North Bay Battalion 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I thought, well I meant to put 17 yr olds picked 1, 2, 3, 3, 3 for Guelph; and yeah Merkley for Gogalev and picks turned out great
It's not only about who they're trading for. It's about who's already on the roster you're adding to. You can easily trade your first in a down year for a player that marginally improves an aspect of your roster. Only for you to get stomped by a deeper roster in the 1st round.

End result? Now you don't have your 1st rounder playing his 17, 18, 19 year old seasons and there's nothing left to show for it.

Reactions: RB76

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It's not only about who they're trading for. It's about who's already on the roster you're adding to. You can easily trade your first in a down year for a player that marginally improves an aspect of your roster. Only for you to get stomped by a deeper roster in the 1st round.

End result? Now you don't have your 1st rounder playing his 17, 18, 19 year old seasons and there's nothing left to show for it.
are you referring to teams in need of a rebuild or a probable contender with the right addition such as the Battalion?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
are you referring to teams in need of a rebuild or a probable contender with the right addition such as the Battalion?
I'm referring to any team that miscalculates the quality of their roster going into a trade deadline.

I admire your optimistic view of this group, but they're not equipped to outspend the teams that are currently well ahead of them in the standings.

A betting man would probably take both Memorial Cup entries coming from the West this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12 and Smithsy

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm referring to any team that miscalculates the quality of their roster going into a trade deadline.

I admire your optimistic view of this group, but they're not equipped to outspend the teams that are currently well ahead of them in the standings.

A betting man would probably take both Memorial Cup entries coming from the West this year.

If the games didn’t have to be played, the championship would have been given to Sarnia last year.
You vastly down play the chances of NB going on another good run. I don’t see the urgency to sell pre-maturely. The Battalion’s next window of opportunity is 2026-27; if things go right.
I think you have look at the rosters of Barrie, Mississauga, Kingston, Hamilton, Oshawa, Niagara, and Ottawa.

Last edited:

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Belair - dirty12....you guys have been going at it pretty good the last couple of weeks. Funny thing is, I agree with both of your arguments! Until someone in the east makes a significant deal, we still have a chance....maybe.....I dunno...lol

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Belair - dirty12....you guys have been going at it pretty good the last couple of weeks. Funny thing is, I agree with both of your arguments! Until someone in the east makes a significant deal, we still have a chance....maybe.....I dunno...lol

It will be a surprise to me if NB sells for less than a Martone like return. It was 20 years between top 5 picked 16 yr olds traded so, ….
Teams with a dozen players on the roster having been a game away from an OHL final just don’t sell

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
It will be a surprise to me if NB sells for less than a Martone like return. It was 20 years between top 5 picked 16 yr olds traded so, ….
Teams with a dozen players on the roster having been a game away from an OHL final just don’t sell
And teams that don’t add at the deadline don’t win titles either.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
And teams that don’t add at the deadline don’t win titles either.

You’re saying NB won’t add, I guess?
The Battalion have one glaring hole; middle six winger. The team has the means to add a forward and a defenseman if chooses to.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
They cannot add in any meaningful way. And they aren’t a middle six winter away from contending. They are several large pieces away.
If by large pieces you mean more pounds on the wing, I do not disagree.
Not only can they add in a meaningful way, if willing to move an '07-1st and '06 D NB can add one the most impactful Fs available and a D

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
If by large pieces you mean more pounds on the wing, I do not disagree.
Not only can they add in a meaningful way, if willing to move an '07-1st and '06 D NB can add one the most impactful Fs available and a D
You still need to send picks in those trades and you have virtually none.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Kingpin adding never worked out for the Spits last season. There are no guarantees in hockey. Run into a hot goalie and any team can be beat.
And the Pete’s added a ton. There’s no guarantee but my point still stands. No one wins a title without adding. Adding requires players AND picks. You aren’t guaranteed to have a good time at the dance but you can’t go if you don’t buy a ticket.

Reactions: howlman and bobber

Smithsy

Oct 20, 2023
They cannot add in any meaningful way. And they aren’t a middle six winter away from contending. They are several large pieces away.
Been watching this discussion as well. NB are a decent mid pack team this year which is pretty good considering they went all in last year. Whether they buy, sell, or stand pat, I don't see them finishing higher than 5th in the East (or lower than 7th) and they will most likely a have a first.......maybe second round playoff exit regardless. They also hold one or two of the biggest assets in the league outside of Owen Beck. Nelson is 100% gone next year, Dom most liekly as well. They could fetch a Mintyukov type return of picks that can be used as currency for years to come.

So ask yourself, do they cash in on those assets now to set your team up for success for the next 3-4 years? Or do you want to keep those players for just 3-4 more months of service and have them graduate with nothing to show for it? Even if they try to buy, this is still just a good team, not a great team, and certainly not a championship team this year. Your entire top line, which is one of the best in the league should all be returning next year, so the future doesn't look too bad at all. Hamilton did a sell and mini rebuild smartly, I think that is a good model to look to for teams in a similar position after a "go for it" year.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
And the Pete’s added a ton. There’s no guarantee but my point still stands. No one wins a title without adding. Adding requires players AND picks. You aren’t guaranteed to have a good time at the dance but you can’t go if you don’t buy a ticket.
You are correct Kingpin. You have to pay to play. HF armchair GMs talk about Beck being the big fish. If he is considered so he will garner a hell of a lot of assets either picks or players if they decide to trade him. Not sure every contending OHL GM thinks Beck is what they need going forward.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
This team doesn’t seem as good as last years, imo. And I think it is a good time to sell off while we still can

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Martone was part of a pair of trades that netted the Sting two high end skaters though. Del Mastro and Del Bel Belluz were equal to if not more valuable than Ty Nelson individually.

Just looking at the teams in that top five, it's difficult to see a team that's in the conversation, unless you're thinking Kingston will be offering up Tyler Hopkins.

Quinn Beauchesne fits all the criteria. He's a high pedigree D prospect with three, if not four years of eligibility remaining and he belongs to a team with legitimate Mem Cup aspirations. It fits North Bay's positional needs and fits their timeline.

Reactions: frontsfan67

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
2 2nds which is something. Still doesn’t give you a lot. Also when do you get access to those? When do the conditions expire?
2, 2, 4 picks around february 10 when rosters freeze is when the battalion should get them

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Martone was part of a pair of trades that netted the Sting two high end skaters though. Del Mastro and Del Bel Belluz were equal to if not more valuable than Ty Nelson individually.

Just looking at the teams in that top five, it's difficult to see a team that's in the conversation, unless you're thinking Kingston will be offering up Tyler Hopkins.

Quinn Beauchesne fits all the criteria. He's a high pedigree D prospect with three, if not four years of eligibility remaining and he belongs to a team with legitimate Mem Cup aspirations. It fits North Bay's positional needs and fits their timeline.
beauchense fits none of the criteria until proven 100%

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
beauchense fits none of the criteria until proven 100%
Understandable. But we're talking about a 16 year old kid with less than a dozen games of OHL experience. What's his 100%?

There's definitely a handful of accompanying picks in a trade like that, but he's one of the few guys from the 1st round of that draft that seem to be on the market.

190 is almost 206

Nov 11, 2022
You’re saying NB won’t add, I guess?
The Battalion have one glaring hole; middle six winger. The team has the means to add a forward and a defenseman if chooses to.
Their glaring hole is defensive zone play by their D mostly. Even Christopolous and Mathurin have struggled with it at times.
Nelson played with Lukin and Winslow the last two playoffs, why you ask? They are the two best at it since McIvor left I think. We need one of those types badly if there is any kind of “run” to be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad