Non-Minnesota NHL News XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Mays Here*

It's a steep price for Rask, but damn is he ever a good goaltender. It's ridiculous how fast and athletic he is. He and Quick are probably my favorite goaltenders to watch simply because of how well they move around the crease. They make Backstrom look like he's stuck in quicksand.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No doubt he's good... but there hasn't been a long term big money deal for a goaltender that has been good for the team that signed them in recent years at all.

Looking at the B's board... they don't seem too pleased about the contract either.

Last edited:

Billy Mays Here*

No doubt he's good... but there hasn't been a long term big money deal for a goaltender that has been good for the team that signed them in recent years at all.

Looking at the B's board... they don't seem too pleased about the contract either.

Yeah my dad and I were just discussing yesterday which goaltenders have actually fully lived up to their (regular season) expectations and have been consistent over the last four years or so. About the only names we could come up with were Lundqvist and to a bit lesser extent Niemi and Miller. You go through just about every starter in the league and they've all had at least one rather down year in that time frame. I think Rask is about as capable as any goaltender though to keep up or at least stay relatively near his current level of play.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yet... he has yet to put a full season as a #1 goaltender under his belt. How a guy gets this much of a payday as an RFA without even being a full season starter yet is beyond me.

The Bruins out-negotiated themselves! Nobody was putting their feet to the fire to get this long/big of a contract. They'd have been better off letting someone try to offer-sheet him.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah my dad and I were just discussing yesterday which goaltenders have actually fully lived up to their (regular season) expectations and have been consistent over the last four years or so. About the only names we could come up with were Lundqvist and to a bit lesser extent Niemi and Miller. You go through just about every starter in the league and they've all had at least one rather down year in that time frame. I think Rask is about as capable as any goaltender though to keep up or at least stay relatively near his current level of play.

Quick? Backstrom?

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Quick was not very good this past season, and Backstrom has barely been a top 10-15 goalie avg through his last deal.

So no.

Lundqvist is really the only consistently top 3-5 goalies for the past 5-6yrs.

Just wait for Rinne to play 5-6 years. Then he will definitely be in this. That guy, oh man. He gets my goalie blood flowing. no homo

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Just wait for Rinne to play 5-6 years. Then he will definitely be in this. That guy, oh man. He gets my goalie blood flowing. no homo

I could definitely see Rinne getting there with how consistent he's been the past couple years for sure. Especially with the Defense that plays in front of him. I still wouldn't even give him 7 for 8.

I wouldn't want to pay "most" goaltenders more than $4m per... I wouldn't want to pay an elite goaltender more than $5.5m per. Goaltender is too deep of a position and there is not much of a drop off between elite and above avg, and even a smaller gap between above avg and avg.

Also, with the inconsistency overall in the players at the position, keep them to 4-5yrs at the most please.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I could definitely see Rinne getting there with how consistent he's been the past couple years for sure. Especially with the Defense that plays in front of him. I still wouldn't even give him 7 for 8.

I wouldn't want to pay "most" goaltenders more than $4m per... I wouldn't want to pay an elite goaltender more than $5.5m per. Goaltender is too deep of a position and there is not much of a drop off between elite and above avg, and even a smaller gap between above avg and avg.

Also, with the inconsistency overall in the players at the position, keep them to 4-5yrs at the most please.

I would give Rinne 7 for 8 in an absolute heartbeat. However, I don't think any other goaltender deserves that. Lundqvist and Quick are close seconds.

But if Hasek's prime was happening now, you can't deny he'd be worth the money.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Quick was not very good this past season, and Backstrom has barely been a top 10-15 goalie avg through his last deal.

So no.

Lundqvist is really the only consistently top 3-5 goalies for the past 5-6yrs.

Thought he ended better. My mistake on Quick. Backstrom though has been consistent. Maybe not the price we were looking for but consistent and didn't have a lot of highs and lows. Just basically solid thorough his career.

Howard, I don't think gets a lot of credit. Yes, his sophomore season was rough but that's how sophomore seasons go. He's been consistently great for the past 3/4 years.

Here's one; Vokoun. Guy has been underrated his entire career. Hasn't posted <.910 since 2003/2004. That's pretty damn solid. This was the first year as well he was under 40 games.

Miller also has been pretty solid the past 4 years. Consistent, solid. Large GAA but high SV%

Hiller has also been pretty consistent as well.

You're not going to find a guy that is going to be a Brodeur or a Roy. But there are guys out there that post consistently good numbers even on bad teams.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I would give Rinne 7 for 8 in an absolute heartbeat. However, I don't think any other goaltender deserves that. Lundqvist and Quick are close seconds.

But if Hasek's prime was happening now, you can't deny he'd be worth the money.

Good luck predicting who's going to be Hasek in his prime. The Islanders thought they had that with Dipietro, then the Canucks thought they had that in Luongo, now the Bruins think they have that in Rask...

Chances are you're better off letting someone else make that gamble. Keep the top cap dollars invested in the skaters in front of the goaltender and you're better off.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You're not going to find a guy that is going to be a Brodeur or a Roy. But there are guys out there that post consistently good numbers even on bad teams.
That's my point, in today's NHL there are so many "solid" guys out there, you don't need a Brodeur or Hasek or Roy. Just stick with the avg to above avg guys and don't overpay like the Wild did with Backstrom's long deal and you're good!

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
That's my point, in today's NHL there are so many "solid" guys out there, you don't need a Brodeur or Hasek or Roy. Just stick with the avg to above avg guys and don't overpay like the Wild did with Backstrom's long deal and you're good!

Problem is though is finding that one guy that fits your system. Look at Tampa Bay, Toronto, and Philadelphia (to name a few). How many goaltenders did they go through? How many are they going through?

Columbus as well.

Yes, there are a lot of solid guys out there but they usually stick to one team due to these contact extensions.

Once Backstrom leaves, Minnesota might end up being in the same boat.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Problem is though is finding that one guy that fits your system. Look at Tampa Bay, Toronto, and Philadelphia (to name a few). How many goaltenders did they go through? How many are they going through?

Columbus as well.

Yes, there are a lot of solid guys out there but they usually stick to one team due to these contact extensions.

Once Backstrom leaves, Minnesota might end up being in the same boat.
I think that has more to do with the scouting department and goaltending coaches than anything else. Look at teams like Minnesota... NEVER have they been weak in goal in the history of the franchise. They seem to always have good talent in the system and on the team and know how to coach them to their potential.

Some teams just know one position better than other teams. Tampa simply has been goalie inept.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Good luck predicting who's going to be Hasek in his prime. The Islanders thought they had that with Dipietro, then the Canucks thought they had that in Luongo, now the Bruins think they have that in Rask...

Chances are you're better off letting someone else make that gamble. Keep the top cap dollars invested in the skaters in front of the goaltender and you're better off.

None of them put up near the save percentage as Hasek. Hasek too an average team and made them cup contenders. Hasek's prime is above Brodeur and Roy's, no if ands or buts about it. They were just on superior teams.

TaLoN said:
Tampa simply has been goalie inept.

And defense.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think that has more to do with the scouting department and goaltending coaches than anything else.

And that's the point. You have to have a good goaltending coach but you also have to have a good goaltender to work with that coach.

Look at teams like Minnesota... NEVER have they been weak in goal in the history of the franchise. They seem to always have good talent in the system and on the team and know how to coach them to their potential.

We've only had three starting goaltenders really. We haven't really faced a time where we have to develop our own goaltender. And to be honest, it's a bit scary. Backstrom was already developed by the time he got here. Roloson and Fernandez both were journeyman and had a good system when they got here.

Some teams just know one position better than other teams. Tampa simply has been goalie inept.

They had Khabby and he did well with them. Sometimes it's the goalie, sometimes it's the coaches and sometimes it's both. But if you have a goaltender, you make sure you keep them.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Goaltending in the NHL now, it's so easy to find the next Backstrom it's crazy. You get a decent goalie you keep them as long as you can keep them at a reasonable price... if not move the hell on! Don't waste cap space at the position at the cost of talent in front of said goaltender.

Guys like Crawford can win the Cup!

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Goaltending in the NHL now, it's so easy to find the next Backstrom it's crazy. You get a decent goalie you keep them as long as you can keep them at a reasonable price... if not move the hell on! Don't waste cap space at the position at the cost of talent in front of said goaltender.

Guys like Crawford can win the Cup!

Guys like Crawford with Giguere sized pads and the NHLs best team in front of him.

I do agree that goalies are overpaid. Jimmy Howard is pretty much at the max contract I'd give. Goalies are easy to find if you are playing the right system. Otherwise its mostly miss.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Guys like Crawford with Giguere sized pads and the NHLs best team in front of him.

I do agree that goalies are overpaid. Jimmy Howard is pretty much at the max contract I'd give. Goalies are easy to find if you are playing the right system. Otherwise its mostly miss.

That's why you save the cap for the skaters!

Every team that wins the cup is the NHL's best team... right? ;)

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Yes, but there are exceptions to the rule. There are plenty of skaters that have gotten paid when it'd be better to just trade them and get some prospects and picks. In fact, I believe the first Oakland A's hockey team would be a perpetual '10 Blackhawks Cup hunters

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yes, but there are exceptions to the rule. There are plenty of skaters that have gotten paid when it'd be better to just trade them and get some prospects and picks. In fact, I believe the first Oakland A's hockey team would be a perpetual '10 Blackhawks Cup hunters

There are exceptions to EVERY rule... :p:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad