys are throwing him out of the bus. Common. Give your head a shake people. And Babs is such a d*ck for benching him too. Did you see Matty get benched???? He was just as bad. Babs has different standards for different players which is why he is having trouble. You lose respect in the room when you do that.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Marner was in and out that game as well. He had the tying goal that was also fortunate due to the poor play by the goaltender on the wrap around. But kudos for at least driving around the net because of the mistake.
That being said, if that game was the best to elevate you above the other 2, we are in serious trouble.

That type of wraparound shouldn't happen very often without a goalie mistake. Full credit to Marner for spotting the opportunity. This is what has always been impressive about Marner that he clearly thinks on the ice. It's not like he's attempted 50 wraparounds in his NHL career and final hit on one. He hardly ever attempts that but spotted the opportunity immediately. There are others on this team who would have gone straight to their own comfort moves: gone for a perimeter pleasure skate, centered the puck blindly, went wider into the corner taking a shot at a sharp angle, etc.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
He deserves all the vitriol he receives and then some. When you play scared and are paid millions it’s a problem.

Nylander is an embarrassment and the most unlikeable player the Leafs have has in at least 30 years.

Reactions: Blowfish and Al14

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The problem i have with this media pile on this morning (not to mention the direction of this thread lol) os that its just blatantly flase to suggest the last game is how hes played the entire season so far. Make no mistake, he had a subpar game thenother night to say the least, but the game before that he had a fantastic night against Washington.

Theres not a single player in the teams core whose been consistent for a whole 15 games. Marner staryed off looking like a rubbish but seemingly has found his game over the last few, Matthews like Nylander has had in and off games throughout the year, Andersen has been absolute rubbish in probbaly 75% of his starts so far, JT looked absolutely exhausted to stat the season....

BUT the focus seemingly here and in thr media has been how Nylander is by far the most underperforming player. And thats bull.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The problem i have with this media pile on this morning (not to menrion the direction of this thread lol) os that its just blantsntly flase to suggest the last game is how hes played thr entire season so far. Make no mistale, he had a subpar game thenother night to saybthe least, but the game before that he had a fantastic night against Washington.

Theres not a single player in the teams core whose been consistent for a whole 15 games. Marner staryed off looking like a rubbish but seemingly has found his game over the last few, Matthews like Nylander has had in and off gsmes throughout the year, Andersen has been absolute rubbish in probbaly 75% of his starts so far, JT looked absolutely echausetsd to stat the season....

BUT the focus seemingly here and in thr media has been how Nylander is by fsr the most underperforming player. And thats bull.
So so true ... Again people are fickle. Too many people worried about contracts they are not paying out. Too many people worrying about CAP they don't control. Check the standings overall team has not played well at all but somehow still in playoffs. But our tear down media has to get clicks i guess. It kinda makes me LOL. When the skill and lines kick in team will be fine. We will add a little toughness and hopefully Babs gets replaced but I doubt it.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Am I missing something?

What's happened recently to make people turn on Nylander?

Like... nothings changed. He's ALWAYS been this player. He's lazy, soft, and lacks heart. He always has been. I've been SCREAMING it all along. The guy used Draisaitl and Pastrnak as his comparables... and look how many people here DEFENDED that stance. With nonsense like "zone entries" and other bull****.

This is the 4th year of this.

So why are people only just now figuring it out?

it's not all of a sudden really!

I was all for dumping him before his EL deal ran out, in fact, there were more then a few of us despite all the so called stats that made this guy some kind of supposed superstar, Zone Entries my butt, that stat is about as useless as +/-

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Agreed, but you need to change the coach first and then if it continues change the players.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
that's not really saying much though is it?
Says your statement isn't accurate.

I want him to take another step, right now he's untapped potential and he may always be that guy, but he's certainly been better this year

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Says your statement isn't accurate.

I want him to take another step, right now he's untapped potential and he may always be that guy, but he's certainly been better this year
I'll praise him when he plays like a 7 million dollar player for more than 1 game in a row.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The problem i have with this media pile on this morning (not to menrion the direction of this thread lol) os that its just blantsntly flase to suggest the last game is how hes played thr entire season so far. Make no mistale, he had a subpar game thenother night to saybthe least, but the game before that he had a fantastic night against Washington.

Theres not a single player in the teams core whose been consistent for a whole 15 games. Marner staryed off looking like a rubbish but seemingly has found his game over the last few, Matthews like Nylander has had in and off gsmes throughout the year, Andersen has been absolute rubbish in probbaly 75% of his starts so far, JT looked absolutely exhausted to stat the season....

BUT the focus seemingly here and in thr media has been how Nylander is by fsr the most underperforming player. And thats bull.

Get that keyboard fixed.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
So so true ... Again people are fickle. Too many people worried about contracts they are not paying out. Too many people worrying about CAP they don't control. Check the standings overall team has not played well at all but somehow still in playoffs. But our tear down media has to get clicks i guess. It kinda makes me LOL. When the skill and lines kick in team will be fine. We will add a little toughness and hopefully Babs gets replaced but I doubt it.

You can't be serious. The cap and the size of these contracts are nothing to worry about? It's one thing to say that Nylander will be better next time, but the salaries and cap situation will always be a high level anxiety for the fans. It's got to be double for Shanny and Dubas.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
As Moron Man says, "you cannot out -talent the opponent in hockey! You need toughness and determination! Good Canadian kids who know what it is like to struggle to achieve!" That is to say, the team that sits in the penalty box and gives the other team more power plays wins.

Sadly, that ancient dinosaur way of thinking is widely held in traditional hockey markets.

New ways, like analytics, skills, good scouting, getting European players to play here are all treated with suspicion.

The dinosaurs heads explode when in the salary cap era you pay players today for what they will be in the future, and not for cups won a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. But there is this fondness for memories and thinking of what that guy would look like in a Leafs jersey, and he wanted no part of the media circus of Toronto when he first became a free agent, but now that he is looking at the end of pay checks, Toronto looks like a great destination, and Leafs Nation continues to embrace this Moron Man school of thought.

So looking to be ironic, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad