North Bay Battalion 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That's a shame. It was pretty tough for Nelson to get in on the right side with Luneau, Bonk and big Maveric ahead of him.

Sucks for Dom, too. He's having a rough go of it this year.

Reactions: Uncle

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Quick question for Battalion fans. Where do fans think the Battalion go at the deadline this season? Are they going to make a runs and do they have the assets to bolster the line up? Lots of talk about Nelson being dealt by HF prognosticators and armchair GMs. He is a highly skilled defenseman so naturally everyone wants him on their squad. I don't see any mention of him being dealt by Battalion fans so it begs the question. All the top players in the league have their names bandied around on these boards leading up to the deadline. They call it the deadline because sometimes it ends up just that, dead.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Quick question for Battalion fans. Where do fans think the Battalion go at the deadline this season? Are they going to make a runs and do they have the assets to bolster the line up? Lots of talk about Nelson being dealt by HF prognosticators and armchair GMs. He is a highly skilled defenseman so naturally everyone wants him on their squad. I don't see any mention of him being dealt by Battalion fans so it begs the question. All the top players in the league have their names bandied around on these boards leading up to the deadline. They call it the deadline because sometimes it ends up just that, dead.
With a relatively weak Eastern Conference and NB sitting 3 pts back of 1st, there's so much unknown as a smaller tinker by any of the Eastern Conference teams can throw them to the top of the standings; when you factor in that there's almost an automatic berth potential for the top Eastern Conference team going into the playoffs (if Saginaw makes it all the way to the finals), makes it that much more difficult...

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

There are teams with an ‘06 of ‘07 RD that I think NB would have to consider trading Nelson to; Guelph, SSM, OS, and Mississauga.
But if Mathurin proves healthy and a seller will accept mostly 2026-27 picks, I think NB adds a winger; and, makes a D swap if possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bra Wavers

190 is almost 206

Nov 11, 2022
We have to deal with the 3 headed goalie monster in some fashion. I see Robertson as the odd man out and McIvor gets the net next season. To quote a friend’s observation of the game on Wednesday “If this is what the 24 and 31 less future looks like....” and if that’s accurate next season will be a long one as the Soo’s speed and forecheck spent the majority of the night behind our D.
My best guess is they keep DiVincentiis in the hopes that he can a) mentor McIvor and b) regain his form and carry the team through a round or maybe 2. With Nelson (biggest potential return for anyone on our roster) move him for picks and a D from one of the noted teams above. That along with their current draft pick cupboard and the ones that will be returned from the conditionals in the Fantilli trade they “could” be competitive again next year with a very young team. While I expect Mississauga to dominate the East next year North Bay could get back in the top 4.
Personally, I see coaching as a problem. Dean from the Soo obviously made adjustments after the first period on Wednesday and we rolled out the exact same game plan as we have for 2.5 seasons. There are so many holes in our defensive structure that teams are now figuring out how to beat it. How many back door goals have we seen? How many open opponents standing in the slot in our league end?
It’s easy to coach good teams (the last two seasons) but now that we’re a middle of the road team we’re seeing the same coach that left Flint in his first HC gig?

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Personally, I see coaching as a problem. Dean from the Soo obviously made adjustments after the first period on Wednesday and we rolled out the exact same game plan as we have for 2.5 seasons. There are so many holes in our defensive structure that teams are now figuring out how to beat it. How many back door goals have we seen? How many open opponents standing in the slot in our league end?
One of the very 1st SOG against in the most recent Kingston game made this very apparent. Kingston set up the most obvious cross ice play. Pulled every player out of position, Passing lane opened up immediately for a guy all alone below the dot. They didn't score but you could see the set up right away. Currently a defender getting burnt after missing his hit along the boards or a forward making a full speed attack to the puck carrier on the blue line just for him to pass it off to an uncovered guy and continue the cycle are my 2 favourites plays to watch every game. The lack of adjustments is mind boggling.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
There are teams with an ‘06 of ‘07 RD that I think NB would have to consider trading Nelson to; Guelph, SSM, OS, and Mississauga.
But if Mathurin proves healthy and a seller will accept mostly 2026-27 picks, I think NB adds a winger; and, makes a D swap if possible.
If Mathurin get healthy I’d love Saginaw to add him.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
We have to deal with the 3 headed goalie monster in some fashion. I see Robertson as the odd man out and McIvor gets the net next season. To quote a friend’s observation of the game on Wednesday “If this is what the 24 and 31 less future looks like....” and if that’s accurate next season will be a long one as the Soo’s speed and forecheck spent the majority of the night behind our D.
My best guess is they keep DiVincentiis in the hopes that he can a) mentor McIvor and b) regain his form and carry the team through a round or maybe 2. With Nelson (biggest potential return for anyone on our roster) move him for picks and a D from one of the noted teams above. That along with their current draft pick cupboard and the ones that will be returned from the conditionals in the Fantilli trade they “could” be competitive again next year with a very young team. While I expect Mississauga to dominate the East next year North Bay could get back in the top 4.
It’s easy to coach good teams (the last two seasons) but now that we’re a middle of the road team we’re seeing the same coach that left Flint in his first HC gig?

There is no way NB can come close to replacing Christopolous & Nelson in time to be competitive next season. Barrie, Miss, Kingston, Brantford, Oshawa, probably Ottawa & Niagara are more set for next season than NB.
It will be a rebuild year.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
All time series: Stan Butler 2 North Bay Battalion 0. Nice run of penalties in the last 10 min. with the game on the line: Cap’n 2 hooking; D-Wake 2 cross checking; Cap’n 2 boarding.

Just wondering. Were Dom and Ty left out to recover from the stress of the national team camp? (Note: Barkey, Donovan, Ludwinski and Buchinger all played tonight). If so, will they be in the lineup Sat. vs. NIA, or do they need a full 2 weeks?

Did an injury cause the goalie change?

Reactions: Samee987

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
All time series: Stan Butler 2 North Bay Battalion 0. Nice run of penalties in the last 10 min. with the game on the line: Cap’n 2 hooking; D-Wake 2 cross checking; Cap’n 2 boarding.

Just wondering. Were Dom and Ty left out to recover from the stress of the national team camp? (Note: Barkey, Donovan, Ludwinski and Buchinger all played tonight). If so, will they be in the lineup Sat. vs. NIA, or do they need a full 2 weeks?

I don’t think there was any injury. I think our guy bumped into one of your skaters who fell into Robertson. There was a broken stick on the play for North Bay which led the officials to not make any call. I think they took him out as precaution. He seemed to skate fine coming out for the 3rd to go to the bench. Most likely just took the wind out of him.

Reactions: SeniorJuniorFan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Just a hunch, the Battalion don’t feel the weekend games mean enough to expose DiVincentiis & Nelson to an illness going through the team.
Oullahen and Romani had the look of ill to me. Or maybe just really tired and ready for a break, Idk.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeniorJuniorFan

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Any idea if Nelson and DiVincentiis are getting traded? What’s the deal with them both not playing 2 games they could’ve played right before the Christmas break? If someone knows about a potential deal do you know the team?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Any idea if Nelson and DiVincentiis are getting traded? What’s the deal with them both not playing 2 games they could’ve played right before the Christmas break? If someone knows about a potential deal do you know the team?
The way this team looks, I'd sincerely hope they pull the trigger on both of them. This team just doesn't have the depth to make a deep playoff run.

When it comes to them not playing, I assume it's because the team is on the road. They probably told the two of them to enjoy their holidays after they came back from camp.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The way this team looks, I'd sincerely hope they pull the trigger on both of them. This team just doesn't have the depth to make a deep playoff run.

When it comes to them not playing, I assume it's because the team is on the road. They probably told the two of them to enjoy their holidays after they came back from camp.

All it would take for NB to be a top contender in the east is a healthy Mathurin and a middle six winger.
Exchanging D depth for an experienced #4 LD that can box out the crease area would pretty much be all-in.

VanSteensel-Wakely-Romani
Ertel-Arnsby-X (trade)
Pazii-Procsyzyn-Therrien
Cooke-(Kostuch)-Amidovski

Mathurin-Nelson
Cajkovic-Christopolous
McDowell-Kennedy
Turley

That is a contender imo.
I put Kostuch in brackets for the possibility of a trade for Hayes & Smith.
Though I do think a player like Alfano or Bryant for picks would be sufficient.

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
All it would take for NB to be a top contender in the east is a healthy Mathurin and a middle six winger.
Exchanging D depth for an experienced #4 LD that can box out the crease area would pretty much be all-in.

VanSteensel-Wakely-Romani
Ertel-Arnsby-X (trade)
Pazii-Procsyzyn-Therrien
Cooke-(Kostuch)-Amidovski

Mathurin-Nelson
Cajkovic-Christopolous
McDowell-Kennedy
Turley

That is a contender imo.
I put Kostuch in brackets for the possibility of a trade for Hayes & Smith.
Though I do think a player like Alfano or Bryant for picks would be sufficient.
I think Arnsby neuters the offense on his line though. They're a one line team most nights. Once the deadline passes, I think the Battalion are looking at 6th or 7th seed in the East. The guys at the top with deeper pockets will be adding the bigger pieces.

I get the optimistic outlook looking at their position in the standings, but if you looked a little deeper, they're a team that struggles to outscore their problems and their defensive depth dries up quickly with a single injury or illness.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think Arnsby neuters the offense on his line though. They're a one line team most nights. Once the deadline passes, I think the Battalion are looking at 6th or 7th seed in the East. The guys at the top with deeper pockets will be adding the bigger pieces.

I get the optimistic outlook looking at their position in the standings, but if you looked a little deeper, they're a team that struggles to outscore their problems and their defensive depth dries up quickly with a single injury or illness.

If you really watch, there are goals scored 2/3 games created off a clean zone exit by Arnsby. Arnsby is not recognized for his offence, but he most certainly does not neuter it. There really isn’t a better defensive centre and hitter than Arnsby.
Sapovaliv & O.Beck are most certainly much better 2-way players though.

Defensive depth is not a problem for NB. Consolidating it into a top of the league top four is a bit of an issue.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Nelson makes more sense in Guelph IMO. They have the pieces to make it happen.

Tough read on Dom though. Lots of places that could use the upgrade in goal. Doubtful Romani goes anywhere.
With Allen coming back why would they need Nelson?

Soo makes most sense for Nelson. Similar how they picked up Thompson from the Wolves two years ago. Virgilio and Brown and picks to North Bay for Nelson. That's all the Soo will do. They don't want to mess with the chemistry but the added RD will put them in deep into a run.

WJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad