North Bay Battalion 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

To be fair, karki plays RD but is a left hand shot. Gibson and virgilio are our only right shot d.
Thanks. Wasn't aware that they changed the rule. I think it was 2018 when they made it 6 IIRC.

Also thought Karki was a righty and Virgilio was a lefty. Pretty sure Elite has him as a lefty. Apologies @Wolfman Jack, maybe there's a possibility Soo considers Nelson assuming Karki can play both sides.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Thanks. Wasn't aware that they changed the rule. I think it was 2018 when they made it 6 IIRC.

Also thought Karki was a righty and Virgilio was a lefty. Pretty sure Elite has hi.m as a lefty. Apologies @Wolfman Jack, maybe there's a possibility Soo considers Nelson assuming Karki can play both sides.

You are probably not wrong about SSM-NB; I would think at the cost, SSM has more interest in Christopolous or Schmidt than a third PP D.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You are probably not wrong about SSM-NB; I would think at the cost, SSM has more interest in Christopolous or Schmidt than a third PP D.
With Poitras being loaned to Canada, Guelph stands out as a potential big buyer if he returns to the OHL after the tournament.

Reactions: Smithsy

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
With Poitras being loaned to Canada, Guelph stands out as a potential big buyer if he returns to the OHL after the tournament.

Likely buyer even if Poitras is not returned.
I can’t say I know what exactly the injury is to Beauchense, but I’d be wary of using Nelson to acquire an already injured 16 yr old D that has not played in 6 weeks.

Reactions: belair

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Likely buyer even if Poitras is not returned.
I can’t say I know what exactly the injury is to Beauchense, but I’d be wary of using Nelson to acquire an already injured 16 yr old D that has not played in 6 weeks.
He's the player I'd want back. Just the player type and the years of eligibility. He's probably going to be a pretty good offensive D in his 17, 18, 19 year old seasons.

For this year I'd think they'd be looking for a short term replacement in another trade though. Depends on who else they'd sell. If they move an OA like Arnsby or Ertel, maybe an OA D comes back.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
For this year I'd think they'd be looking for a short term replacement in another trade though. Depends on who else they'd sell. If they move an OA like Arnsby or Ertel, maybe an OA D comes back.
[/QUOTE]

I would not give up more than long range conditional picks for a 16 yr old hurt after ~10 games and missing the next six weeks, plus break, plus?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I would not give up more than long range conditional picks for a 16 yr old hurt after ~10 games and missing the next six weeks, plus break, plus?
He's probably be the focus of a deal that included a handful of 2nds and 3rds. He's probably the most attractive player asset they have. A 1st round pedigree player with very little OHL mileage and a full three, if not four years of eligibility.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
He's probably be the focus of a deal that included a handful of 2nds and 3rds. He's probably the most attractive player asset they have. A 1st round pedigree player with very little OHL mileage and a full three, if not four years of eligibility.

You need to be sure he is not that near certain all-star like Allen and Mathurin. Hip, shoulder, ankle, wrist; pass.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You're talking chronic? Is there any evidence that's the case?

Is there evidence that there will be absolutely no long term effect?
You need to be certain you are not acquiring a damaged in any way product before trading a star player that you can build around and win now

Last edited:

yacky

Jun 28, 2018
why trade Nelson. If ever we can get Mathurin healthy we can still make a run for the Eastern conference.
We have 19 draft picks next year and the next year, so we are in good shape for the next two drafts.
3 points out of first at the break I still think we go for another run.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
why trade Nelson. If ever we can get Mathurin healthy we can still make a run for the Eastern conference.
We have 19 draft picks next year and the next year, so we are in good shape for the next two drafts.

I think the dozen returned players that lost game seven in the conference final to the OHL champion have another run in them too.

There are way more reasons to add than there are sell imo, but you have to be open to the unlikely and no way certain possibility that some team just might offer the battalion a better chance to win in two years.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Is there evidence that there will be absolutely no long term effect?
You need to be certain you are not acquiring a damaged in any way product before trading a star player that you can build around and win now
I'll leave that to the trainers of both teams. It's just strange that you'd believe a 15 year old's injury would be chronic. A lot of these kids get injured playing hockey. The majority of them recover and play the full four years.

Last edited:
Reactions: StormWatcher

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Because the team is currently under real 0.500 and gives up more goals that it scores. Their special teams aren't performing even with a healthy roster either.

Draft picks aren't just about drafting players. It's trade capital to trade up in years of contention.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Because the team is currently under real 0.500 and gives up more goals that it scores. Their special teams aren't performing even with a healthy roster either.

Draft picks aren't just about drafting players. It's trade capital to trade up in years of contention.

This is a good year to use draft picks for contention. Next year is a a good year to restock draft picks.
I'll leave that to the trainers of both teams. It's just strange that you'd believe a 15 year old's injury would be chronic. A lot of these kids get injured playing hockey. The majority of them recover and play the full four years.

How is difficult to comprehend that I would not exchange a star for a 16 yr old that might be damaged. Rookies receive serious injury far more often than healthy 19 yr olds in the OHL. It’s a reason teams like London and NB coddle their rookies. They don’t want them ruined by overexposure.
He was injured in game 10 missing 20 straight games and counting; and, no concrete evidence that he can be 100%.

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This is a good year to use draft picks for contention. Next year is a a good year to restock draft picks.
Next year is a year when the items we have to trade for value will be gone. The players that bring back the pieces that help you build a contender are Dom and Nelson. They're not coming back. Don't let assets die on the vine.
How is difficult to comprehend that I would not exchange a star for a 16 yr old that might be damaged. Rookies receive serious injury far more often than healthy 19 yr olds in the OHL.
He was injured in game 10 missing 20 straight games and counting; and, no concrete evidence that he can be 100%.
I understand your reasoning. It's the logic I have an issue with. Odds are that this is a 15 year old that got hurt, missed 20 games and will come back and play the next 3 years and potentially get drafted.

Nelson has a few dozen games left of his junior career then he's turning pro. When he leaves, the Battalion get nothing

Reactions: Smithsy

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Next year is a year when the items we have to trade for value will be gone. The players that bring back the pieces that help you build a contender are Dom and Nelson. They're not coming back. Don't let assets die on the vine.

I understand your reasoning. It's the logic I have an issue with. Odds are that this is a 15 year old that got hurt, missed 20 games and will come back and play the next 3 years and potentially get drafted.

Nelson has a few dozen games left of his junior career then he's turning pro. When he leaves, the Battalion get nothing

The Battalion can trade Romani, Wakely, Mathurin. VanSteensel …lots to trade next season.
Odds are a 2 month, possibly more injury to a 16 yr old is serious

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Battalion can trade Romani, Wakely, Mathurin. VanSteensel …lots to trade next season.
Odds are a 2 month, possibly more injury to a 16 yr old is serious
You're not getting a 1st round caliber asset for any of those players though. You're getting a handful of 2nds and 3rds for the lot of them.

Buying this year diminishes the amount of assets you have to build a roster capable of being a championship contender.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You're not getting a 1st round caliber asset for any of those players though. You're getting a handful of 2nds and 3rds for the lot of them.

Buying this year diminishes the amount of assets you have to build a roster capable of being a championship contender.

The proven way to be a serious championship contender is for NB to trade Kostuch. The last six champs traded their 1st, I think. The big sell comes next season.
Three of four conference finalists last season traded their 16 yr old 1st. The other one trade away their 17 yr old 1st & 2nd picks.
The ‘67s tried something different. Instead of moving roster players, they traded 5-2nds, 6-3rds, 4-4ths from their incredible stock pile of picks. They were out in round two.

This is without a doubt in my mind the year NB should be truly all-in. The only things that should deter NB are another lost season of Mathurin and a ridiculous offer for Nelson.
That offer would resemble Martone and a pick or two for DelMastro. That almost limits NB trading Nelson to Kingston for Hopkins or SSM for Martin; or Virgilio & Kostov and a lot of picks.

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Serious contenders aren't sitting at 0.500 prior to buying though. There are teams that are already ahead of the Battalion and they'll add better players at the deadline.

North Bay's all-in year was last season when they had nine NHL prospects on the roster and a ton of 19 and 20 year olds.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
The proven way to be a serious championship contender is for NB to trade Kostuch. The last six champs traded their 1st, I think. The big sell comes next season.
Three of four conference finalists last season traded their 16 yr old 1st. The other one trade away their 17 yr old 1st & 2nd picks.
The ‘67s tried something different. Instead of moving roster players, they traded 5-2nds, 6-3rds, 4-4ths from their incredible stock pile of picks. They were out in round two.

This is without a doubt in my mind the year NB should be truly all-in. The only things that should deter NB are another lost season of Mathurin and a ridiculous offer for Nelson.
That offer would resemble Martone and a pick or two for DelMastro. That almost limits NB trading Nelson to Kingston for Hopkins or SSM for Martin; or Virgilio & Kostov and a lot of picks.

Guelph won in 2019 without trading away their 2018 1st (Chayka), but they traded away Merkley in advance of the deadline so were able to parlay those picks into the big deadline moves.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Guelph won in 2019 without trading away their 2018 1st (Chayka), but they traded away Merkley in advance of the deadline so were able to parlay those picks into the big deadline moves
Nearly. Guelph didn't have to move Chayka in 2018-2019. And London didn't move Bouchard in 2015-2016.
I thought, well I meant to put 17 yr olds picked 1, 2, 3, 3, 3 for Guelph; and yeah Merkley for Gogalev and picks turned out great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad