Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Calle Jarnkrok (6 years, $2M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Great deal for the preds. I guess him and his agent don't think he will improve anymore so they settled for job security with a longer term?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Seems like a stupid deal on Jarnkrok's part. Talk about not betting on yourself. I get that security is nice, but still, seems odd to not think you'll improve and deserve more.

Don't necessarily love this for the Preds either. However, I think it's definitely more of a win for them than the player.

Preds wise it's a good deal. He's a utility player that can move up and down the lineup on wing or center. He also will eat lots of PK minutes.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Has there every been a deal with such a long term for such "little" money?

"Little" is of course relative here.

You don't have to go far to find another good one. Ryan Ellis signed a five-year, 12,5 million deal two years ago.

I kind of hope that Las Vegas doesn't take him, although that term will be very attractive for a team trying to estabilish itself. Would be a shame if Poile's awesome work went undone by someone else taking Jarnkrok for free.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
You don't have to go far to find another good one. Ryan Ellis signed a five-year, 12,5 million deal two years ago.

I kind of hope that Las Vegas doesn't take him, although that term will be very attractive for a team trying to estabilish itself. Would be a shame if Poile's awesome work went undone by someone else taking Jarnkrok for free.

I doubt Jarnkrok gets nabbed up especially with Wilson likely going unprotected.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
In two years he'll either love or hate this contract. Virtually zero incentive to sign at this number for that term with the cap expected to continually rise. He'll be paid like a good 4th liner in the final 3 years of that contract regardless of how he develops.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Looks like he will learn how to kill penalties etc. in the future. :)

Hilarious deal though. These kinds of deals I usually sign my elite prospects to in EHM07 when they want just under a million on a one year prove it contract, but I just give them 8 years at $1.5M-$2.0M.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I doubt Jarnkrok gets nabbed up especially with Wilson likely going unprotected.

Wilson is the better player, I don't disagree, but Las Vegas has to look at things from multiple perspectives. The stability from having a player signed for five more years is huge, when you're a completely new team in Las Vegas (not being stereotypical, but there will be people - including Jarnkrok - who wouldn't like to live there). But then again, the product will be the #1 priority, and that's why they'll likely go with Wilson, since he is one of the best forwards available.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
At first I thought TSN had it wrong. I mean 2m is fine for him. But that term is crazy... why would he sign that? Sure he gets a guaranteed 12m, but the kid is 24 yrs old... does he not have any faith in himself that he can't get better over the next few years?

I mean I get the guys signing for 6 years at 3.5-4m per. It's 20m you're talking about. By the time it's all said and done, you're going to walk away with at least 8-9m after taxes. But 12m? He's going to be 30 and only have gotten 6m or so after taxes.

Good on Nashville, but I think the kid made a massive mistake.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Either he just wants job security or he lacks confidence in himself on being able to improve.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Seems like a stupid deal on Jarnkrok's part. Talk about not betting on yourself. I get that security is nice, but still, seems odd to not think you'll improve and deserve more.

Don't necessarily love this for the Preds either. However, I think it's definitely more of a win for them than the player.

It doesn't always have to be about money. If he likes playing in Nashville and his best friends are in Nashville and he wants to stay long term, why not sign?

JS91

May 14, 2014
That's definitely an odd contract. Maybe Jarnkrok just figured that he'd rather stay in the same city for the next 6 years and get a guaranteed 12 million that will still set him up for life instead of chasing more money and potentially having to move around a lot. If he improves he'll still get a big boy deal when he's 30 and if he doesn't, at least he's set for life.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
A versatile, two-way 24 year old forward who scored 16 goals and 30 points last year, for 6 years at 2 mil per? Amazing contract for the Preds.

The Wings just paid double that for a less productive 29 year old Helm.

Either he just wants job security or he lacks confidence in himself on being able to improve.

Maybe he just really likes playing hockey with his friends on the Preds and isn't motivated by earning the most amount of money possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad