Confirmed with Link: [NSH/TOR] Franson and Santorelli for Leipsic, Jokinen, 2015 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Hey guys, best of luck with this trade.

Can someone give me a report on Leipsic? How would you grade him as a prospect? What do you think his chances are of making the NHL and in what role will he make it? How long will it take him?

Thanks!

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I haven't seen much of Franson this year, but I struggle to think he's better than Ellis. I guess we'll see.

I'm halfway between "That's it, we're set now" and "We have too many RHD, something big is coming".

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
Another thing worth noting is that Santorelli faced the toughest competition out of all the Toronto forwards, yet was still very productive. He's had a hell of a season all things considered, the offensive numbers could definitely go up given easier competition and a more offensive role.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Underwhelmed.

I like adding Franson for the 1st..

Unless Santorelli has gotten alot better since his past Pred days (which is possible, he's been in the East and I haven't seen him much), then he's useless. I'd rather have kept Leipsic.

Not a fan of this trade, and really hate losing Leipsic. :shakehead

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
I haven't seen much of Franson this year, but I struggle to think he's better than Ellis. I guess we'll see.

I'm halfway between "That's it, we're set now" and "We have too many RHD, something big is coming".

Franson has been much better than Ellis this season, no other way to put it. Along with Phaneuf he faced the toughest competition on a very bad team and still scored at a 50 point pace and was only a -7 while playing 20-25 minutes per game. He has also added a physical element to his game in Toronto.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
This makes the decision to trade Klein stupid bad. I had a strong feeling we were about to add a forward when the lines got shuffled.

We gave up a ton for two nongamebreaking talents. I like both players though. Loved Franson in the offensive end and in the playoffs. Letting Santo go for a fifth was all about Trotz not bending at all for the guy.glad he is back. Any time a first is given up, you want to believe the piece will stick around for more than a year, but we are not going to resign Franson.

This ends our supposed Kessel pursuit I would assume.

I'm not really sure why Poile is so willing to give up draft picks for rentals, but is so hesitant to make hockey trades (Neal trade withstanding.)

We really sold low on Leipsic. Essentially valued him as a 2nd rounder I guess.

Last edited:

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
I definitely saw franson coming here for depth at D. Santa I didn't really see coming and I can understand how upset Oj is but that's just the business of hockey.

So pretty much Ribs is the only center that worked out for us from this offseason signings.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
So 3rd pairing and likely 2nd PP unit duties for Franson (can't see him unseating Weber or Josi on the top PP unit).

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Franson will fit in with Lavi well he likes to pinch, has a good shot is better on the PP than Ellis and Jones. Plus he is a big body.

I am starting to share you big thing coming feeling. An already stacked blueline is moreso now. When you think about it we needed a bottom pair type guy but pick up a top 4 guy. If Ellis or Jones is moved there will still be a need for that bottom pair guy still.

All of this just points to Poile not being done.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I see franson as a quick and talented fix for if Ellis is out long term or just for a cup run. I really doubt we resign him, but Poile is going all out this season. A very late first to make sure we aren't starting 2 of Bitteto/Volchenkov/Bartley is ok in my book. I don't really like getting rid of Leipsic, as he was rumored to have a lot of spark, but ultimately we really have a logjam at the AHL level in forwards right now. Watson/Fiala/Aberg/Ardvisson/Salomaki are all almost ready to contribute in the NHL in at least a limited role. If it means we can get rid of someone abysmal on our bottom 6 for the season where we have a very good chance at making something happen in the playoffs, it might pan out.

I don't hate this trade, don't love it.

Seems like a fair hockey deal though.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I like bringing in Santorelli. Perfect to bolster the 3rd line and he's improved greatly since leaving Nashville. Never felt Trotz gave him a fair shake. His style should mesh well with Lavi.

Not a fan of bringing back Franson. Sure, we needed some depth, but this is overkill and the wrong kind of depth. When you have the best defense in the league, why to do you give up significant assets for more defense? And why do you bring in a player who's bad in his own zone and prone to turnovers? Him and Jones paired together could get ugly.

Hopefully nostalgia isn't clouding Poile's judgement here.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
I think most everyone was expecting a blockbuster if nashville was going to trade with Toronto this trade is meh so it probably means a good trade for both teams.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I think we are putting too much stock in 2nd pair and 3rd pair. We know Weber and Josi are gonna get 25 mins a game. This just allows rather than hide 20 or 64 with Jones 10 mins a game, they will split the 35 mins, which is good for the legs of those guys. We didn't trade for Franson to give him 14 mins a night. Guys are going to have to make the most out of their ice time.

LorenzoVonMatterhorn

Jan 7, 2012
Vancouver
I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised with these two. Realize they have both been on Torontos top line (Franson for a good while, Santo more recently) and have been facing high end competition. With the solid line up in Nashville, they should be facing lower end talent and will do quite well. Best of luck in the playoffs (though secretly hoping for a first round upset for a high pick :sarcasm:)

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Where's Volde ? ... the only way this works is if the Preds win the Cup ... pressure is on Poile.

This is a combination go for it move along with insurance against a defenseman injury during the playoffs. I have no problem with the pieces we moved, although I thought on his own Franson would be worth no more than a second. The increased price I suspect is for taking oj off our hands. We didn't give up anything we are going to miss in the next three or four years. And I would not say we have to win the cup or else this is a bad deal. I don't know if there was a better deal out there or not but making this kind of deal this year is a good thing.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Losing Leipsic sucks but let's face it, he's not guaranteed to have a great nhl career. This trade helps us now. We are in 1st place and added depth and improved our defence, if that was possible. I'm on board with this move.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Franson will be paid well wherever he signs. The one thing the guy has not done is have a chance to play for a cup contender. SO would he take a discount for that, not to mention returning to the team that brought him into the NHL. Right now it is all HF speculation. It will be good to see the first interview with the guy it will speak volumes. And you can bet the topic of resigning will come up before he steps on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad