Salary Cap: Nonis sits at #20 in the league salary cap with 2 players to sign.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I disagree.

He's a valuable piece of our PK and his work on the dot can't be replaced by someone that can play 20mins a night.

Wasn't he 4th for PK TOI? And while his 52% is above average, I'd hardly call that something that is difficult to replace.

MrLegend28*

i'll take clarkson/bozak/kadri over bozak/kadri/franson 100/100 times.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
#1 Center?

Other players w/ ~$4.2M cap hit. There are some obvious sweetheart deals here and some that aren't. Overall I'd argue $4.2M for a player of Bozak's level is within reason.

Dubinsky
Fisher
Eriksson
Chris Stewart
JVR
Booth
Hornqvist
Callahan
David Jones
Brian Bickell
PA Parentau
M. Michalek
D. Stafford
Hudler
Ladd
Versteeg

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Other players w/ ~$4.2M cap hit. There are some obvious sweetheart deals here and some that aren't. Overall I'd argue $4.2M for a player of Bozak's level is within reason.

Dubinsky
Fisher
Eriksson
Chris Stewart
JVR
Booth
Hornqvist
Callahan
David Jones
Brian Bickell
PA Parentau
M. Michalek
D. Stafford
Hudler
Ladd
Versteeg

What does that have to do with you calling him a #1C? I never said anything about his contract!

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Wasn't he 4th for PK TOI? And while his 52% is above average, I'd hardly call that something that is difficult to replace.

Yes, he was 4th. The 4 forwards RC relied on were McClem/Kulie and Bozak/Komarov. He, along with these players were the ones relied upon to kill penalties.

52% isn't tough to replace? The only player in the NHL that could have replaced the faceoffs that Bozak took (and won) last year is Claude Giroux. How is this not an asset?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
This is why I hate the Clarkson contract... in no way is a 3rd liner in any way worth 5 + million a season. Just ridiculous. Say good bye to either Mcclement or Kulemin next year... Even if the cap rises its going to be tight.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Yes, he was 4th. The 4 forwards RC relied on were McClem/Kulie and Bozak/Komarov. He, along with these players were the ones relied upon to kill penalties.

52% isn't tough to replace? The only player in the NHL that could have replaced the faceoffs that Bozak took (and won) last year is Claude Giroux. How is this not an asset?
Thank you! Blue Devil's comment made me seriously go :huh: I was just about to type up your identical post :yo:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Bozak was a good signing....it is a moveable contract if needed.

He lead all forwards in ice time as was played in all situations. He centered the number one line of a playoff team.

Was a key component of one of the top pk in the league. He has centered 3 different wingers to career years....So under rated.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Here is why I think we bought out Komi over Liles

Komi did us a favour by agreeing to be sent down....I believe that as part of that we promised him a buyout in exchange.

It wasn't really an either/or - could have amnestied Liles and used a regular buyout on Komi.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Speaking of bad contracts ... is Bozak's any better?

If you don't feel he is a good fit for a Stanley Cup team, then maybe it didn't make sense to re-sign him at all.

But in terms of money, he's certainly not overpaid for the role he has on the team... he's not a legitimate first line centre, but he doesn't make legitimate first line centre money either - and he does come with some nice-to-haves (PK, penalty shots, faceoffs) that add to his value.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Bozak isn't worth anywhere close to what he's getting and the signing will be an anchor in the coming years . Nonis did the same thing Burke did by resigning Grabo , both put short term needs ahead of what's best for the future .

Clarkson and he's contract will become the whipping boy for Leafs fans 2-3 years from now .

can you please give me the lottery numbers this week since you can
see into the future so well:naughty:

DjD4GGR

Jun 15, 2010
Gatineau, Quebec
im sure Nonis has a plan. Liles has trade value because PMDs are very hard to find so im sure Nonis has an offer on the table for him in which we would retain some of his salary. That said the reason why Nonis hasn't pulled the trigger is because he's waiting for Franson and Kadri's agents to bite first and sign at reasonable deals to fit in the cap. There's still plenty of time left before training camp so Nonis is using that as an advantage so yall need to relax and enjoy the rest of the summer ;)

HDMiBarry

Jul 28, 2013
That's an interesting stat; but it doesn't dissolve our problem, which is that the two players we have left to sign are worth more than the money we have left to pay them.

Knowing where that money went doesn't help things either.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

Thank you! Blue Devil's comment made me seriously go :huh: I was just about to type up your identical post :yo:

Total SHTOI/G
McClemment: 175.59 3.39
Kulemin: 105.02 2.11
Komarov: 76.00 1.48
Bozak: 75.31 1.38

Yeah, I'm the crazy one. The only time he got long shifts was when he lost a FO and we got stuck in our zone. He wasn't on because he's a great PK'er or some defensive stud that people like to make him out to be, he was put out to try and win the FO and get to the bench as soon as possible.

And here ya go since it's so hard for you to get actual stats:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....C&country=&status=&viewName=faceOffPercentage

There were 20 centers with a better FO% then Bozak last season. But again thanks.

If you count players with 800+, then he ranks 11th.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Here is why I think we bought out Komi over Liles

Komi did us a favour by agreeing to be sent down....I believe that as part of that we promised him a buyout in exchange.

This also gave us money cap space this year when the cap is at its lowest.

We are no where near as bad off as some on here think we are....so many options ....not the least of which is that we are talking about signing two RFA.

I like the resigning of Bozak as he is so much better than what some on here paint him to be....he is not paid as a number one center but as a number two, which is fair. The available centers on the market would not have filled the role that Bozak did last season and they were seeking more money.

He asked to be sent down so he could play.

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
Folks, everyone keeps saying Leafs have 5m of cap space left, but if capgeek site is the source then I think they have quite a bit more actually... here's how - look at some players that it's counting as being on the Leafs roster:

Joe Colborne 600k (not exactly a lock to make the team)
Trevor Smith 550k (wtf is Trevor Smith? :)
Paul Ranger 1m (again, likely will keep playing on the Marlies)
Holzer 787k (Marlies bound)

So.... that combined is close to 3m in cap space... maybe one or two of those guys does make the team, but either way, it appears there's a bit more than 5m available to sign Kadri and Franson, no?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Folks, everyone keeps saying Leafs have 5m of cap space left, but if capgeek site is the source then I think they have quite a bit more actually... here's how - look at some players that it's counting as being on the Leafs roster:

Joe Colborne 600k (not exactly a lock to make the team)
Trevor Smith 550k (wtf is Trevor Smith? :)
Paul Ranger 1m (again, likely will keep playing on the Marlies)
Holzer 787k (Marlies bound)

So.... that combined is close to 3m in cap space... maybe one or two of those guys does make the team, but either way, it appears there's a bit more than 5m available to sign Kadri and Franson, no?

Colborne and Ranger will make the Team. The Leafs won't risk losing them to waivers at this point.

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
Colborne and Ranger will make the Team. The Leafs won't risk losing them to waivers at this point.

Sure, but even if Ranger makes the team (didn't he actually prefer to play on the Marlies? I thought that was the word), Holzer doesn't, unless Leafs carry 8 dmen (Phaneuf, Gunnar, Franson, Gardiner, Fraser, Liles, Ranger and... Holzer?)

So it'll be safe to say Holzer and Smith are Marlie bound... freeing up 1.3m or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad