Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Ryan Pulock signs extension with the Islanders (8 years, $6.15M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
?

Damon Severson is a comparable defenseman, and away from another stud is only a #3

“ only a #3” Thats a top 4 defenseman. A 27 year old #3 defenseman for 8 years at under $6mil AAV would still be terrific. Pulock is a legit top pair guy. One of the most stunning things about him is that he was drafted as an offensive defenseman but he’s a legit shutdown guy as well.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
“ only a #3” Thats a top 4 defenseman. A 27 year old #3 defenseman for 8 years at under $6mil AAV would still be terrific. Pulock is a legit top pair guy. One of the most stunning things about him is that he was drafted as an offensive defenseman but he’s a legit shutdown guy as well.
Id disagree on the 'shutdown' guy part- but I stated earlier the contracts is great, practically a steal.

Id have gone two years less but thats moot, and I personally see holes in Pulock's defensive game away from another reliable dman in the dzone, but thats certainly not reason to not sign him. Just my reason for saying he isnt a top pair dman away from Pelech (which in NYs case isnt a problem)

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
I agree. I think the Pulock and Pelech signings are home runs. I just get a little worried to see the 6 - 8 year term being thrown around so regularly.

As you said Lou is operating to win now. Which is exactly my point. He did the same thing in Jersey and it ended up biting him in the long run. Doesn’t matter if the Isles win a cup.

If the Isles win a Cup, absolutely nothing else matters.

Signing 27 yr olds to 8 yr deals at reasonable AAV is somehow a bad thing around here?

The last 4 years of Pelech's deal have a M-NTC. Last 3 years of Pulocks have a M-NTC. If either go south, or its time to rebuild in 5 years, they should be fairly moveable.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I can only look ahead. For Pulock, let's say he is a 6M cap hit, after year 5, if the Isles are in a retool mode. 3 years for a top pairing D man at 32 should net good assets. I agree with you it may be problematic if the cap hit was crazy high. But this cap hit is team friendly. Isles will still be in a good position should they need to retool with a trade. Right now, they are locked in with one of the NHL's top shutdown pairings under 12M per. I think if you ask any Isles fan, they would be on board with this.

As I said, Pulock and Pelech’s deals are slam dunks. It is when you start throwing in the Cizikas, Lee, etc. deals that you start painting a situation where you get locked in.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Nurse signed for 8 years. Trouba for 7 years. Jones is a different level but he was 8 years.

8 years doesn’t bring a prime top pairing defenseman who shoots Right in at under $6mil AAV. That’s not 8 years.

You guys have your top pairing, which is also one of best defensive pairings in the league, locked up for $12 mil total for the next decade.

Insane.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
If the Isles win a Cup, absolutely nothing else matters.

Signing 27 yr olds to 8 yr deals at reasonable AAV is somehow a bad thing around here?

The last 4 years of Pelech's deal have a M-NTC. Last 3 years of Pulocks have a M-NTC. If either go south, or its time to rebuild in 5 years, they should be fairly moveable.

I 100% agree. Lou wins a cup nobody gives a shit. The issue is when you are a great playoff team that can’t make the final dance and you double down on it. Maybe it works out. I think the Isles have a great squad.

I also think Lou’s love of “his guys” and veterans is part of the reason they aren’t making it to the final dance.

To be fair, Pelech and Pulock’s deals are pretty much home runs IMO.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
As I said, Pulock and Pelech’s deals are slam dunks. It is when you start throwing in the Cizikas, Lee, etc. deals that you start painting a situation where you get locked in.

That $2.5M AAV with no trade protection for Casey is a real back-breaker. Eminently buryable if need be.

$7M AAV is a little more than ideal for Anders, but he wears the C, and is a huge part of the chemistry that is getting these guys like Pelech and Pulock to buy in and not test free agency.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I 100% agree. Lou wins a cup nobody gives a shit. The issue is when you are a great playoff team that can’t make the final dance and you double down on it. Maybe it works out. I think the Isles have a great squad.

I also think Lou’s love of “his guys” and veterans is part of the reason they aren’t making it to the final dance.

To be fair, Pelech and Pulock’s deals are pretty much home runs IMO.
I don’t think that’s the problem at all

I think the problem was their top line winger and captain injured his knee

Reactions: xECK29x

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lee is the Isles Captain and usually top goal scorer on the team. He is the leader of the team and brings intangibles easily worth 7M per. Which is also the highest cap hit tied with Barzal on the team currently, Isles are built with depth, not top heavy bottom light roster construction. They can spread the money around, at worst this was a fair deal, he was a UFA that could have signed for more. Isles really missed him in the playoffs last year despite being a game shy of the cup finals. Cizikas took almost a 1M dollar shave to his AVV to help the team. Lou rewarded him with term. There are pros and cons to this, but you make it sound like it is just con. Isles 4th line is not like any other 4th line. Trotz leans on them heavily. There are no perfect contracts, only ones that player and team find middle ground on. In Cizikas case he too could have left, but took a discount on AVV to help the team, Lou gave a loyal soldier that bleeds Isles blood more term. Not the end of the world.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I agree. I think the Pulock and Pelech signings are home runs. I just get a little worried to see the 6 - 8 year term being thrown around so regularly.

As you said Lou is operating to win now. Which is exactly my point. He did the same thing in Jersey and it ended up biting him in the long run. Doesn’t matter if the Isles win a cup.

The GM of the New York Islanders (whether it’s Lou or not) should be operating to win now. Part of “winning now” is knowing which players to “buy out” a few extra years off of in a long term contract to keep the AAV down. Not only does this help you build the deepest team, but also shed contract the more easily if need be.

What extends windows is the ability to fill holes with cheaper alternatives (the most sustainable way is through the draft) when expensive contracts price themselves off the team (for NYI’s case Eberle, Leddy with ???).

Since NHL drafting is still very hit or miss even today (and injuries long-term freak in the NHL are somewhat prevalent compared to it’s counterpart leagues), it’s very reasonable that good, talented GMs eventually “run out of luck” and the window closes (leaving their tenure open to extensive criticism).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
That $2.5M AAV with no trade protection for Casey is a real back-breaker. Eminently buryable if need be.

$7M AAV is a little more than ideal for Anders, but he wears the C, and is a huge part of the chemistry that is getting these guys like Pelech and Pulock to buy in and not test free agency.

I mean, you can be cocky about the deals. Championship squads or those that have recent success always are. Penguins fans defended Hornqvist’s deal. Washington fans defended Oshie’s. Chicago with Bickell. LA with Brown.

These things add up. And that was my only point.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
The GM of the New York Islanders (whether it’s Lou or not) should be operating to win now. Part of “winning now” is knowing which players to “buy out” a few extra years off of in a long term contract to keep the AAV down. Not only does this help you build the deepest team, but also shed contract the more easily if need be.

What extends windows is the ability to fill holes with cheaper alternatives (the most sustainable way is through the draft) when expensive contracts price themselves off the team (for NYI’s case Eberle, Leddy with ???).

Since NHL drafting is still very hit or miss even today (and injuries long-term freak in the NHL are somewhat prevalent compared to it’s counterpart leagues), it’s very reasonable that good, talented GMs eventually “run out of luck” and the window closes (leaving their tenure open to extensive criticism).

I agree with your overall point, but the type of term that has been given throughout their line up prevents the concept of cheap depth as you are arguing.

6 forwards are making over 4 mil and are signed for the next three years at minimum. And none of them are named Barzal.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
What a steal of a contract. Tampa and NYI have this buy-in culture.

Last edited:
Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad