Confirmed Trade: [NYI/CHI] #18 and #50 for #20, #54, and #61 (ALL '24 Picks)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Don't think I've ever seen a trade up without knowing who is available.....

Does Chicago think there is a clear top 18?

I am confused, but happy with the fleece (as of now).

Reactions: kevistar

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Feels like the Blackhawks or Islanders have a player trade up their sleeve and needed either the higher value picks or more picks to offer in return.

Reactions: Puckrobber

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Isles, wise move to get pick 61 for dropping 2 and 4 spots.
But, it is odd to see swaps of picks 5 weeks before the draft. Haven't even done the combine yet.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Marner extending would be part of any deal with him, regardless of the team he goes to. Also I could see NYI being a good fit, a team with a leadership core already in place and he can just play.
Personally as an Islanders fan, I don’t want pillow soft Mitchell. Costs too much and brings about as much toughness as Pierre Engvall while having 100x more drama and ego then Josh Ho-Sang. Mitch would have to agree to drop his entourage as well as tell his father he’s a full grown adult finally and we both know that isn’t happening.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Personally as an Islanders fan, I don’t want pillow soft Mitchell. Costs too much and brings about as much toughness as Pierre Engvall while having 100x more drama and ego then Josh Ho-Sang. Mitch would have to agree to drop his entourage as well as tell his father he’s a full grown adult finally and we both know that isn’t happening.
Odd, seems to me he is the exact kind of guy they are lacking. They don't need to be tougher or bigger. They need scoring/point getters and he is a really really good one.

The ego and drama is overblown because of the Toronto market.....

Reactions: iggy

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I'm confused at why this deal was made now instead of at the draft. Usually it's because there's a guy they like that's still available so unless this is part 1 of another deal or Chicago knows exactly who is going to be taken in the first 17 picks, I don't understand why this trade couldn't wait.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Odd, seems to me he is the exact kind of guy they are lacking. They don't need to be tougher or bigger. They need scoring/point getters and he is a really really good one.

The ego and drama is overblown because of the Toronto market.....
Give me Guentzel over Marner. He has connections to the players on the roster and doesn’t bring anywhere near the drama.
The Islanders need one scoring winger and depth pieces who can buy into Roy’s system. Personally I don’t feel like Marner would. Nylander would be a better fit with Barzal and Horvat if we’re talking the “fore four”.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I'm confused at why this deal was made now instead of at the draft. Usually it's because there's a guy they like that's still available so unless this is part 1 of another deal or Chicago knows exactly who is going to be taken in the first 17 picks, I don't understand why this trade couldn't wait.
There has to be something else happening with either team or both maybe. A trade involving only picks now makes zero sense.....

Reactions: canadianmagpie

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
The Sound Of Hockey draft value chart has the net of these picks as a "win" by the isles to the tune of a 4th rounder. I think the team moving the higher pick(s) is supposed to "win" this kind of a deal and maybe by a little bit more than this.

From the Hawks perspective, they have taken SIXTEEN players in the top 100 in the last 2 drafts and were slated to take 7 more this draft and 10 over the next 2. At some point, you only have so many pro roster spots for all these picks to slide into and you risk losing guys that will simply not sign and wait to become UFA's because there is no path forward with the team that took you.

If you look at mock drafts as a Hawk fan (& I have) the guys I would love to have a shot at always seem to go a spot or 2 in front of 20....like Jiricek and Bradsegg-Nygard. I also suspect this is step 1 and the Hawks may be trying to move up a few more spots.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Give me Guentzel over Marner. He has connections to the players on the roster and doesn’t bring anywhere near the drama.
The Islanders need one scoring winger and depth pieces who can buy into Roy’s system. Personally I don’t feel like Marner would. Nylander would be a better fit with Barzal and Horvat if we’re talking the “fore four”.
What drama exactly?

I mean what drama has he caused and not the stuff made up by the Toronto media to get clicks on their twitter.....

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Someone in Chicago’s been spending way too much time in his mother’s basement.

Not exactly “getting your money’s worth.” With so many teams doing 100% in-house scouting these days. There’s a very high chance the player Chicago would want at 18, will be there at 20, and all this guarantees you, is that one of YOUR Top 18 will be there.

The only logical thing would be, let’s say he’s trying to go from 20 to 14 or 15, and those teams didn’t value two late 2nd rounders with 5-6 spots in this draft, and didn’t want to go down past their own Top 18. So Chicago is doing this in stages to get to 14 let’s say. Problem with that is, if they just paid a late 2nd to go up from 20-18, it’s gonna cost them more than just their extra 2nd now, to get to 14 or 15.

This is just someone really, really outthinking a draft board, before the draft ever starts.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Closest I can remember is the Islanders and Blue Jackets making a trade right before the 2009 Draft began. Columbus gave up #16+#77 for #26+#37+#62+#92.

Islanders then traded up to #12 when Minnesota was on the clock and picked Calvin de Haan. Vaguely recall the commentators speculating that the Islanders knew they'd have to leapfrog Florida (#14) to get de Haan.

Columbus would later trade up which negated part of their return. Leafs GM Brian Burke was mic'd up and questioned how much "value" Columbus got. After a day 2 trade up (coincidentally with the Islanders), Columbus turned #16+#77 into #21+#56.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Hawks have too many picks and will have a surplus of contract issues in the future if they keep all of them

Islanders don't have enough picks an need to recoup more players coming in

KD had trouble trading his picks last year to move up, so he does so a bit early.

Just for fun, here are the last 10 61st oa's (the pick KD traded to move up)

Tristan Bertucci
David Goyette
Sean Behrens
Egor Sokolov
Nikita Okhotyuk
Ivan Morozov
Grant Mismash
Kasper Bjorkqvist
Jeremy Bracco
Jonas Johansson

I can't say any of these guys are stars even if a lot of them are promising. Hawks definitely benefit by making their other picks higher in quality

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Bizarre timing on the trade and the Blackhawks way overpaid if I'm reading this right. They gave up a 2nd rounder to move up 2 spots fairly late in the 1st and 4 spots late in the 2nd. Unless they have some intel on somebody being taken at 19 that they might really want it just seems like an odd trade for them. Really good for the Islanders though, almost a free 2nd round pick essentially.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
So drop in both the 1st and 2nd round to pick up an extra late 2nd? Make it make sense.
Extra pick so they have something in the in first 2 rounds incase Lou uses one to move out a cap hit to clear space for a free agent signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad