Nylander Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Be an absolute crazy divisional trade...but what would people think of a deal involving Nylander and Brady Tkachuk? Ottawa in all likelyhood would want more in that deal however. Id personally even throw in a Liljegren or a Bracco to make it happen. Tkachuk would be a tremendous power forward with skill for Matthews and they're buddies as well (Matty and the Tkachuk family). Sens get a couple young skill pieces towards their rebuild. Pipe dream but I'd like the fit. We've shown in the past we can pull off big trades with them.

Nylander & Bracco/Lily for Tkachuk

Tkachuk-Matthews-Mikheyev
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Moore-Gauthier-Timashov/Spezza

We’d have a better chance getting Matthew. But imo we have no chance to get either, they will both be the next captains of their respective teams.

Reactions: Nylander88

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm not convinced citing other overpaid/under performing players makes the point you think it does, but I could be wrong?

you might wanna go back and check the post you wrote that I replied to.

Unless you think somehow dubas went and signed those deals?

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
We’d have a better chance getting Matthew. But imo we have no chance to get either, they will both be the next captains of their respective teams.
I disagree we'd have a better chance at Matthew, he's already a star. Brady hasn't taken off yet. I agree with the other part though. Heart and soul type players. Something we could use

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
Am I missing something?

What's happened recently to make people turn on Nylander?

Like... nothings changed. He's ALWAYS been this player. He's lazy, soft, and lacks heart. He always has been. I've been SCREAMING it all along. The guy used Draisaitl and Pastrnak as his comparables... and look how many people here DEFENDED that stance. With nonsense like "zone entries" and other bull****.

This is the 4th year of this.

So why are people only just now figuring it out?
This is unhealthy.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
LOL Nylander is 100% remaining a Maple Leaf

Get used to it folks.

this reminds me so much of the hate campaign against Kessel years back when all you read was "you're never going to win with a player like this" and Kessel goes on to win back-to-back cups with the Penguins and arguably being robbed of a Conn Smythe in 2016. You guys looked stupid then and you're probably going to look stupid again.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Get used to it folks.

this reminds me so much of the hate campaign against Kessel years back when all you read was "you're never going to win with a player like this" and Kessel goes on to win back-to-back cups with the Penguins and arguably being robbed of a Conn Smythe in 2016. You guys looked stupid then and you're probably going to look stupid again.

Kessel was a ppg player with no support, bad goaltending, and poor defensive structure in place. Nylander plays with Matthews on what should be the best leaf team in recent history at least on paper. Nylander is struggling to pace for 60 points while Kessel was a 75ish point player throughout his 6-year career in Toronto.

Nylander is a poor man's version of kessel right now. He is playing like 14/15 kessel. He needs to find ways to be much more productive and stop having performances like the one he had against the flyers. His production to pay ratio is scary bad right now. If he does not take a big step and ends off with 50 points this year he is going to be valued as a 2nd line player with a bad deal. We would not get much for him in that case. He needs to be either shipped off now while his value is still not fully sunk, or needs to wake up and deliver on his contract.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Kessel was a ppg player with no support, bad goaltending, and poor defensive structure in place. Nylander plays with Matthews on what should be the best leaf team in recent history at least on paper. Nylander is struggling to pace for 60 points while Kessel was a 75ish point player throughout his 6-year career in Toronto.

Nylander is a poor man's version of kessel right now. He is playing like 14/15 kessel. He needs to find ways to be much more productive and stop having performances like the one he had against the flyers. His production to pay ratio is scary bad right now. If he does not take a big step and ends off with 50 points this year he is going to be valued as a 2nd line player with a bad deal. We would not get much for him in that case. He needs to be either shipped off now while his value is still not fully sunk, or needs to wake up and deliver on his contract.

Incorrect.

Kessel got proper offensive usage relative to the talent he had. Nylander isn't. Nylander proved in his first 2 years that he is full well capable of developing into an elite offensive player (he showed elite production both at ES and PP).

Nylander's development has hit a serious block, and I'm 100% convinced at this point that he has stopped responding to Babcock. It's the same reasoning for Matthews, it doesn't matter what progression he shows in his game, this coach REFUSES to reward them with more opportunity. He'll happily punish them when they have bad stretches, but won't reward them when they have good stretches. You cannot run things this way with young players.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
It's so weird watching "fans" of this team hate our own players to this degree.

Willie's been one of our best forwards overall this season. I'd put Matthews as the best, and after that it's really tough to put anyone over Willie. Not sure what some of you see when you watch games.

Same BS as Gardiner and Kadri, and I'd bet it's a lot of the same posters.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Get used to it folks.

The argument is that you are never going to win the Cup with Kessel pulling the cart. Kessel playing with Bozak led his team on most nights. Nylander playing with Matthews nowhere near the impact Kessel the Leaf had IMO.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Don’t want 7 million dollars warning the bench; if he ain’t putting in the effort and we don’t think he will turn it around in the future then trade him
This is it. Id take it a step further. Nylander shouldn't be put anywhere but the top 6. If he cant cut it because there is someone better, have the stones to trade him. Until then, hope the line builds chemistry. Nylander isn't a rookie anymore. Object lessons like 3rd line deployment is dumb. Kappy has shown himself to be a great third line player. He is thriving there. Didn't look great on the big 6. Right now, he wont give the team any lift anywhere but there.

Reactions: rumman and ToneDog

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
This guys a great figure skater.

P.s. What about dubass' promise to not trade him? What the f*** was that shit.?

Reactions: rumman

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

This is just wrong.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The argument is that you are never going to win the Cup with Kessel pulling the cart. Kessel playing with Bozak led his team on most nights. Nylander playing with Matthews nowhere near the impact Kessel the Leaf had IMO.

What exactly is "pulling the cart"?

The team lacked a #1C, a #1D and a #1G. None of those pieces can "pull the cart" (if it means what I think) all by themselves with those pieces lacking. Kessel eventually got moved to a team who did have those pieces and he played a substantial role in winning the cup for them.

One of the correct things this management is doing is not making any ridiculous knee-jerk reactions trading an elite offensive talent in Nylander for peanuts just because he's had some rough stretches.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Kessel now is better than Nylander will ever be. Kessel in his prime is a total insult. Nylander isn't even going to be as good as his dad.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
One of Babcock or Nylander need to go. If you stick with Babcock, then what's the point of having a player of his capability and salary not being used properly? As for Nylander, he will thrive under a different coach.

I think if the boomers and Leafs management have their way, Nylander will be gone.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
One of Babcock or Nylander need to go. If you stick with Babcock, then what's the point of having a player of his capability and salary not being used properly? As for Nylander, he will thrive under a different coach.

I think if the boomers and Leafs management have their way, Nylander will be gone.
I don't think we should include management in this. Dubas loves Nylander. Does he love him enough to fire a bad coach? We'll see.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I wanted to trade Willy for Hamilton (instead of Pesce) last year and got laughed at on here. Who is laughing now?

I would have traded Nylander for Hamilton as well. Hamilton, just like Nylander, is hella underrated by the fans. Hamilton's an absolute beast and an analytics stud, he's on the same level as Rielly IMO.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

will Nylander hit the net more often with a coaching change? Asking for a friend...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad