Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] F Steven Stamkos signs with the Predators (4 years, $8M AAV)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Dude... they're not Kucherov. The guy who has 3 of the top 4 assist seasons from a winger all time and just hit 100 assists in a season.

Production will drop. The question is does it drop to 35 goals or 30. The first you can live with. The second is going to be rough.
Why are you looking only at goals? Do you think that Stamkos is just a shooter? He scored 86 points before while scoring only 27 goals.

Preds offense also isn't nearly as bad as what you're insinuating.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
In a vacuum there's nothing wrong at all with the contract.
The only problem like with the other ones Trotz has done since Sarros is so these additions make them cup favourites in the next two years? Because there isn't much coming up and the team has no cap to make any significant adds.
Every team with competitive windows has ageing players that when signed you knew the last year's might suck but the Preds in two years will have almost their entire core 35 and over and it's only for those reasons I question these deals.

That being said at least the team and fans got rewarded for a hell of a run last year.
The fact you keep saying we don't have much coming up just tells me you don't know a thing about our prospects. We actually have a log jam with nowhere to put some of them now. Its one of the reasons Afanasyev wanted out, and one reason we may end up trading a guy like Tomasino.

The only group that may be a bit iffy is on the defensive side of things, but that's mainly because we haven't been using draft picks on too many of them.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Was just reading an article in which Martin St Louis intimated that Stamkos may come to appreciate the move to Nashville. St. Louis had his own move after over a decade, but I think he was the one that wanted out. It is a shame that neither him nor Stamkos ended up as Lightning lifers. I am sure when things are all said and done, Stamkos will probably return and sign a one day contract and retire as a Bolt.

Reactions: Barsky

Barsky

Jun 22, 2010
Why are you looking only at goals? Do you think that Stamkos is just a shooter? He scored 86 points before while scoring only 27 goals.

Preds offense also isn't nearly as bad as what you're insinuating.
Stamkos is absolutely just a shooter, any fan of an Atlantic team with half a brain and one eye could tell you that's been the case for quite some time

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Stamkos is indeed just a shooter. His playmaking, puckhandling, and decision-making are all below average at best.

When you watch Stamkos play over the past few seasons, it really doesn't seem like he really holds the puck for any length of time to even make decisions or have to playmake or puckhandle. He simply can't transport a puck for any distance to even make coherent plays. Still an opportunistic a sniper though.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Extremely predictable , Its really weird , did NSH do this for Jersey sales and star hype? It's headscratching no doubt in the age where anybody can go and scout/watch games of his in the past few years.

Still a good sniper don't get me wrong

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
The fact you keep saying we don't have much coming up just tells me you don't know a thing about our prospects. We actually have a log jam with nowhere to put some of them now. Its one of the reasons Afanasyev wanted out, and one reason we may end up trading a guy like Tomasino.

The only group that may be a bit iffy is on the defensive side of things, but that's mainly because we haven't been using draft picks on too many of them.
Better call up all those prospects I missed since the preds look exactly like I said they were headed for.

Also I don't overrate prospects including my own team and nobody you guys had especially now that Akorov is gone screams difference maker.

Sometimes the truth hurts so you posted from a defensive pov and I get that but a common thing here on HF is how many prospects are gonna be great when the truth is most fall flat on their face

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
He is exactly as Bolts fans said he would be.
It's true.

Whether it's pro scouting or coaching decisions that fly in the face of that, I think the Preds really need to just accept him for what he is. He shouldn't play more than ~17 mins a night. He's fine loading up on the PP. Maybe in a game with a ton of PP time or trailing late his minutes tip up slightly. But you can't ever get carried away like the 23 mins in Game 1.

He has 1 goal (PP) on 22 shots, which isn't going to be his final SPCT. He's not washed or terrible or anything. But he does need to be utilized to his strengths. The Preds paid a UFA premium to pry him out of his Retirement Home, ok. Now they just have to utilize him intelligently to make the most of their overspend investment. He can still be a net positive investment. If they don't get carried away.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad