Confirmed Trade: [NYI/CHI] #18 and #50 for #20, #54, and #61 (ALL '24 Picks)

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

Fascinating. NFL has a trade chart with the more knowns and how much a pick on average is worth. Its very interesting. NHL is a bit more of a crap shoot but moving up costs.
The Sound Of Hockey draft value chart has the net of these picks as a "win" by the isles to the tune of a 4th rounder. I think the team moving the higher pick(s) is supposed to "win" this kind of a deal and maybe by a little bit more than this.

From the Hawks perspective, they have taken SIXTEEN players in the top 100 in the last 2 drafts and were slated to take 7 more this draft and 10 over the next 2. At some point, you only have so many pro roster spots for all these picks to slide into and you risk losing guys that will simply not sign and wait to become UFA's because there is no path forward with the team that took you.

If you look at mock drafts as a Hawk fan (& I have) the guys I would love to have a shot at always seem to go a spot or 2 in front of 20....like Jiricek and Bradsegg-Nygard. I also suspect this is step 1 and the Hawks may be trying to move up a few more spots.

Yep why not go for prospects you absolutely want over just more draft picks you won't get to keep.
I love this for the Hawks.

For those that don't follow the team, they already have A LOT of draft picks made and draft picks to make, with limited availability on contract slots.

This provides them with "better" picks that they can either select a "faller" more easily or as others have said, package picks up to get better quality.

If the Hawks select 2nd and like 12th in this draft, that is amazing for the team and something we really need. Even if it costs them another second.

It is about time the Hawks spent more of their draft capital to acquire better or NHL-established assets.

Agreed. A lot of D in that 8 to 12 ish range. Possibly a second move.

I will let Chicago cook. Let's wait and see what happens.

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
The Sound Of Hockey draft value chart has the net of these picks as a "win" by the isles to the tune of a 4th rounder. I think the team moving the higher pick(s) is supposed to "win" this kind of a deal and maybe by a little bit more than this.

From the Hawks perspective, they have taken SIXTEEN players in the top 100 in the last 2 drafts and were slated to take 7 more this draft and 10 over the next 2. At some point, you only have so many pro roster spots for all these picks to slide into and you risk losing guys that will simply not sign and wait to become UFA's because there is no path forward with the team that took you.

If you look at mock drafts as a Hawk fan (& I have) the guys I would love to have a shot at always seem to go a spot or 2 in front of 20....like Jiricek and Bradsegg-Nygard. I also suspect this is step 1 and the Hawks may be trying to move up a few more spots.
The trade value of 18-34-50 = # 10

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'm having a hard time understanding why the Islanders would do this

Islanders doing the trade makes more sense to me than Chicago.

Isles moved down slightly to add a second 2nd round pick—they were missing their 3rd this year and their 2026 2nd is gone.

It’s Chicago that’s a bit more odd to me doing the deal now. Yes they probably have more 2nds than they can use optimally in future drafts, but no urgency to make a move now.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Odd timing, but i suppose work well for both teams.

Chicago is loaded with top 64 picks in the next two drafts, and improves two of them this year.
Islander move back a bit on two picks, but gets an extra second to build out their prospect pool

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Islanders need picks. Good move
Chicago needs quality over quantity. They will try to go back up (some trade will be easier with picks 18, 34 and 50) ¿Minnesota?¿San jose?
18 is quality but 20 isnt? You can try and justify as a Hawks fan but it’s a bad move by them.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
1716581798658.png

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
This trade really only makes sense for the Hawks if you share the same thought process/view of the upcoming draft as Hawks management and scouts do and none of us actually know what that thought process is

Grinner

May 31, 2022
It places the Hawks in better position to snag or trade up in case there's a prospect that drops.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Islanders up to somethin
Three way trade between the Isles-Devils-Van City:
Devils get Quinn so he can play with his brothers. Vancouver gets a riot free exit to the playoffs next year (and JGP) and the Islanders get cap relief.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
What a random early trade. Generally you only see this kind of deal if your guy is still on the board

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Three way trade between the Isles-Devils-Van City:
Devils get Quinn so he can play with his brothers. Vancouver gets a riot free exit to the playoffs next year (and JGP) and the Islanders get cap relief.
Lolol imagine the excuses from devils fans when they miss the playoffs with the trio

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Lolol imagine the excuses from devils fans when they miss the playoffs with the trio
They’d be able to finish off the tripod though. Just find Ryan Hughes and have him coach. I don’t think he’s related but the name is similar. They can also bribe Kent Hughes to take over for Fitzgerald. Team motto will be “all your Hughes belong to us”.

Give us the Cup now.
The fans threw that on the ice in the 90s when they blew the lead late that game. It was a canteen which is similar to a cup.

• Haha
Reactions: PhysicalGraffiti

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
I really like such trades. Will be fun to look back in a few years and trying to understand what the Hawks were seeing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad