Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Calle Jarnkrok (6 years, $2M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, that's an interesting term.

Preds fans, what's the take on Jarnkrok? Do you consider him top-9 moving forward? Does he have the ability to move up in the lineup?

Seems like Poile really likes his game, given that term and, if he's right, that's a nice cap hit for the longhaul.

He's probably our long-term replacement for Fisher, most see him and Kamenev taking middle-six spots next year. He's played everywhere through the lineup, and did well with Johansen and Neal.

There has to be something special about him, because Lavy, Poile, and even Johansen when they first played together talk the world of him.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com

Preds fans, what's the take on Jarnkrok? Do you consider him top-9 moving forward? Does he have the ability to move up in the lineup?

Seems like Poile really likes his game, given that term and, if he's right, that's a nice cap hit for the longhaul.

He is definitely a top 9 forward. Ideally he's on the third line and playing big PK minutes, but he did move on to our top line due to injuries and went on a bit of a tear last season. He has a high skill level, but strength has been an issue -- he's on the slight side and his shot doesn't have a lot of velocity. If he can improve those things...and I think he already has to some degree..I think he could be a good 2\3 guy that can play any forward position.

He went ice cold in the playoffs, which was troubling.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Weird term... Seems a couple years too long, but I guess if they think he's still got potential to build on, why not?

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid
It's a super weird contract but if you think about it it's the exact contract that he deserves:
- Young and offensive minded center (not a player based on his physical side which could downgrade his play as he gains age) -> 6 years
- Subpar production and with not much upside outside of the third line -> 2 millions

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
I saw the cap hit and thought it was a typical depth signing and then saw the term. Pretty unusual to see such term on a low cap deal. If he breaks out then Preds have a steal of the deal. I guess Calle went with job security.

Jarnkrok, Ekholm and Forsberg are best friends...really family, they go everywhere together. Now they're all on almost the same term. Have to think that has alot to do with this...that and guaranteed money.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville

Rock solid 3rd liner can play wing or center, smart, and good defensively. Also, chipped in on the 1st line from time to time and didn't look terrible, so he's probably got top 6 upside if he continues to improve.

This contract is more than fair, even if he doesn't improve one bit. If he improves at all, then it's a steal.

Honestly, guys worse than him have gotten double. I'm excited as a Preds fan.

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs
He's probably our long-term replacement for Fisher, most see him and Kamenev taking middle-six spots next year. He's played everywhere through the lineup, and did well with Johansen and Neal.

There has to be something special about him, because Lavy, Poile, and even Johansen when they first played together talk the world of him.

He is definitely a top 9 forward. Ideally he's on the third line and playing big PK minutes, but he did move on to our top line due to injuries and went on a bit of a tear last season. He has a high skill level, but strength has been an issue -- he's on the slight side and his shot doesn't have a lot of velocity. If he can improve those things...and I think he already has to some degree..I think he could be a good 2\3 guy that can play any forward position.

He went ice cold in the playoffs, which was troubling.

Thanks for the responses.

In his draft year, I had him pegged at top-6 upside, but I've kinda lost track of him a bit since then. Seems like a very solid deal. Poile is really, really good at his job.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Wouldn't be surprised if he went the typical Nashville route and completely exploded next year.

If they don't expect Jarnkrok to take steps back and feel like he could still improve, why not go long term? Player gets security, team potentially gets a fantastic deal.

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs
Rock solid 3rd liner can play wing or center, smart, and good defensively. Also, chipped in on the 1st line from time to time and didn't look terrible, so he's probably got top 6 upside if he continues to improve.

This contract is more than fair, even if he doesn't improve one bit. If he improves at all, then it's a steal.

Honestly, guys worse than him have gotten double. I'm excited as a Preds fan.

Yep, sounds like a really solid contract.

And the Flyers have one of those worse guys making double (Matt Read).

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Jarnkrok, Ekholm and Forsberg are best friends...really family, they go everywhere together. Now they're all on almost the same term. Have to think that has alot to do with this...that and guaranteed money.

I think this plays into it. All three essentially took long term deals at below market value, all three said early on, "we don't want to be anywhere else, so why drag it out?"

I know the last two seasons they all lived together, I would assume they will again.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010

In his draft year, I had him pegged at top-6 upside, but I've kinda lost track of him a bit since then. Seems like a very solid deal. Poile is really, really good at his job.
Trotz, Poile and Lavy have stated at one time or another that Calle is the smartest player on the team. Has such a high hockey IQ...never out of position, always in the right place. If he could get stronger in his core and learn to use leverage like Forsberg, this contract will be goldmine for the Preds. Well if he's not taken by LV in the expansion draft that is :(

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
giphy.gif

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
It's odd to me that he couldn't leverage his potential into something better than that. He put up 16-14-30 last year - if he's putting up 40-50 points 3 seasons from now at $2 million for another 3 years he's gonna want to give his head a shake.

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs
Trotz, Poile and Lavy have stated at one time or another that Calle is the smartest player on the team. Has such a high hockey IQ...never out of position, always in the right place. If he could get stronger in his core and learn to use leverage like Forsberg, this contract will be goldmine for the Preds. Well if he's not taken by LV in the expansion draft that is :(

Yea, this seems like a deal the Preds can't lose (besides the LV thing).

You mentioned his IQ, and that's one of the things I remember most about him during his draft year. As I said a few posts back, I had him pegged as a future top-6, and if he hits that level on this deal, it turns from very solid to absolutely incredible. This is a great upside deal by Poile with very little downside at all.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Seems like a stupid deal on Jarnkrok's part. Talk about not betting on yourself. I get that security is nice, but still, seems odd to not think you'll improve and deserve more.

Don't necessarily love this for the Preds either. However, I think it's definitely more of a win for them than the player.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010

hockeyr5

Mar 8, 2009
Has there every been a deal with such a long term for such "little" money?

"Little" is of course relative here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad