Nylander Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This is just wrong.
It's an insult to compare nylander and kessel rn. There is nothing wrong with saying kessel was a couple tiers above him as a player. Toronto kessel is probably better than current marner as well. People forget how good he was. It should not be a debate to take 23 kessel over 23 nylander.

Kessel was a ppg player with Tyler bozak. Nylander cant produce that level or really close to it with Matthews.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Nylander was constantly poor last night. It was not that one mistake. He did not create chances and was floating on the ice.

Nylander was benched for 1 shift and came right back on. The announcers overplayed the benching aspect. He was put right back in b/c he is a talented player who can create offense. He failed to do so after coming back in though and next game will get a chance to put behind his terrible game. If that level of play continues he should be demoted down the lineup.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The 2nd best player on the team this season, but people just point out one think to criticize him.
He may be top 5 at this point but 2nd is overating him.

Marner/Matthew's
Matthews/Marner
Reilly
Muzzin
Than nylander/mik

Have clearly been better than him. People looking to crap on marner are running out of chances with his play recently improving and production continuing to be strong.

Nylander had a strong first 5 games and then a mediocre set of 4. Now he is shifting between great and crap one game to the next. He needs to find consistency and be able to produce as we are getting healthier. His line will not get main matchups with JT coming back so he should have more chance to produce. But 9 points in 15 games is unacceptable

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Incorrect.

Kessel got proper offensive usage relative to the talent he had. Nylander isn't. Nylander proved in his first 2 years that he is full well capable of developing into an elite offensive player (he showed elite production both at ES and PP).

Nylander's development has hit a serious block, and I'm 100% convinced at this point that he has stopped responding to Babcock. It's the same reasoning for Matthews, it doesn't matter what progression he shows in his game, this coach REFUSES to reward them with more opportunity. He'll happily punish them when they have bad stretches, but won't reward them when they have good stretches. You cannot run things this way with young players.
You seem to be 100 percent sure of a lot of things. Everyone can be traded and you frankly are clueless what’s going on in the dressing room.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Apparently hitting the net isnt an important characteristic to be called one of the best forwards on the team.
He’s below league average shooting percentage for his career. As an astute article pointed out earlier, perhaps people need to stop assuming he will start potting more and just accept reality. Only Gauthier of our forwards has a a career shooting percentage below Willie, and it’s close. It blows my mind, given he can put some mustard on his shot, he gets it off pretty quick, and yet.

Also, he’s on pace for 49 points, he’s a purely offensive player, so to keep saying he’s been a top performer is a bit weird. It’s the same mentality that tried to make awful look passable last year. Why always exaggerate?

Willie was our best forward against Washington and that was a gritty contest. It’s all about consistency with him and it’s still an issue. People like to cherry pick, on both sides to be fair, but taken in totality, it really hasn’t been an exceptional start. Great flashes, then on the perimeter, driving the net, then curling into low percentage land. Will it come? It very well could.

He gets a B so far from me....

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He’s below league average shooting percentage for his career. As an astute article pointed out earlier, perhaps people need to stop assuming he will start potting more and just accept reality. Only Gauthier of our forwards has a a career shooting percentage below Willie, and it’s close. It blows my mind, given he can put some mustard on his shot, he gets it off pretty quick, and yet.

Also, he’s on pace for 49 points, he’s a purely offensive player, so to keep saying he’s been a top performer is a bit weird. It’s the same mentality that tried to make awful look passable last year. Why always exaggerate?

Willie was our best forward against Washington and that was a gritty contest. It’s all about consistency with him and it’s still an issue. People like to cherry pick, on both sides to be fair, but taken in totality, it really hasn’t been an exceptional start. Great flashes, then on the perimeter, driving the net, then curling into low percentage land. Will it come? It very well could.

the more I watch him play the more I'm convinced padding his stats is more important than playing the game. Although he can't hit the net or put up points so I could be wrong about that?

Reactions: DavePoulin4PM

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Im not advocating that the leafs trade him at all. What makes me scratch my head is how people can reconcile their claim that he has been the second best forward on the team with what we have seen. It just doesnt make sense. It also doesnt make sense that there are people valuing his output per contract dollars as a bargain compared to greedy guys like Marner. I wouldnt put Nylanders body of work above 5th best forward so far this year

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Nylander is not getting you close to either brother.
Agreed. Exactly why I added Lily/ Bracco in the proposal for Brady Tkachuk. Nylander + Bracco/Lily for Brady Tkachuk doesn't seem that far fetched but I agree they'd have little to no reason to go for it. It was just food for thought/me dreaming of players with passion lol

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

For only one of those players is the problem compete level. Accidentally high sticking or getting your stick stuck in the other players legs happens sometimes. Benching someone won't really change it. But not even trying? That HAS to be benched.

Matthews is guilty of it sometimes as well. But you can't really bench your "franchise" player.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
For only one of those players is the problem compete level. Accidentally high sticking or getting your stick stuck in the other players legs happens sometimes. Benching someone won't really change it. But not even trying? That HAS to be benched.

Matthews is guilty of it sometimes as well. But you can't really bench your "franchise" player.

A player who has never responded well to Babcock's weird benching or Babcock's antics, should be benched to be taught a lesson? That just seems like poor coaching

Reactions: ZEBROA

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
the more I watch him play the more I'm convinced padding his stats is more important than playing the game. Although he can't hit the net or put up points so I could be wrong about that?

You think Nylander wants to pad his stats :laugh: What.

In Nylander's best game this season where he dominated (Washington), he had 1 point. Just take that in for a second. The game that even Nylander's dislikers loved, he got just 1 point. Does that scream "I want to pad my stats" to you?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nylander's sort of the anti Marner in terms of production. He's not nearly as ineffective as his numbers would suggest but he doesn't get on the board.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Could TOR get the same for Nylander?

giphy.gif

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
A player who has never responded well to Babcock's weird benching or Babcock's antics, should be benched to be taught a lesson? That just seems like poor coaching
How should one handle a player who's floating around without caring? I have no idea.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You think Nylander wants to pad his stats :laugh: What.

In Nylander's best game this season where he dominated (Washington), he had 1 point. Just take that in for a second. The game that even Nylander's dislikers loved, he got just 1 point. Does that scream "I want to pad my stats" to you?
sorry I was referring to Dubas' bible: "Advance Stats."

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You seem to be 100 percent sure of a lot of things. Everyone can be traded and you frankly are clueless what’s going on in the dressing room.
Nobody is untouchable.
For 100 years a team has won the Cup without Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander.
Gretzky never won the Cup without the Oilers but the Oilers won the Cup without Gretzky.
Nobody.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Dreger just called Nylander a support player and not a star player, like Kessel. Big cap hit for the supporting cast.

Reactions: rumman

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
He may be top 5 at this point but 2nd is overating him.

Marner/Matthew's
Matthews/Marner
Reilly
Muzzin
Than nylander/mik

Have clearly been better than him. People looking to crap on marner are running out of chances with his play recently improving and production continuing to be strong.

Nylander had a strong first 5 games and then a mediocre set of 4. Now he is shifting between great and crap one game to the next. He needs to find consistency and be able to produce as we are getting healthier. His line will not get main matchups with JT coming back so he should have more chance to produce. But 9 points in 15 games is unacceptable
Im sorry but mitch has not been better and has directly cost us two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad