Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] F Pierre Engvall re-signs with the Islanders (7 years, $3M AAV)

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The main flaw with Engvall is he is prone to floating for long stretches of time. That is what scares me of giving so much term. Engvall is 27. This is the last contract he likely signs in the NHL. He has made it. The middle of that contract is going to be ugly potentially when the Islanders are in a rebuild they are obviously heading for and he has nothing to play for.
They're probably going to end up like the Blues but with less NTC's. They'll compete but you know they'll need to add in more youth eventually.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I wasn't speculating on exciting players, just noting that the contract and Engvall doesn't excite me
I still don't really get the complaint. Do you expect a UFA who is willing to sign a contract at a below average salary to excite you? I can't think of any players that were realistically expected to produce at an exciting rate that were willing to sign as UFAs for below average salaries. It may not be exciting, but getting average players at below average AAVs is beneficial to a team. No team can afford to fill out a full roster with all exciting players.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Islanders players don’t get that. They get the “too long for too much money” treatment.

Let’s not kid ourselves…imagine if the Leafs re-signed him to this deal, the reaction would be much more exaggerated and negative than it already is. that said' it's still a silly deal imo no matter the team signing it.

Where's all of the: "this deal will look better in a couple years when the cap goes up" crowd?

Seems like they pick and choose when to use it.

Imo, that's usually reserved for overpaying a better player like a top4d or top6F.

Engvall is a limited albeit solid middle 6 guy but it's just really strange to sign him until the end of this decade, when he's not particularly young at 27.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I still don't really get the complaint. Do you expect a UFA who is willing to sign a contract at a below average salary to excite you? I can't think of any players that were realistically expected to produce at an exciting rate that were willing to sign as UFAs for below average salaries. It may not be exciting, but getting average players at below average AAVs is beneficial to a team. No team can afford to fill out a full roster with all exciting player

I still don't really get the complaint. Do you expect a UFA who is willing to sign a contract at a below average salary to excite you? I can't think of any players that were realistically expected to produce at an exciting rate that were willing to sign as UFAs for below average salaries. It may not be exciting, but getting average players at below average AAVs is beneficial to a team. No team can afford to fill out a full roster with all exciting players.
no complaint. just not a fan. maybe he'll perform well and surprise me

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Engvall is a really disappointing player honestly given his physical gifts and I'm pretty surprised a guy like that gets a 7 year deal.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Expressing that something is dissatisfying to you is literally a complaint, but all right.
I never said I was dissatisfied. I just said I was dubious and that time would tell. In the grand scheme of it all, I really don't care. My life stays the same whether he scores 50 or drops dead.

Reactions: Big L

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I never said I was dissatisfied. I just said I was dubious and that time would tell. In the grand scheme of it all, I really don't care. My life stays the same whether he scores 50 or drops dead.
I'm confused, when you posted "40 points? Wow. OH GOODIE!!" was that not sarcastic? Or was that supposed to indicate that you would be satisfied with him scoring 40 pts? It certainly came across as sarcastic, but I've been wrong on that online before.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I'm confused, when you posted "40 points? Wow. OH GOODIE!!" was that not sarcastic? Or was that supposed to indicate that you would be satisfied with him scoring 40 pts? It certainly came across as sarcastic, but I've been wrong on that online before.
probably more sarcastic than not in response to the gent to said he'd produce at that level. a 40 point guy on an average team is just not something I see as top shelf. I guess I was more responding to the post coming from that angle

as I've told others, I make mockery about most things as I'm a subway/schoolyard rat from Brooklyn USA (it's a culture with that old gang of mine), ....and in combo with the doctor prescribed stress reduction tablets, it helps me maintain a level of sanity

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to be polite and answer your posts

let's hope Engie goes ape shit wild and makes this more moot than it already is

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Haha, people are still talking about Pierre Engvall.

Honestly, he's a decent player. With 32 teams you're gonna have a lot of average players in the league.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If he ends up a good top 9 option for the next 4 years, it's probably good deal.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Engvall is a really disappointing player honestly given his physical gifts and I'm pretty surprised a guy like that gets a 7 year deal.
For 3.6% of the current cap at 3m per for his current projection of 15 and 17 goals in his last 2 seasons as primarily a PK and 5 on 5 bottom 6 player. The AVV is actually very good. The price to lower the AVV is that it is probably 2 years too long. Give and take here with agent and GM to compromise in this situation.

I agree in that for such a small 3.6% cap hit, 10 pages of discussion is a surprise.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
For 3.6% of the current cap at 3m per for his current projection of 15 and 17 goals in his last 2 seasons as primarily a PK and 5 on 5 bottom 6 player. The AVV is actually very good. The price to lower the AVV is that it is probably 2 years too long. Give and take here with agent and GM to compromise in this situation.
I'm not concerned about the contract. I think signing a player like this for 7 years feels bad because it feels like a commitment to mediocrity, and then only because of the context that the Islanders failed to address their lack of a high-end scoring winger. And right now Engvall seems destined for the 2nd line, not the 3rd.

Still, you said PK in connection with Engvall, and that's something NYI fans haven't seen yet. One would think with his size, and mobility he'd have what it takes to be a very good penalty killer. But we haven't seen him play there. I think it became clear in the playoffs that Cal Clutterbuck's days on the PK are ending. NYI need new PK options to go along with Cizikas and Pageau.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I have far more concerning moves and non-moves by Lou floating around in my head.

Like many here, I feel the deal is fine for 4 years. 7 is ridiculous but Lou does Lou.

The argument that the cap will rise and deals like this can be buried, flipped or bought out infuriates me as a fan. You can use that argument for one or two deals but not for….every…..single….contract.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I think you're seeing GMs wanting to lock solid depth players in long term before the cap jumps 25+ million in a couple years and third line players are all going to be making 5+ and anytop line player is gonna be wanting 12+.

Pain now, for flexibility in 5 years
I really do like Engvall, I've been watching him since he was a Marlie and he is a really good depth player but he isn't physical and he doesn't provide much offense, once his speed starts slowing down he is going to be absolutely worthless really quickly

Reactions: kevsh

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
He makes peanuts per year and is still on the right side of 30.

This thread is full of overreaction.
Look at where Engvall signed and who the people are fans of that are overreacting. It’s the same peanut gallery that tries to bash every move the Islanders make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad