North Bay Battalion 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I’ll guess not.
Since NB has not drafted a RD in the first five rounds of the previous two drafts, Guelph would have the inside track imo. If US bound, Flint has more need and can put together a better package.
I'd have to agree there referencing Guelph. Looking around the league, Beauchesne might be the most logical blue-chip target as a trade return. Makes the most sense positionally.

Saginaw already seems to have their big right shot D with Parekh tearing up the league this year anyways. Not a whole lot of '07s that stand out.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Kennedy, Richter, Amidovski --out
Rismond, Laird, Forgione, DD31 --in vs. Ottawa today.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Thinking back to Fri. afternoon, if someone said: “how about a Meat Loaf” classic song for the road trip weekend? (you know the one – ‘2 out of 3 ain’t bad’), I’m all in. But after taking the first 2, even though the loss in the 3rd (in 2+ days) was to a very good/elite team, I have to admit to being just slightly disappointed. If the 1st line could have sneaked 1 in somehow today, the outcome might have been different.

However. Although the attackers were firing on all cylinders, I’m not sure allowing 15 in 3 (including 2 6-packs for the Dom-inator) is the formula for success. As DDV’s GAA continues its relentless climb to the 4.00 mark (now 3.75) and with a SV% of .875, I have 2 questions: Has Dom played himself off Team Canada’s tournament invite list?; and, Is his trade value much lower than many would have predicted a month or 2 ago?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It’s just a 5-6 week slump, he will snap out of it?
It might just take a change like a team Canada camp or Christmas break

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Four out of a possible six points is a fairly successful weekend considering it was three games in a row vs quality opponents. For those complaining about this year’s lack of scoring, those three games featured 20 Battalion goals.
Coaches like to talk about a balanced attack and in the Kingston game it was 8 goals from 8 different players - balanced attack? - check.
Coaches also like to talk about getting off to a fast start and in the Petes game it was 6-1 for the Troops at the end of the first period - fast start? - check.
Some issues continue to be outstanding - the parade of Battalion penalties for one. The 67’s went ahead to stay while two Battalion players were in the box. Without those penalties the outcome might have been different. Another issue is D.D. - so far this season his play has not been comparable to last season’s standard and why? - who knows. Either his achievements last year have gone to his head or perhaps he has some undisclosed injury that he’s keeping to himself. Either way, Robertson and McIvor both look like reliable alternatives.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Anyone open to an O/A trade? Ertel for Punnett. We need toughness in our zone.

Love Punnet’s game, but no as it would be too costly. It might take Ertel plus 3, 4 picks or maybe more, then you would have to replace Ertel who has been excellent.

Reactions: yacky

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Love Punnet’s game, but no as it would be too costly. It might take Ertel plus 3, 4 picks or maybe more, then you would have to replace Ertel who has been excellent.

The better option may be to trade Ertel and use those assets plus a couple more for Punnet. I doubt Barrie would value Ertel the same way a contender would. Ertel would fit in rather nicely with Mississauga.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The better option may be to trade Ertel and use those assets plus a couple more for Punnet. I doubt Barrie would value Ertel the same way a contender would. Ertel would fit in rather nicely with Mississauga.

True. But Ertel would still need to be replaced which would be very difficult I think

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Like it seems with almost every other team, it depends on whether they buy or sell…

Can’t rely on the play of the returning goalie of year, never sell for an uncertain future if you can win now imo.
The decision will be based on the availability of Mathurin and/or a ridiculously good offer for Nelson

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Can’t rely on the play of the returning goalie of year, never sell for an uncertain future if you can win now imo.
The decision will be based on the availability of Mathurin and/or a ridiculously good offer for Nelson

I think they would get the ridiculous offer for Nelson. IMO, he may be the best player available when all is said and done.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think they would get the ridiculous offer for Nelson. IMO, he may be the best player available when all is said and done.

If both of the Petes & Rangers can turn down offers for their top RD, you may be right in that Nelson nets the largest return.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If both of the Petes & Rangers can turn down offers for their top RD, you may be right in that Nelson nets the largest return.

I’m making the assumption that Kitchener will not sel. If they were to, HB would be the highest valued D-Man and Rehkopf would be the highest valued forward. The Rehkopf deal would look like the Beck deal last year without any doubt.

I don’t see a Petes D-Man worth what Nelson is worth right now. Mayer is a good d-Man and so is McCoy but neither are worth what Nelson is. Mayer is an OA and inherently is worth less than the 19 year old Because you can only have 3 of them. Adding Nelson has zero impact on any other deals that team makes.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’m making the assumption that Kitchener will not sel. If they were to, HB would be the highest valued D-Man and Rehkopf would be the highest valued forward. The Rehkopf deal would look like the Beck deal last year without any doubt.

I don’t see a Petes D-Man worth what Nelson is worth right now. Mayer is a good d-Man and so is McCoy but neither are worth what Nelson is. Mayer is an OA and inherently is worth less than the 19 year old Because you can only have 3 of them. Adding Nelson has zero impact on any other deals that team makes.

I don’t think a player like Martin will be made available and Kitchener is in way better shape than Mississauga last season, so I doubt Rehkopf gets moved.

McCoy would be the top 1.5 season RD available I think. He would cost a lot and be worth it imo. McCoy and Beck to Flint or Guelph would be a game changer.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don’t think a player like Martin will be made available and Kitchener is in way better shape than Mississauga last season, so I doubt Rehkopf gets moved.

McCoy would be the top 1.5 season RD available I think. He would cost a lot and be worth it imo. McCoy and Beck to Flint or Guelph would be a game changer.

How often to 19 year old 1.5 season guys, no matter how good they are, go for more than the former #1 overall pick D-Man that is arguably top 3 at his position in the league?

There are maybe 3 or 4 players that could become available that will likely be traded for an ‘07 plus picks. Nelson is one of them. Beck is another. Barlow undoubtedly would if OS were to make him available. There are other players but those guys are not as likely to be moved.

McCoy is a good player. I don’t want to come across as disingenuous but I’m not sure they’d get a significant player in that deal. They’d be more likely to get only draft picks in a similar deal to Hache last year. /Most teams in a win now scenario are not paying a premium for a player returning as an OA. They want the full force of that players value to be realized this year. The exception being 18 year olds because they can get a similar return minus about 20-30% when they trade the player the following year (Beck as an example).

Nelson and McCoy aren’t playing in the same ballpark when it comes to trade value. Great player but not in Nelson’s league. McCoy ticks off different boxes but the boxes he ticks off are valued less than the 70+ point D-Man playing from the right side.

If Kitchener were to decide to sell, they’d turn the trade market upside down overnight. I dont’ see it happening but if it did? Wowzers.

Reactions: Uncle

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
How often to 19 year old 1.5 season guys, no matter how good they are, go for more than the former #1 overall pick D-Man that is arguably top 3 at his position in the league?

There are maybe 3 or 4 players that could become available that will likely be traded for an ‘07 plus picks. Nelson is one of them. Beck is another. Barlow undoubtedly would if OS were to make him available. There are other players but those guys are not as likely to be moved.

McCoy is a good player. I don’t want to come across as disingenuous but I’m not sure they’d get a significant player in that deal. They’d be more likely to get only draft picks in a similar deal to Hache last year. /Most teams in a win now scenario are not paying a premium for a player returning as an OA. They want the full force of that players value to be realized this year. The exception being 18 year olds because they can get a similar return minus about 20-30% when they trade the player the following year (Beck as an example).

Nelson and McCoy aren’t playing in the same ballpark when it comes to trade value. Great player but not in Nelson’s league. McCoy ticks off different boxes but the boxes he ticks off are valued less than the 70+ point D-Man playing from the right side.

If Kitchener were to decide to sell, they’d turn the trade market upside down overnight. I dont’ see it happening but if it did? Wowzers.

I posted McCoy would go for a lot and be worth it.
McCoy was brought up be me as ‘possibly the top RD [if Kitchener & NB don’t make their RD available.’]
Maybe, you misinterpreted ‘Nelson could net the largest return if Petes and Rangers can resist offers for their RD’. That was in response to your post that Nelson could return the most of all available at the deadline.

I see McCoy as particularly valuable to Flint as he helps a lot now, and helps soften the impact of their 2023 - 2nd & 3rd round selected D not signing.

Last edited:
Reactions: OMG67

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
I think the female referee experiment should be over......terrible!!!

How does Therrien not get a star selection?? Kid is tough as nails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad