Proposal: Nyi-edm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yeah, well good luck with Yak :popcorn:

Press has reported that the isles rejected trade attempts by for Strome , in Nov. 2015 and after the 2016 playoffs.

Both the nyi player and front office , have indicated they are looking for him to play a key role next season and having seen Brock Nelson sign just before training camp last season, Isle fans should not be stressed if Strome's new bridge contract does not get done until the start of camp .

Here a little quote from a recent article .

"Obviously, it’s no secret that Yakupov plays better wth McDavid down the middle. Not only does Yakupov boast a 3.84 goals for per 60 with McDavid, but he also posts a 3.4 relative Corsi and a 59.73 Corsi for percentage. This makes him and McDavid a powerful combination, as well as one of the most lethal ones in the NHL."

His numbers are slightly lower with Draisaitl . Mind you very small sample size and terrible with anyone else . Here a little more from that article base on his play with Letestu . Letestu is his main partner .

"When you look at the next best centre for Yakupov, McLellan has paired him wth Mark Letestu, who has added insult to injury when it comes to Yakupov’s performance. With Letestu, the 22-year-old winger has a -3.63 relative Corsi and a 2.24 GF/60, along with a 50.66 Corsi percentage."

Last edited by a moderator:

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

"Obviously, it’s no secret that Yakupov plays better wth McDavid down the middle. Not only does Yakupov boast a 3.84 goals for per 60 with McDavid, but he also posts a 3.4 relative Corsi and a 59.73 Corsi for percentage. This makes him and McDavid a powerful combination, as well as one of the most lethal ones in the NHL."

His numbers are slightly lower with Draisaitl . Mind you very small sample size and terrible with anyone else . Here a little more from that article base on his play with Letestu . Letestu is his main partner .

"When you look at the next best centre for Yakupov, McLellan has paired him wth Mark Letestu, who has added insult to injury when it comes to Yakupov’s performance. With Letestu, the 22-year-old winger has a -3.63 relative Corsi and a 2.24 GF/60, along with a 50.66 Corsi percentage."

Can I see other player's Corsi with mcdavid and such? Any player you put with McDavid will be one of the most powerful combinations.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
There's just a simple reason why Snow wouldn't do this. Yakupov makes 2.5M when Snow might sign Strome for half of that.

Snow could play Strome's situation same as he did with Bailey. Bailey didn't sign his qualifier after his ELC expired. His agent then signed a 2 year extension on the last possible day for peanuts.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I hate the isles, but in what world does yak get you strome? Yak was supposedly available for a 3rd at the draft.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Again, not lobbying for this trade and admit Strome has the higher value, but you seriously don't think Yak is an upgrade in certain areas? Strome definitely has the hockey sense area by a considerable amount, but I honestly can't think of another area where Strome would grade higher when it comes to skill set.

During Strome's 50 pt season, he was getting a lot of props from the coaches and media for his strong defensive game. He also plays with a surprising physical edge, not backing away from attempts to physically intimidate him.

So no I don't see Yak as an upgrade in anyway.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I could probably put up pts next to McDavid.

Unless McDavid is on his way to Brooklyn too,I don't see the point you are trying to make.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

I agree that NYI shouldn't trade Strome, and I'd bet on Strome over Yakupov for sure but gotta be pretty stupid to think their values are in different stratospheres. Compare Yak's rookie season to Strome's season last year and compare their most recent seasons. I'd prefer the RH guy with the ability to play centre but let's not lie to ourselves. I bet on Strome breaking out over Yak, and he could not be in the same breath in a year but as of now he is

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

those possession numbers are off, unless they're all situations that is which wouldn't make sense

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
who said this?

Matheson is just one writer , who this off season has written about how low Yak' trade value is .
In a July 2016 Journal article, he pointed out that it is a combination of Yak's poor development and the upcoming expansion draft.

I have no interest in debating whether or not Yak can turn things around next to McDavid.
I am just pointing out the nyi have rejected gms calling for Strome, with the media saying Snow has no interest in trading Strome. So it hardly matters what opposing fans or GMs think he is worth.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Matheson is just one writer , who this off season has written about how low Yak' trade value is .
In a July 2016 Journal article, he pointed out that it is a combination of Yak's poor development and the upcoming expansion draft.

I have no interest in debating whether or not Yak can turn things around next to McDavid.
I am just pointing out the nyi have rejected gms calling for Strome, with the media saying Snow has no interest in trading Strome. So it hardly matters what opposing fans or GMs think he is worth.

are their development curves not really similar? and would both not be expansion fodder? if he went to EDM he's not being protected over Drai/RNH/Lucic/Eberle

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
are their development curves not really similar? and would both not be expansion fodder? if he went to EDM he's not being protected over Drai/RNH/Lucic/Eberle

In 2 full nhl seasons,Strome has had 1 impressive season and 1 crap season.

Isles knowing the expansion draft is coming, have rejected opposing GMs calls to trade for Strome
Both in Nov. 2015 and after the 2016 playoffs. Isles look like they will protect Strome. Can Oilers fans make the same comment about Yak and the Oilers?

Unlike Yak, Strome has said hs lousy season is totally on him and he will work hard in the off season , has indicated he looks forward to being an isle next season.I make that last point because during the playoofs, Strome was a healthy scratch 2x and HF's armchair GMs insisted he would demand a trade or the isles would dump him ( cheaply of course) :sarcasm:

So no, their front offices do not value them the same way. Oilers have reportedly shopped Yak an found very low trade value. Isles have reportedly had other teams calling and pushing for Strome, whose upside the isles stil highly value and who the isles don't want to move.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If the Islanders want to dump Strome I'd be happy to send a draft pick from the Flames. It won't hurt your cap or your team on the ice. Yakupov hurts in both those areas. He's not an NHL hockey player in any way, shape or form. Smart teams wouldn't take him on waivers.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If the Islanders want to dump Strome I'd be happy to send a draft pick from the Flames. It won't hurt your cap or your team on the ice. Yakupov hurts in both those areas. He's not an NHL hockey player in any way, shape or form. Smart teams wouldn't take him on waivers.

And if the Flames have a 22/23 yr old bluechipper, who they would like to move for a isles draft pick,I am sure Snow would have interest.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I know others value Strome higher, but as an Isles fan even I know his value is low right now. I guess it depends on what your offering.

Seriously? Even as NYR i would feel bad if you traded Strome for Yak lol. You can get alot more for Strome than Yak. Yak is a 30 point horrible twoway player. If he wasnt a high pick he would be long gone. With that said, i think he will score atleast 40 points next season if they put him on a line with Mcdavid and all EDM fans will say that he isnt a bust anymore just like they tried to do when Mcdavid handed him 20 points or something this season.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
I would keep Yak, I think he's the more skilled player. If he plays with any center other than Letestu, he's going to have a good year.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Their dev curves are not similar.... we're still waiting for Yak to have a season like Strome did in his rookie year. Yak has had a lot more time in the league and hasn't matched Stromes best out of his two seasons. His 2nd season, which we all agree was a disappointment, was still better than half the years Yakupov has had.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

If you don't think Yakupov will ever improve then you might as well trade him for a 3rd or a 7th or waiver him....whatever.

IF you think he can improve and get back to leading his team in goals and leading his draft class in scoring then you probably hang on to him.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Strome is worth more for sure considering Yakupov current value.
Big Yak fan though so I'm happy with him staying an Oiler.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If you don't think Yakupov will ever improve then you might as well trade him for a 3rd or a 7th or waiver him....whatever.

IF you think he can improve and get back to leading his team in goals and leading his draft class in scoring then you probably hang on to him.

Why trade him for 3rd even if he doesn't improve? He would be an ideal candidate for Oilers to give up to Las Vegas next off season even if he doesn't improve.
Pretty sure there wouldn't be many young guns with top line potential available in expansion draft.. Exposing Y
AK will help save quality depth guys like Pouliot Maroon and Davidson from getting snatched by LV.

If I am LV I pick this enigma over low key guys like Maroon or Davidson and find depth guys from other teams. Strome could be in the same boat.. Expansion draft bait.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

In 2 full nhl seasons,Strome has had 1 impressive season and 1 crap season.

Isles knowing the expansion draft is coming, have rejected opposing GMs calls to trade for Strome
Both in Nov. 2015 and after the 2016 playoffs. Isles look like they will protect Strome. Can Oilers fans make the same comment about Yak and the Oilers?

Unlike Yak, Strome has said hs lousy season is totally on him and he will work hard in the off season , has indicated he looks forward to being an isle next season.I make that last point because during the playoofs, Strome was a healthy scratch 2x and HF's armchair GMs insisted he would demand a trade or the isles would dump him ( cheaply of course) :sarcasm:

So no, their front offices do not value them the same way. Oilers have reportedly shopped Yak an found very low trade value. Isles have reportedly had other teams calling and pushing for Strome, whose upside the isles stil highly value and who the isles don't want to move.

seems to be a ton of speculation and heresay, as well I don't think I've ever seen a player come off a lousy season and blame the organization

Strome has 1 good season, 1 lousy but was in the NHL 2 years after Yak despite being a draft year earlier. No credit there?

"oilers are reportedly waiting for a blow away offer on Yak while the isles seemingly have soured on Strome" we can say things however we want, right? just narratives

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Their dev curves are not similar.... we're still waiting for Yak to have a season like Strome did in his rookie year. Yak has had a lot more time in the league and hasn't matched Stromes best out of his two seasons. His 2nd season, which we all agree was a disappointment, was still better than half the years Yakupov has had.

I would say Yak and Strome's rookie years are actually rather comparable. Yak's PPG: 0.646, Strome's PPG 0.617. Yak was 19 and Strome was 21 so take that as you will.

Strome's 0.39 PPG this past season matches Yak's 0.39 PPG the past 3 seasons so not sure where that sentiment comes from. partiality?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
seems to be a ton of speculation and heresay, as well I don't think I've ever seen a player come off a lousy season and blame the organization

Strome has 1 good season, 1 lousy but was in the NHL 2 years after Yak despite being a draft year earlier. No credit there?

"oilers are reportedly waiting for a blow away offer on Yak while the isles seemingly have soured on Strome" we can say things however we want, right? just narratives

Press reported in Nov 2015 and after the 2016 playoffs that the isles were shutting down other teams who were calling,asking if Strome were available.
According to the press, the isles have no interest in trading Strome.

The Canadian press meanwhile, has reported the Oilers have shopped Yak and found trade value to be very low because of his development and the upcoming expansion draft.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/bl...lers-forward-nail-yakupovs-trade-value-so-low

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad